somebody please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
the heat index was 112 yesterday at 4:30 p.m. when i got home from work. the poor horses were dripping sweat. it was too hot to drag the hose around so i just dipped buckets of water out of the stock tank and poured them over each horse to wet them down completely. little red isn't terribly fond of being hosed off so i had to kind of chase him down. after i poured the first bucket down his chest, i think he thought "wow, this feels GOOD!" he followed me back to the stock tank and stood absolutely still while i poured bucket after bucket of water over his back. God love 'em, they are all such good boys and i wish i could bring them inside where it's cool!

we're supposed to have another brutal day here today and then a bit of a cool down into the 80's over the next few days. i am SO ready for winter!!! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say I'm ready for winter, but it was 90 at 9 a.m. yesterday with 50% humidity. Definitely been a hot few days in the midwest. My little ones seem to be handling it ok, but my big guy has been wet the past 2 days. He really enjoyed his shower last evening. I think everybody's ready for a cool down!

Yeah ladies, it is hot!!

Suman my biggee is sweating constantly, and I have been hosing him down.

Giddy my mini has his sweats too and I clipped him cause he hadnt shed out all the way under his belly especially.. I spray him down too...

Here is to the rain thats coming that is gonna cool it off!! The 80's sound sooooooooo nice!!

Missy

Miserable heat up here in northern Wisconsin too. Yeasterday the temp was 87 but the humidity level was 65. The air-conditioner is running overtime
default_wub.png
The minis all seem to be handling it OK, but spent alot of time in the shelter. Its my old arabian who is 35 yrs old that is having a very tough time..hes been stalled in this heat, and I do spray him down good to cool him off, but it sure is taking a toll on him this year. Our barn stays cool, and I have a fan running in his stall, but it dont seem to be helping him at all. He is totally blind so I have to be extra careful with him. I amjust so afraid this is going to be our last summer together. I have had him since he has been 3 years old.

Charlene, have you ever read the book..90 minutes in Heaven? I just got it ..really good.

Stay cool everyone, Corinne

Charlene, had to laugh when I read your post as my 2 boys are the same as your Red. They do not like to get hosed down but the last few days they are almost Thanking Me !! It hasnt been that hot here in S.Florida but its still pretty darn hot. I look forward to the afternoon showers.

corinne, i know what you mean. it seems that the extremes in weather are so much harder on the aged horses. the year i had my qh mare sent over the rainbow bridge, she was 37. i talked to my vet about it and although she was still able to get around pretty well, i decided that another winter would have been torture for her. still miss that ole gal!

i have not read that book but have seen a few interviews with the author. looks fascinating, i'll have to see if i can find it! marty sent me a copy of "hello from heaven" and it's been wonderful reading!

ribbie, i'm pretty sure the boys will be all lined up at the stock tank when i get home this afternoon.
default_wink.png

I'm so looking forward to winter!!

This heat is taking a toll on me and I won't go out in it any longer than I absolutely have to. So that means no mowing or weed whacking or weed pulling. So when it does cool off I'll have a whole lot of catch up to do.
default_wacko.png

94* the last couple of days,, is not supposed to get this hot here. blech....
default_wacko.png
Have gotten used to the NW even temps,, I start melting at 75*.

We were watching the news at 11:00 last night. The weather guy said the current temperature was 83, with a heat index of 90 degrees. A heat index at 11 o'clock at night!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Charlene, I am so sorryto hear about your QH. I know I have to do something with myold Nazarian before winter sets in..its just so hard to make THAT call to my vet. I amsure he would not make it well thru another winter and we do want to bury him here on our farm, right along side his pasture pal of 32 years.

I did get the book "Hello from Heaven" after you mentioned it to me. I have read bit and pieces in that one. The book I just got is "90 Minutes in Heaven" and is a true story, excellent reading. I bought both off of ebay, new, and very reasonable. They had quit a few of the 90 minutes on the auction.

Temps seem to be a little ...make that TINY bit cooler, but the humidity has dropped , so that is helping alot. Corinne

default_no.gif
Heat was 104 with index of 107 yesterday
default_wacko.png
and woke up this morning to a beautiful 70
default_wub.png
and the cool front is moving thru and it is still low 80's so you guys should be seeing some relief shortly...alll the minis were running and kicking up their heels this morning they were soooo happy!

I'm not a heat person either. It's been really hot/humid here as well. We lost our AC almost two weeks ago. We have had trouble with it. My husband got it fixed it and we got a thunderstorm the next day. A bolt of lightening hit. The power went out and the AC didn't come back on. The insurance company says we can claim it, but they are saying that it can be fixed. It's a 9 year old system. My husband(GOD love him) has been fixing it for the year and it was working great, but not sure how much longer it has. We got quotes starting at $4500 to replace it all the way to $10,000.

Our house is on a hill with NO trees near the house for shade. We had to go out and buy a window unit. Can't imagine what that's going to do to the electric bill, but we can't be in the house when it gets really hot. It was close to 100 degrees quite a few days inside without it. We are able to shut it off at night as it's not too bad then. The window unit is working as best it can so I feel fortunate that we at least have that.

I hear it's supposed to cool off this weekend.

Kim

Sorry guys .... I will take your heat if you would take some of our rain!!!

I can't get it off the field it is rotting before we even have a chance to cut it!

and our weather is way below normal... if I didnt know better I would say it

was May/June not August!

There really is no satisfying temperature for us OR our horses, now is there? Sure, you say winter now, but just you wait!
default_wink.png

Woke up this morning to a TERRIBLE 61 degrees, mud, and rain. Really felt like summer was over, and boy were those wet horses maaaaad!

Yes, would someone turn down the heat?
default_wacko.png
I find myself staying indoors with the central air conditioning because this old girl can't take the heat plus hot flashes.
default_new_shocked.gif

corinne, i know it's the worst decision to have to make and i gave it months of thought before i decided it was time. chips is buried in the alfalfa field next to the dry lot. it's where she loved to graze. i used to turn her out every day for 30 minutes while i did evening chores. never even put a halter on her, just opened the gate.
default_smile.png

i've seen the author of "90 minutes in heaven" interviewed a couple of times. i will have to look for that book.

we have had so much rain here, even my dry lot that's 100% sand is soggy. the horses had dug a trench around the round bale feeder and were standing in muck constantly. i finally had gary's brother come up yesterday afternoon with his tractor/blade. we moved the feeder to higher ground and he dragged the blade across the old spot several times to smooth it out. after a day or two of sun, it will be SO much better out there. i swear, it was beginning to absolutely STINK because it was wet all the time.

i begin to melt when the temps get above 55.
default_new_shocked.gif

MM, get to walmart and get thee some generic "remifemin" for those hot flashes!!! it's an herbal supplement that will very quickly relieve your symptoms. if i had not found it when i was "changing" ;) i'm afraid i would have gone postal sooner or later!

Thanks Charlene! I'm going to Wal-Mart today and buy remifemin. If this works for me, I owe you a million bucks and then some.
default_smile.png

Thanks Charlene! I'm going to Wal-Mart today and buy remifemin. If this works for me, I owe you a million bucks and then some.
default_smile.png
you can get the "equate" brand for half the price and it works just as well. i took myself off of hormone replacement cold turkey and started the herbal stuff shortly after. it only took it a few days to kick in. if you aren't taking anything right now, it may take up to a couple of weeks before you notice a definite improvement so give it time!

no need to send me a million bucks. your relief from symptoms will be payment enough!
default_aktion033.gif

We're breaking records here in central Texas. We've had over 40 days of 100+ degree heat this summer with little to no rain in some areas. The next 7 days calls for 99 - 101 with no relief in sight. I go out each day and cool my boys off. They love it when I bring out a big glass of ice water. They've decided ice is the best treat in this heat. We have plenty of trees and they pretty much stay in the shade during the heat of the day. Of course this is Texas, so heat is what we expect.

Latest posts

Back