Someone told me not to waste my money

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps this was said by someone who does not like how the AMHR shows are becoming more popular. If you have been around like we have (since 86 ) you know the A show attendance numbers over all have decreased & the R show attendance has increased............ I had a friend quote me the costs of showing in an A show this year then showing the same horses at an R show. Hundreds of dollars less for the latter......................... All of our horses are double registered & we showed strictly AMHA shows until a few years ago. We are now showing R & shetlands. We are putting out a whole lot less money & having just as much success in the show ring & fun as before, if not more......................... Like everything else, your success depends upon several factors. You could fail or not do well with an A horse only just as easily with an R horse only. It is left up to you. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth be told, if it's an amazing horse, it will still be an amazing horse no matter what registry.

I think your colt is very really cute, and you should show him!

Showing whatever,it is only a waste of money if you hate doing it and do not enjoy spending that type of quality time with your horses. Both before and during the show itself.
Frankie is right. If you love to do it, and are having fun, then it's not a waste. The way I see it, it's an investment in your happiness!
laugh.gif
wink.gif

We should all do what I do and say.... EXCLUSIVELY AMHR!
Hehehe...
risa8.gif
that one made me smile... I love it.
wink.gif

Erin

Go have fun, learn, and enjoy yourself. We only go to the R shows and most of our horses are AMHR and ASPC/AMHR. If it brings you enjoyment its not a waste of money.He is a very nice horse wish you the best.
wub.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

It's all been said. "A waste of money" is a joke. Since I've been hanging out here, I've learned that the R horses actually seem more popular than the A's. Could just be my perception.

In our state, however, all we have are A shows (and only 2 a year
sad.gif
) I still register all my horses in both registries. It just makes them more versatile and maybe more people will be interested in them. I do have one mare that is exclusively R because she is over the A size limit. I wouldn't trade her for the world, even though I can't show her here.

From reading some posts in this thread - it appears that some bias and snobbery goes both ways... and how sad is that. Both registries have quality horses... many that show A one weekend show R the next... so are they better horses on the R weekend then?? NO.

Truth be told, if it's an amazing horse, it will still be an amazing horse no matter what registry.
And THAT ^^^ is exactly right. And a real horseman (used in the generic sense) would know - and would tell you - that a truly good horse has no colour... no breed etc.

FWIW - just because a horse is leggier and taller in Liberty classes - or driving - does not mean it is a better mover than a horse who may be an inch or two shorter. Lousy movement can occur at all levels....

Anyway - the colt as he looks now is of higher quality than the bay stallion... who may be going through a geeky period at 2 years of age - but still falls behind the colt. From these pictures anyway...
wink.gif

A fancy pedigree is only a starting point
wink.gif
- the old saying is - Breed the best to the best and HOPE for the best... and it does not always happen... that is why breeding can be such a gamble...

ohmy.gif
I live in New England where it is basically all A horses. My horses are double registered but I drive either to NY or DE to show R. I have shown A and done exteremely well but I prefer R. The one filly I sold went in less than a week . Granted she has good bloodlines but she is a nice filly and they only show her R. A good horse is a good horse no matter the bloodline . I have double Blue Boy mares and a stallion, but I have seen some extremely BAD Blue Boy horses also. The old saying is Breed the Best to the Best and that is so true. Best meaning HORSE not just pedigree! Linda B
yes.gif

If I have a mini only in one registry I prefer it to be AMHA because I like double registered and it is cheaper to hardship into AMHR, than AMHR into AMHA.

Hope that makes sense
rolleyes.gif

If I have a mini only in one registry I prefer it to be AMHA because I like double registered and it is cheaper to hardship into AMHR, than AMHR into AMHA.

Hope that makes sense
rolleyes.gif

p.s I really like your colt ! You should definately show him
yes.gif

wub.gif
yes.gif
He's a nice colt and akot of horse shere at only r and do just as good as a's so if itds the smae there who cares and who care's anyways he a nice colt too

Kim,

Show that adorable boy!
smile.gif

I love him!! My new champagne filly that I love, is Exclusviely AMHR also :)

Susan O.

I'm an R fan.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
Show your boy! He looks pretty nice to me.

As previously stated a good horse is a good horse!

Kim

I was at an A auction this last weekend. I don't care what registry they are under, some of those horses looked GOOD. Others...well. Regardless, I've seen lesser horses sell for more money from both registries...I've also seen better ones go cheaper. Markets change all the time.

I didn't purchase any horses because we concenetrate on R and there was no mention of any of them being double registered. (From the names, I am almost positive some were, but they didn't state that and I ain't gonna' risk it.) Hardshipping is a growing pain and I'd rather avoid it if possible.

To the point, my ego got the best of me when they brought out a former A Grand National Champion to show him off. I kept thinking how much I like my stallion more than him. However, BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. Everyone has their own bias. If YOU like the colt...show the colt. If YOU look at other colts and still prefer yours...he's YOUR Champion.

For the record: I feel double registered AMHR/ASPC are top notch. I can't help the fact that I love the look of a 32" to 38" Classic Shetland. Opinions vary and I completely respect others that may feel differently.

We show in both Registries, cant understand why people are anti R or anti A we do very well in both and good people in both registeries. Why cant people just get along and not dog either one???? I like them double registered so we can show both. I dont like be restricted to either one.

wpsellwood said:
We show in both Registries, cant understand why people are anti R or anti A we do very well in both and good people in both registeries.  Why cant people just get along and not dog either one???? 
422933[/snapback]

Well said. The implied sneering and all knowing winks here make me *sigh*.

The one thing I loathe about AMHR is registration. Papers are less than clear - Tiny outlines to draw markings on - no photos required. HUH? And the fact that when you register from AMHA to AMHR - the entire prefix/suffix nonsense. We were told by the office at AMHR to simply add our prefix to a horse we did NOT breed and that it would be okay and "everyone does it". If you did that in the dog show world you would be in major trouble. So it would appear that AMHR condones changing the name of a registered horse to suit yourself - and thus someone else's breeding could be passed off as your own?!? It makes no sense to me... maybe someone can explain it a bit better than the office did...
wacko.gif

Other than that - there are good people and good horses in both registries - and many cross back and forth all the time - so the snobbery is uncalled for and pointless. Show how and where you enjoy it the most - there are good things to be had in both cases.... and try to avoid the fingerpointing and sneering...

Just a thought...
unsure.gif

I'm sorry, but that was a really ignorant thing to say to you. The registry is not what makes the horse! There are loads of gorgeous R only horses.

Your colt is lovely, I definitely think you should show him!!

oops, pardon me - EXCLUSIVELY R horses!!!
smile.gif

My family is a recent convert to showing AMHR. All our minis except three are double registered, as we're in California (Northern), where the perceived value of an AMHA only registered horse is considered to be higher than an AMHR only one. The R shows are growing here in popularity, although attendance is still low - it's at least growing!

We have been surprised at the costs associated with showing AMHA vs AMHR - and as we're still on the learning curve we decided to go R purely for economic reasons. Who knew my kids would like it and prefer it to the A circuit here! We do go to maybe 2 or 3 A shows in the year, but R shows are the preferred in our family now!

We're even going to the R Nationals as aside from the travel costs, the actually show costs for the whole show are less than we spend at a 2 day A show here!

Actually most of mine are registered AMHA, AMHR and PtHA. Have just started showing this year and have tried all three. Love showing Pinto and AMHR the best. We're heading for the AMHR Nationals this year and I was very suprised at how reasonable the show fees are. I suspect AMHR will become increasingly popular and I hope Pinto does to. Pinto has both an A and B division for mini's.....so your boy doesn't have to be "R" only
smile.gif
Sandy

Back