Someone is feeding my horses.......Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamcatcher

Reaction score
Without asking!!!

So a bit of history first: I keep my mini stallion on my cousins property that she rents. At the front of the property is a house that is rented separately. The tenants are moving out and a lady who does rescue is moving in on October 1.

My cousin works nights so I feed in the PM around 6:30-8 depending on my work schedule and she goes out in the early am when she gets off of work and again in the middle of the day to water and clean, give a snack etc.

For some reason the lady that is going to move in has taken it upon herself to randomly go out and feed all of the animals, even after being told not to and a call to the landlord asking her to talk to her.

We had a family BBQ yesterday and my cousin is scheduled for a C Section today, so I will be taking over alll of the chores for a while. We discussed that I would feed last night and I headed over. I noticed when I pulled up that all of the animals were eating. Now I did get there a bit late last night, around 7:45, but that is no reason to feed our animals.

We have an old mare with NO teeth, She can choke on hay easily and needs cubes and senior feed as a supplement, plus she gave my thunder a huge flake. Our animals are well taken care of so I see no reason for any one to think they are starving.

I am really concerned she is doing this. It has been going on for about two weeks and need some advise on how to handle it. We are all for extra help, but as long as we know and show her how to feed properly. It took my cousin three months to trust me to feed her animals on my own, LOL! I am just praying she is not one of those crazy rescue folks. Not that I have anything against rescue, but some can go too far. I like keeping my little man there and enjoy the time I spend with my cousin and she really needs my help out there, but if this continues I will have to move him.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I would not be happy at all, have you or your cousin talked to her face to face? Could you report her for treaspassing? If she isnt listening to peoples warnings not to touch/feed ect the animals might have to get the cops involved. If something happened to the animals by her feeding them the wrong things Im not sure if she could be held liable or not?

My thoughts are that you should be more than concerned. I would be furious. Everyone involved, must confront this woman and insist she stop. Explain that each horse receives different feeds and she will be held responsible, if one becomes ill or dies.

Many years ago, when I boarded my Saddlebreds at LAEC, someone fed a horse which they didn't own, a large amount of watermellon rinds. The horse colicked and eventually died. I don't remember now, just how it was all sorted out or if the owner sued, but the person who fed the horse, was banned from LAEC and had to move her own horse to another boarding facility. I know it was heartbreaking for the lady who owned the horse. He was her only horse and dearly loved.

You need to (firmly) put a stop to this asap.

Lizzie

My thoughts are that you should be more than concerned. I would be furious. Everyone involved, must confront this woman and insist she stop. Explain that each horse receives different feeds and she will be held responsible, if one becomes ill or dies.

Many years ago, when I boarded my Saddlebreds at LAEC, someone fed a horse which they didn't own, a large amount of watermellon rinds. The horse colicked and eventually died. I don't remember now, just how it was all sorted out or if the owner sued, but the person who fed the horse, was banned from LAEC and had to move her own horse to another boarding facility. I know it was heartbreaking for the lady who owned the horse. He was her only horse and dearly loved.

You need to (firmly) put a stop to this asap.

Lizzie
Who the heck feeds horses watermelon rinds really? I remember when i was little the shetland pony I leased, the girls of the barn liked to go out and give him random handfuls of candy without asking anyone. Well they did this so much that one day at a show he got real sick and mildly coliced, forcing me not to be able to show. My trainer was hot and made the responsible girls parents pay for the vet bills and the missed show fees because of what they did

Lock up the feed. A stout padlock can fix a lot of things. No trespassing signs. Make it legal.

If it's not feasable to lock up the food, you MUST talk to her. Lay down the law, don't be nice, don't pull punches. If she goes against what you want explain she will be liable for any vet expenses. Talk to the landlord- maybe see if he can explain if she doesn't quit he'll pull her lease and she will have to leave. (If he'll do that for you)

I would be REALLY mad ! Post a "No Trespassing" sign and if she does it again I would call the police. What else might she do if she is feeding them ? She needs to learn that they are not hers to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you've already gotten good advice.

My only suggestion would be to put up a sign that says all horses are on a strict diet and regime that shouldn't be altered. Please do not feed the horses.

[Or perhaps telling her this in person.]

Thank you everyone for the replies. I have really been trying to be rational and not over react.

My cousin spoke to her via telephone and other than a quick glimpse as she drove by last night I have yet to meet her in person. I plan on spending extra time out there this week and hopefully will catch her in the act.

Im also going to make a sign and put it on the feed ( we do not really have a place to lock it up) and a no tresspassing sign. I know, to her, she has good intentions but I worry about one of them getting sick.

Help is always appreciated but not is it is unsolicited in this sort of way.

Andrea

Thank you all for the replies. My irrational side wanted to wring her neck, but I think I might get farther wih her by using kindess and being up front with her. Im going to leave a note with my phone number tonight and hopefully she will call and make arraingments to meet in person.

Andrea

I might sound like a real *itch but can you borrow a digital game camera, the motion sensor kind. If you know of any hunters you can ask, I would put it up for a week or so, just to get some footage of her, then you are able to approach her, the landlord and or the police with that if she continues to feed them without permission.

Regarding watermelon rinds - my horse loves mellons/pumpkins, etc - when he was really sick - watermelon was the only thing he would eat!

Definitely have some face to face - and if you can't agree - then I would have legal action (law enforcement - whatever) as she is causing harm to your horse that can choke - not to mention promoting potential obesity

I would tak to her nicely and tell her your horse have major health issues and that ONLY a designated person can feed them.If she doesn't get it I would get the authorities involved.I had an employee who would feed my Mini yearlings extra()they looked like very pregnant mares)Her reply THEY ARE GROWING and need the feed.I called her 1 of the 20 minute wonders.They know everything about Minis in 20 minutes.Not knowing her mentality-it is tough to say.some won't listen to anyone else.Just be careful and very observant about your horses' health since she is around.My former employee didn't listen to my 20 years of Mini experience and it was not a happy ending for her own Mini when she boarded it elsewhere after I fired her for not following my feeding directions.Please keep us posted about the results.Try kindness first.If that doesn't work get tough.

Lol My horses love watermelon rinds! I feed them small amounts all summer.

I would talk to her directly, and post signs, that way if you have to take legal action you have signs posted. I would also document the times she was contacted about this issue date & time.

Game trail cams are reasonable and you can catch the time & date the person is feeding them, as well as who it is.

Our horses eat watermelon rinds too.... It's their champagne...

Im currently dealing with a similar situation. Only luckily its with my paint stallion who because of an injury got sick and lost weight. However its hard when people dont listen.

Im not sure what to do next with the people who Im having issues with. Ive tried talking to them. But because theres more to my situation than just them feeding the horse behind my back its a much harder situation because involving the authorities or other isnt really an option. The people doing it are my good friends friends mother and the mothers boyfriend. I did get a good laugh because she tried to get mad at me because my stallion bit her. (She was apparently poking a sore spot and he tried letting her know by moving away from her and pinning his ears at her and swishing his tail and moving away but when she poked him harder in his injured hip he finally had had enough and bit her.)

I think you need to talk with her, I realize your concern but sounds like she is trying to be helpful and just doesn't understand your horses special needs. I would have a hard time feeeding my horses and leaving ones in sight and hearing unfed.....would feel like a louse leaving them to watch the others eat! Anyone she could end up to be a real asset, someone keeping an eye on your horses when you are not there and perhaps taking care of them when you are away...cultivate, explain kindly, this could turn out to be a good thing and a new friend!!

I can't stand when this happens. You have already waited two weeks and that is two weeks too long. Your horses could be foundering or colicing right this minute so I can't for the life of me understand why you have not acted on this by now. I'm for world peace but I'm also not for paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for veternary care to get my horse out of pain because someone has interferred with my horse's food regimine. I would have to play hard ball. There would be no more waiting around" to see" if this were my situation. I'd go face to face and have a nice introduction and be a friendly decent person, but also be very firm how you will not stand for someone doing this and the vet bills that can follow. Once they know how this can hit them in the pocketbook if you find your horse sick, watch how fast they will back off. I really hate the way you have been put in this situation. Best wishes for a good outcome.

LOL the next time she got to my feed bin she would find a note as such...

Dear New Neighbor,

I appreciate you trying to be helpful and caring enough to feed my horses. I am just a little worried as you do not know which horses get which feed and if you work for a rescue then I imagine that you understand how bad this can be for horses. So here is my feed instructions so that the horses will continue to be heallthy and not have to run to the vets for an episode of colic, choke, or founder.

The old Quarter Horse gets 5 Yellow scoops of Purina Senior and 6 alfalfa cubes, the entire meal must be soaked for at least 10 minutes in hot water because she is 33 years old, has no teeth and will choke on dry food.

The mini stallions each get 4 blue scoops of mini feed, and dont forget to double chain their gates as I'm sure you would feel really guilty if they got loose and killed by one of the big horses.

The Buckskin mare gets 2 blue scoops of triple crown lite because she is insulin resistant and will founder on any of the other feeds. Oh yeah and her hay needs to be soaked for at least and hour to lower the sugar and starch levels.

The black tennessee walker has DSLD. Her pre-made medicine balls are in the little refrigerator. Just grab one and make her eat it at least 20 minutes before her meal. After the 20 minutes she gets 4 blue scoops of TC Lite with a cup of water on top because she also chokes sometimes.

The rest of the minis each get 3 blue scoops of the mini feed.

Each horse must eat in a separate stall dont worry they each know where they belong. 2 hours later please let them back out and give them their hay.

Oh and usually during that 2 hour wait time I go ahead and walk the dogs, their leashes are hanging next to the horses halters

I really do appreciate your help,Thank You!

Oh one more thing... Please leave me a note when you do feed them so that I know not to feed them a second time and cause them to colic.

default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Somehow I dont think she would be back to feed my horses... Or if she did then yep shes a keeper!!

Thank you all for the replies. My irrational side wanted to wring her neck, but I think I might get farther wih her by using kindess and being up front with her. Im going to leave a note with my phone number tonight and hopefully she will call and make arraingments to meet in person.

Andrea
haha so know how you feel, I have a neighbour who is the same. We've told him we don't want him feeding the horses and so far he's behaved, begrudgingly tho. Hope it all works out for you.... grrr doesn't it make you mad tho!!

Something I would never tolerate.. Know of two situations... one where they threw grass clippings to the horses and killed them all and the other more recently where they put some poisonous trimmings over a fence for a friends goats and killed them all. Endless reasons to nip this in the bud. good luck. I pitched a fit on someone I know that grabbed a big handful of green not quite cured alfalfa waiting to be baled and heaved it over the fence to my minis. Luckily I looked out the window and saw my guys munching and went out to investigate. My guys are dry lotted for a reason. I can't stand people doing things like that without asking first.

Latest posts

Back