Someone called animal control on me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
I spent Friday doing extra cleaning in the barn....removed all shaving, replaced all, organized tack and feed room, raked 2 large pastures, bleaching H20 buckets and just generally having a great awesome day out in the barn listening to some old Joan Baez and Carpenters music. The horses were loose in the yard enjoying the good grass....they were not clean....just muddy from the last nights rain but I planned on bringing them in later in the day to get them cleaned up. I heard my dogs really barking and carrying on down at my gate and walked down to see what the ruckus was all about. There was a Collier County Sheriff car and an animal control truck...um....They asked if the dogs belonged to me....well yeah, they were on my side of the fence and I was calling them by name to try to hush them up. I still had not opened the gate ... the sheriff had already taken out his gun ( didnt point it and it may have only been a bb type thing ) Im assuming it was for the dogs, 4 big loud German Shepherds.I asked if there was something I could help them with and the control officer said she has had reports of some very underweight and unhealthy conditions of horses and dogs on this property. Excuse me?? Well you can see my dogs and do you honestly think they look unhealthy or underweight?? Now Im shaking, fuming and a complete raving lunatic. No you are not setting foot on this property..do you have a warrant ( I have no idea if they even needed a warrant...I was just peeved off ) Who called you, What did they say exactly, One of my horses IS a Rescue,I do not mistreat any of my animals...by now Im in tears. My neighbors,all 2 of them are awesome and my road is a private road so unless you are coming to my house or the 2 neighbors no one would even come down it to see my animals...uncontrolable tears and getting my dogs even more upset. Thank heavens my husband drove up just when I was starting to loose it. Hes really calm and cool and just said let them come in...no big deal...what do you care...we have nothing to hide. Well to me it was the priciple....some idiot reporting ME. Any way after hubby got me calmed down I let them in but I made them walk to the barn....I didnt want them driving over my wild dogs... who have now decided hey they must be friends ...we will not eat them...yet. When we got close enough to the barn my husband whispered " the barn looks awesome have you been cleaning all day?" Well I must admit the barn did look nice and tidy. The only thing I would say looked bad is that I had not emptied the 4x4 and it was filled w/poop and had more flys than I would have liked covering it. Fly masks for all horses were hung on hooks,fly sheets for all draped over the fence ( I dont let them wear the sheets when they are loose as there are too many trees to catch on ..IMO its dangerouse w/velcrow straps ),soaking beet pulp along with enough coat shampoos,conditioners ointments and the like to fill a huge shelf at Tractor supply...all for the mistreated horses I assume!! They were both pretty quiet and didnt say much good or bad....I guess I would have liked them to at least say "Your little barn certainlly looks nice"....all they said was We need to see your horses. I called to them as I had no idea where they were I just figured they were on the other side of the house eatting....sometimes they come right away and sometimes I need to bang the food dish...this time no food dish was necessary...I was so proud...they all came trotting from across the yard like perfect little horses. I think the officers were a bit surprised...no skinny horses here....muddy yes but not skinny and not mistreated. Finally the animal control officer said....I love it when its a false alarm..your horses look great and looking around have one of the nicest little barns I have seen in a long time...usually we go on these mini horse calls and the horses are just thown out in the yard because kids have lost interest... they should all come live with you!! Now Im happy again but it did ruin my nice day I was having. I did tell the sheriff if he ever wanted to bring his kids by for a carriage/cart ride to give me a call...I hope he does because they were both very nice in the end. They were just doing their job.

Still have no idea who called but I did have a visitor a couple weeks ago that came by ( right thru the closed gate ) about 8 pm and just starting to get dark wanting to know if I had any horses for sale. I told him no but he wanted to just look any way...told him no it was too late and horses were in for the night. My husband was not home and this guy was sort of creepy anyway. He came back w/kids a couple of days later...right thru the same gate that says no tresspassing and asked if I had any for sale...once again NO and then asked if the kids could just pet the horses. This may sound mean but my dogs are not used to small children so unless my husband is here keeping an eye on them w/me I dont feel comfortable letting children run around with my dogs loose...especially people I dont know!! Once again I told him no. I have to believe this was the person who called. I do have a sign hubby had made for me last yr. that just has my farm name on it and the house #...it does say miniature horses but doesnt mention sales/breeding or any thing like that...from the road, thats private, that is the only indication that there are horses here. On the other side of the property is a golf course and we did have a slight problem w/people feeding the horses but signs have stopped that and I dont think any of the golfers would have called. I have met most of the people that do walk over to see the horses on occasion and they all are very nice.

Anyway sorry about the long post and thanks for letting me vent. Heck...Im just an old red neck living a quite life w/my animals...never even a speeding ticket in my life and never been arrested for anything and to have 2 police vehicles parked at my gate....what a way to ruin a nice Friday!! Heidi

I know it bothered you, but just forget it
default_biggrin.png
People can be stoooopid and the officers saw that the complaint was out of ignorance or meanness. Just let it slide, dont let it get under your skin. A few years back I had the same thing happen, but mine was because I had horses blindfolded out in the pasture. They had fly masks on.
default_wacko.png

Would have upset me too, but the upside of it is that now they know where you are and know that you are credible, in case you ever need their help! You might have made some new friends - never hurts to have law enforcement on your side.
default_smile.png

I had horses blindfolded out in the pasture. They had fly masks on
LOL, that's pretty funny. I've had people ask about fly masks and neck wraps......."what's wrong with that one that his neck is bandaged.."

Jan

I'm sorry you had such an upsetting afternoon, but I've got to admit I'm glad your hubby came home and invited them in! Raving and asking if they have a warrant, etc., just makes you sound like the kind of redneck crazy who's probably hiding something. The officers were only doing their jobs and the faster you show them all is well, the more sheepish they're going to feel.
default_wink.png

It's too bad someone felt the need to be cruel this way when so many real abuse cases go unreported, but at least you know Animal Control is doing their job in your area.

Leia

I know its upsetting, and it would *&ss me off too...but I think its great...they got a report , they took it seriously, all the way up to the end when they figured out it was a mistake. Maybe it ruiend your day ...but I bet it made the officers day.
default_rolleyes.gif
I glad you cleaned..I have neighbors that dont like my horses , and I wonder when this will happen to me ...my horses are totally pampared.

I know its upsetting, and it would *&ss me off too...but I think its great...they got a report , they took it seriously, all the way up to the end when they figured out it was a mistake. Maybe it ruiend your day ...but I bet it made the officers day.
default_rolleyes.gif
I glad you cleaned..I have neighbors that dont like my horses , and I wonder when this will happen to me ...my horses are totally pampared.

I agree, I'm so happy that they followed up on the report! They were doing their jobs which we all know so many times when an animal IS in dire need that law enforcement doesn't step in until far too late. It would really bother me to be reported as well but I'd probably laugh and be mad all at the same time! "Come on in, I have nothing to hide"!

Do try to put yourself in their shoes. It's the idiot that reported you that deserves the anger.

I can sure understand why it would be upsetting. Some idiot was just out to make trouble.

I agree with everyone who said that "thank god they responded"......... So many areas either do not have animal control or if they do, the animal control people are worthless!

Now they know who you are.........Get to know them. Be their friend. That's what we've done (totally by accident). But some day you may need to make a report on someone ELSE and they will take you seriously.

A bunch of people already expressed my first impression and that was that it was good that they paid a visit to a farm where abuse was reported. I'm sure you were unhappy about it but just look at it this way.....all your hard work in the barn was noticed.
default_wink.png

Just exactly how you don't want to start your day.
default_no.gif
I don't blame you for not wanting people at your farm when your husband is away. I think it's a safety issue myself. I really prefer people to call and make an appointment so that my husband can be home.
default_yes.gif
Anyways, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the idiot who falsely turned you in. Have you ever thought about putting a "Private" sign underneath your main farm sign?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is my understanding that at some point you can subpeona the records and see who complained. I would agree it was not a neighbor, but someone who was angry and figured 'I'll show HER!!", however, it is a waste of time for the sheriff and the control officer, who have other better things to do.

We had the very same thing happen back in about 1973- someone was angry and complained. We had big horses then and same thing.... they saw it was a false alarm, but it is still REALLY annoying that it even happens.

I would be curious now to see if that wierd guy comes back again!?

Some folks are just creeps and are not happy unless they can cause drama or just be vindictive. So sorry it ruined your day!

Well someone was looking out for you and got you out there cleaning that barn all spiffy, he knew you were going to have important visitors. So glad all worked out and you made some great new friends.

I know how you feel, had the same thing happen to me in February, some dummy complained to the SPCA and they sent someone to investigate. I took him on a tour to show him my horses, inside the barn, showed him the grain and hay I was feeding and the vet bills for my sick mare who was the only one who was thin. I also gave him my vets number and he phoned him and my vet told him if the horse sneazes I have him come. LOL He complimented me on the condition of my horses and said he wished all calls were false alarms like this one. He had his son with him who was 13-14 and told him that this is how the horses should be taken care off and they stayed for a bit and patted my fillies and mares. My husband and I figure it was one of the city people who have cottages down here who complained as they stopped before and told my father in law my arabian was lonely as I only had one here at the time and that she should be with the minis and it was cruel to keep her by herself. I had already purchased another arabian who arrived a week or so after so we just ignored this city person. Now my arabians are at another farm and I just have the minis here.

It amazes me sometimes how difficult it is to get someone to go out and look at a bad case but they show up for the "good ones". We had someone turn us in for animal abuse because a few of our broodmares had burrs in their tails and manes (we had a new place and did not know the extent we had those wonderful plants). We tried to keep them clean but sometimes it was a week before the next cleaning. These mares had tons of grass and a fresh water pond = all were actually a little too fat.

But then this year the neighbor down the road has 2 big horses that are all skin and bones and I have been calling everywhere (local police, sheriffs, animal control, humane society). Nothing has been done !!! I am still trying and it just about kills me when we drive by but I cant feed them - I was already told that by the law.

Who Knows ????

River

Ah thats so frustrateing. We had our farm called on 3 times! By the same people. My family has been living on the same property for over 250 years. We used to own most of the land that these people live and drive on. They've only been living in our town for 6 years. lol

First time they didn't like my house. Second time they wanted it at least 100ft away from the road. The last time they didn't like driving by and wanted to know why I am useing that fence. It was yellow/black stand electric. Finally they were told if they don't like it drive the other way. lol We haven't heard from them again. But we made sure to hit their large garbabe can and let it fly all over their yard, and everytime they would drive by I would wave at them. lol High neighbor! Basically just letting them know, that yes I know it was you, and yes I'm not afraid of confrontation so be careful.
default_saludando.gif

Just wanted to let you know that I am happy that the authorities take complaints seriously around here.....We Do Need To Speak For Those Who Cant.

And I did overreact and acted like a crazy person when I was 1st confronted and I did direct my anger at them....I was a filthy dirty, braless, horse poop smelling, hot tired, horse and dog loving fool!! Someone(s) who doesnt even know me made a complaint and I did get my panties in an uproar.

Before they left we had a great conversation and they were very nice...I did apologize for my less than steller behavior and I think they understood. My husband ( God bless his soul ) even told her that we would take any smaller horses or ponies if they needed a place to put them...this is the man who decided to have my farm name

Know More Miniature Horse Farm and had a beautiful sign made.

Anyway, friendships were made and I do understand they were only doing their job.

We will be adding Visitors By Appointment Only.... to our sign ( no telephone # ) in hopes that it will deter people from stopping by. Heidi

I had the same happen to me. Except I think it is my next door neighbor. Animal control came out and said that they were told that there were thin horses with no shelter and one was sevearly injured. I just took them out and showed them my horses had shelter and that they were not thin (rather fat). I asked the officer to show me which horse was injured let alone severly (with blood by the report) injured. Now we do back up to another road so a lot of people see the horses but a few days later my 2 1/2lb yorkie was taken from my yard and the next day givin to animal control. Then about a month ago the same sweet person yelled at my nephew for playing with my dog (not the yorkie) in my yard. The next day my dog was poisoned. Why can't people just stay on there own side of the fence?

Katien I am sorry they poisoned your dog
default_sad.png
The world is full of idiots. If the tables were turned, they would want you to deal with their critters. All too often people are of the mind 'do as I say, not as I do'. We have a neighbor who lets their 4 dogs roam and bark 24/7. Yet they complain when we ride our 4-wheelers, during the day. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back