Some Questions about Driving!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is driving a full-sized horse different than driving a mini? I don't have minis but I do have an arabian. I am wanting to learn to drive. And I was wondering, if they would be different. It just a random question that came to mind lol.

It is basicaly the same, and definatly go with a breeching on your harness. You will most likely not be allowed to use a check, (if showing) but if you are, it would only be a side-check, which is best IMO anyways. I will not use an over-check.

If your horse is not already trained, and you've not trained a driving horse before...I suggest you send yours to a trainer.

It is a RUSH!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Big horse carriage driving is definitely different from miniature breed show driving, but carriage driving a mini (that is, using ADS-style training like the big horses do) is virtually identical in principle. There are certain differences like the fact it is absolutely, completely, totally unsafe to EVER ground-drive a big horse with a cart attached and the lines are much longer and heavier, but otherwise skills learned with one will serve you well with the other.

The big guys have a LOT more power!
default_biggrin.png
On the other hand minis make much faster turns on a much lighter rein signal. Minis are more forgiving of mistakes or a green handler, big horses really need to be trained and brought along by someone experienced.

Both are fun.
default_thumbup.gif

Leia

Well, if I do ever get around to it, I do plan to send him to a trainer.

Also, what is the differences in carts/carriages??

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back