Some questions about senior horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 21 year old mare. This is my first older horse and I have some questions about what is normal.

Under her tail, the skin seems very thin. Sometimes under the tail and on the skin there is what looks like a rug burn; neosporin or other ointments help. Is it normal for skin to be thin there? Or does she have something else going on?

I worry about the crupper being too abrasive if the skin is thin. I haven't driven her in a month or so, but the raw places show up.

Changes in coat with aging? It seems more dense than last year.

What other things might I observe as she ages?

Their skin and coat definitely change (think about humans and dogs!)

Desitin is great under the tail, and consider getting a crupper cover that is kind of fluffy to prevent sores.

Cushings can cause coat changes and I think gets common in older horses?

Think "human"....like Disneyhorse said. Their skin can change, their metabolism, and their teeth.

We swear by a Senior feed...it's pelleted. It's softer to chew and has the "stuff" that seniors (and juniors, for that matter) need.

Pay attention to your hay. We look for a soft, fluffy grass hay for chewing satisfaction.

I will look into the crupper cover for sure. I'll try the Desitin.

I have her teeth done yearly and so far they are fine. A little plaque buildup, but I "brush" them every day with a cloth and that is helping.

Thank you.

Back