Someone told me not to waste my money

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I was talking to someone on the phone the other day about miniature horses and mentioned that I would LOVE to have my little colt shown but when I mentioned that he was AMHR registered, and not AMHA, they told me it was a waste of time and money to promote an "R" only horse... is this true ?

Here in our area AMHR horses sell very well, and I have seen a very decent market for them. I love the look of my colt, and he's so proud and quite frankly... arrogant.

He thinks he's king of the world, and was prancing and pawing at my stallion when he was only 3 weeks old.... I may be barn blind... but I think he's show quality... I may be wrong though....

Do you think it would be a "waste" of time and money to show and promote this "R-only" colt ?

stallions_mage_june_8_2005_1.jpg
stallions_mage_june_8_2005_4.jpg

stallions_mage_june_8_2005_2.jpg
stallions_mage_june_8_2005_3.jpg

i think your colt is a cutie and it is not a waste to promote an R only horse. Frankly I only show A if it happens to be at an R show and sometimes and not even then since I can afford only one or the other and there are more R shows here.

My answer to that is..... BULL-HUNKY. You have an adorable colt. Show him!

And your post also should answer your questions too......the fact that AMHR horses are selling well in your area.

That person you talked to has blinders on and is living in the 1990's as far as the world of today's miniature horses.

MA

Liar they are.

R horses are just as popular as A horses. My two mares ar R, and my show mare is doing just fine with it.

You have a cute colt, I say Show away! I would show R next year but the closest one is in Pennsylvania. So when I show my new colt next year (A and R registered) Im going to do A mostly, but I would love to squeeze in an R show

I have a double registered stallion, he's got a fantastic pedigree, triple FWF Blue Boy on the bottom of his 4 gen. pedigree, and Alfalfa Pleasure, Alfalfa Please, King Supreme, and Hussler on top... so he comes from a combination of reputable horses that have produced quality after quality... and he's no sap to look at... may not be a national champion horse, but he's pretty (I think).

stallion_bravo_july_8_2005_2.jpg
stallion_bravo_july_8_2005_1.jpg

But even though the above stallion has more pedigree power, and is double registered, I would still rather promote my "R only" colt above because he just seems to have a quality and attitude that I think would take him further than "Bravo" would. (the stallion pictured above).

Would I be a fool to promote my "R only" colt when I have a double registered one who already has a pedigree that's been in the show ring numerous times with great success, even though I honestly feel like the "R only" horse has more potential ?

If you could show only one of the two... would you show the young "R only" colt, or the 2 year old double reg. stallion ?

Mary Ann is right and said it much nicer than I would have.

People that believe that AMHA is the end all have to get into the 21st century. The competition is very tough and the quality of horses in AMHR is every bit as good as AMHA.

I have been with diehard AMHA people at their first AMHR show and watched as their jaws hit the ground in amazement of the beauty in the ring.

Well you can join ME in wasting money showing R only horses. I have all AMHR only horses (five of them) and I show them all every year.

wink.gif

Andrea

disneyhorse said:
Well you can join ME in wasting money showing R only horses.  I have all AMHR only horses (five of them) and I show them all every year.
wink.gif

Andrea

422628[/snapback]

Yep - Here in SoCal, there are way more "R" shows than "A" shows, and there are more horses and more people at the "R" shows!

I'm not going to pretend to judge the quality of the colt or whether or not it would be a waste of money to show him. I'm sure there are plenty of people who waste money on showing "A" only horses also.

In my opinion, I like the colt better than the stallion. But that doesn't mean I am right.

I do think that having a double registered horse gives you twice the exposure and therefore more bang for your buck. Maybe that was what they were refering to.

Why would it be any more a waste of your money to show in AMHR than in AMHA? You should be showing because you love doing it and want your horse to be seen. Go for it. AMHR shows are very popular and competion, from what I have seen, is really good! Mary

Chaos Ranch said:
I was talking to someone on the phone the other day about miniature horses and mentioned that I would LOVE to have my little colt shown but when I mentioned that he was AMHR registered, and not AMHA, they told me it was a waste of time and money to promote an "R" only horse... is this true ?   Here in our area AMHR horses sell very well, and I have seen a very decent market for them. I love the look of my colt, and he's so proud and quite frankly... arrogant.

He thinks he's king of the world, and was prancing and pawing at my stallion when he was only 3 weeks old.... I may be barn blind... but I think he's show quality... I may be wrong though....

Do you think it would be a "waste" of time and money to show and promote this "R-only" colt ?

stallions_mage_june_8_2005_1.jpg
stallions_mage_june_8_2005_4.jpg

stallions_mage_june_8_2005_2.jpg
stallions_mage_june_8_2005_3.jpg

422596[/snapback]

[SIZE=14pt]Kim, I ONLY show AMHR even though I have some double registered horses. Personally I like you colt much better than your stallion pedigree or not. Go ahead and show that baby, he would beat that stallion in the ring anyway! Please no offense I just call it like I see it. See you at some R shows..... I think they are more worth the money and you get more for what you spend.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only one comment...

risa8.gif
risa8.gif
risa8.gif
risa8.gif
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I have only AMHR horses. I prefer B sized horses because I am a B sized woman!!
risa_suelos.gif
Showing is for FUN!! Do it because you like it...no other reason. I have to agree that your colt is REALLY cute, and you should show him...he's nice so why not?? I have found from personal experience that when you go to a show with the idea of personal gain, or how much it can get you...it ceases to be fun.

It has been pointed out to me by various non-horsey people that showing is a waste of money and time. I then point out to them that I have more fun than they do, so leave me alone!
biggrin.gif

Enjoy showing off your pretty boy...and tell that person to take a flying leap!

Kim R.

Oh my gosh, WHO told you that?!!! Have you been to R Nationals? Compare the attendance with A, and also for the bigger horses- watch the movement in the Liberty and Driving classes and then watch the movement in the small horse classes! My horses are both, but I LOVE showing R!!!!

I am glad you all said everything you said. It confirms what feels "right" to me. I have never shown a horse in anything but a county fair, and it was one of the most fun things I have ever done... but I have 5 kids... so going off to the shows is pretty far out of my range of ability.

What I would like to do is I would like to find a trainer possibly for next year that would train and show my little "Mage" for me because I think he would do great. I am no expert... In fact, I am so far below the experts that I can't even see the bottoms of their feet... but I know my gut tells me that winning has almost as much to do with attitude and carriage as it does with color and flash. This boy thinks he is a winner already. He has confidence that I think a trainer would appreciate. But... would waiting until he's a yearling and starting him with a trainer be too late ? What should he be shown in ? Halter ? Liberty ? I know nothing about what he would do best at. Maybe a good trainer could evaluate him and advise me of his best abilities ?

I do agree that a double reg. horse has more marketing potential, and I am not knocking "A" horses at all... I love all of them... but I Just felt a bit bad that it was a mindset in any miniature horse breeders outlook that "R only" horses were a waste of time and money in the show ring or promotion field.

I do agree that there is a much bigger market for double registered horses, but speaking for myself, and only myself, "A" papers don't make my decision on whether or not a horse is worthy. Also, if a horse is "A" only, I am more likely to pass it over now unless it's quality is so amazingly outstanding that it's worth the 200-400 to put it into "R".

Money is hard to come by here, and I don't want to burn up one single opportunity to do it right. I don't feel it is in my financial best interest to promote my "Double" stallion because of his registry and pedigree...I could tape or tattoo that pedigree on him and have him taken into the ring and it won't increase his chances of winning!

I feel in my heart that the colt has more potential than the stallion It's also not that the colt has no pedigree of his own.. he's a Bond Lochinvar (sp?) grandson and a Bond Dynamo and Orion great grandson... but when I look at him, and watch him I can't tell that he's not double registered. He's still got quality no matter how many pieces of paper have his name on them.

A great pedigree is only as good as the production consistancy... right ? And... a good bloodline has to start somewhere...

Iknow of plenty of people like me who have R programs. I could care less if something is reg AMHA - I look for AMHR

Not a waste!!!

This is what I think we should all do!

When minis are advertised we see on the ad stating AMHR only. This word "only "always feels a little derogatory. We should all do what I do and say.... EXCLUSIVELY AMHR! Sounds better, nicer and not minimizing the value of a single registry horse.

When I began in minis I was told the same thing. It's bull@#$@! You should SEE the R shows here in NY! AMAZING horses. I have all R horses and some are both. I do not show but shame on anyone who would tell you not to waste your time on that colt! He'll kick some serious butt I promise. I don't show again, but I do spectate. I love him and agree with Lyn. Get him out there. The biggest compliment to any stallion is a better foal that himself.

Amen Dimi- a good horse is a good horse, regardless of what papers it has!!

Showing whatever,

it is only a waste of money if you hate doing it and do not enjoy spending that type of quality time with your horses. Both before and during the show itself.

Latest posts

Back