Some photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugggg…. I’m gonna be like 3 ft by the time I reach 100!! 🤣🤣

Thats 36 inches on the mini horse chart! 🤣🤣🤣
but don’t let @Edelweiss do the measuring, I might end up shorter! 🤣🤣
Yes Kelly! You would probably end up shorter!

@Marsha Cassada I don't think horses get shorter so one of those heights is wrong! Lol Hard to tell with no scale but they look to be pretty close in height. There is a huge difference between my 32.5 and 34" geldings.

@Kelly if you want taller horses, just start doing CDEs. They measure at the withers. :)

Kind of funny too with all the precise measuring you can have a different unverified measurement recorded on your registration papers. My friend says she has seen people throwing a fit at a show when their horse has been measured and then it gets measured 3 times. If it's still going to fall in VSE not sure it's worth getting upset over.

And then there are the pony hunters. I've seen some huge "ponies" go around in those divisions. Like 15 hand "ponies". I had pony that fell into the "large" category by about 1.75 inches and the trainer I had at the time swore up and down she could get her to measure 13.2 so she could show in the medium pony division. I didn't ask how (and I probably don't want to know how) as I think that's pretty shady.

@Kelly if you want taller horses, just start doing CDEs. They measure at the withers. :)

Kind of funny too with all the precise measuring you can have a different unverified measurement recorded on your registration papers. My friend says she has seen people throwing a fit at a show when their horse has been measured and then it gets measured 3 times. If it's still going to fall in VSE not sure it's worth getting upset over.
I can't imagine getting upset over VSE's where there are not often any other height breakdowns.
I am not picky about where my horses measure as I believe they need to be good enough to win regardless of the fact that some horses in there might be too tall.

And then there are the pony hunters. I've seen some huge "ponies" go around in those divisions. Like 15 hand "ponies". I had pony that fell into the "large" category by about 1.75 inches and the trainer I had at the time swore up and down she could get her to measure 13.2 so she could show in the medium pony division. I didn't ask how (and I probably don't want to know how) as I think that's pretty shady.
That is where it came from! Quite a few miniature trainers started with ponies and in those breeds, especially the Welsh, they often attempt to physically alter the horse, usually has to do with hoof trimming. It's not pretty. I have a few friends who used to be involved in that world.

I can't imagine getting upset over VSE's where there are not often any other height breakdowns.
I am not picky about where my horses measure as I believe they need to be good enough to win regardless of the fact that some horses in there might be too tall.

That is where it came from! Quite a few miniature trainers started with ponies and in those breeds, especially the Welsh, they often attempt to physically alter the horse, usually has to do with hoof trimming. It's not pretty. I have a few friends who used to be involved in that world.
Did you have welsh ponies? I just watched the Royal Welsh Horse and Pony show and those small welsh are beyond gorgeous. Just lovely little things. I have a welsh pony and would love another, but too much $$$ as they all are made into pony hunters!

Did you have welsh ponies? I just watched the Royal Welsh Horse and Pony show and those small welsh are beyond gorgeous. Just lovely little things. I have a welsh pony and would love another, but too much $$$ as they all are made into pony hunters!
No, I wish! They are beautiful! I have a friend who used to groom for a big Welsh hunter pony barn and that is where they were bad about heights. I have another friend who used to breed and train Welsh for carriage shows. They were so pretty!!

the trainer I had at the time swore up and down she could get her to measure 13.2 so she could show in the medium pony division.

Aside from hoof alterations, I have heard that people will tie very heavy things to the horse and leave it for a long time, remove right before the measurement. Since the front of the horse's body is only connected to the front legs by soft tissue, it can sink down pretty far... Can't imagine this results in a particularly sound or comfortable horse for the show but I doubt this is anywhere in this sort of person's list of priorities.

Billy is definitely taller than dapper dan; no mistake on the papers. He seems to have a very nice personality. He has a couple of quirks. I’lldiscuss those sometime. Waiting till after dental on friday to do a bit. And his feet are very neglected. He also has shed more parasites since ivermectin on Saturday than any horse I've brought home. Careful to keep it all picked up. Technically he is not a rescue but it sort of seems that way. But he and dapper dan are shaking down together fine and that's the main thing.

Good dental visit today. Vet said he had a good mouth though sadly neglected. Giant hooks on the front and lots of sharp points. He could not grind the hooks all the way down totally today as there was blood flow, like a dog's toenails that get too long. Next year he can do more. Billy weighs 262. He is 34" tall. Vet wants him to weigh 215. I thi k when i can begin to exercise him he will be better. I need to take more pictures.

Billy weighs 262. He is 34" tall. Vet wants him to weigh 215. I thi k when i can begin to exercise him he will be better. I need to take more pictures.
How does your vet weigh the minis? Does he use a scale or weigh tape?
My newest thing is finding out how accurate weigh tapes are lol.

How does your vet weigh the minis? Does he use a scale or weigh tape?
My newest thing is finding out how accurate weigh tapes are lol.
A scale. He has a formula for how much hay a horse can have for his ideal weight. He is a wonderful vet but seems to have an obsession with skinny minis.

Attachments

• dd and billy2.jpg
    dd and billy2.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 0
A scale. He has a formula for how much hay a horse can have for his ideal weight. He is a wonderful vet but seems to have an obsession with skinny minis.
Can't get much more accurate than that! I wish I knew of one. The weigh tape says my 34" gelding is 370lbs and my 32" is 245. Both are not fat but I don't know how accurate that weigh tape is!
I don't think Billy is fat at all! I think he looks just right in that picture. He is pretty cute too!

I have seen a horse who did something similar with his tongue. It was a Thoroughbred stallion at Claiborne. After he drank he would make sucking noises with his tongue. It was just a quirk of his.

Looks like his name is sticking. Billy is just adorable! 💕💕💕 He looks a lot bigger than DD. Wish I could pull up the video but my iPad doesn’t want to cooperate 😝

Dang yall have some fat…. I mean “thick” horses 🤣🤣 LOL JK! I think I too am obsessed with skinny minis. I’d rather have mine minis on the thinner side unless they are in their senior years then I will fatten them right up 😍

Shadow 35.5” (my measurements) weighed 250 on the scale and I thought he was a little chunky LOL but every horse is different and has a different frame.

Wonder what his formula is?? Did he share that with you?

Looks like his name is sticking. Billy is just adorable! 💕💕💕 He looks a lot bigger than DD. Wish I could pull up the video but my iPad doesn’t want to cooperate 😝

Dang yall have some fat…. I mean “thick” horses 🤣🤣 LOL JK! I think I too am obsessed with skinny minis. I’d rather have mine minis on the thinner side unless they are in their senior years then I will fatten them right up 😍

Shadow 35.5” (my measurements) weighed 250 on the scale and I thought he was a little chunky LOL but every horse is different and has a different frame.

Wonder what his formula is?? Did he share that with you?
He's might approve your 35" guy at 250. I did not pay any attention to the formula since I knew I wasn't going to do it. I think Billy is supposed to have around 3# of hay a day, in 3 separate feedings. A measured supplement and that's it.
If you are interested, I will call this week and ask for the formula. I think this is a weight loss hay amount and maybe not maintenance. Your horses are certainly svelte; you do a great job managing them.

No, I wouldn't say Billy is sticking. I just don't have an intuitive feeling about any other name so far.

I guess 3 pounds would be 1% of 300lbs but I think that is really the very rock bottom of what would even be safe to feed. And might be downright UNsafe especially if the horse is very fat and especially for a mini because they can have a serious complication of rapid weight loss, hypertriglyceridemia, that can be fatal. You really have to be careful not to cut their feed back so far that this happens and in my non-veterinary opinion, 1% of the goal weight is too aggressive and I would not do it either! 1% of current weight, maybe, but that's still pretty aggressive - depending on the quality of the hay it may be hard for them to even get sufficient nutrients, calories aside, out of that little. I'm sure your vet knows all this, but, eek. Did he maybe mean 3# in addition to your pasture?

Just for reference, Rowan (~37") is probably ideally about 275# in fighting trim and right now is probably right around 300, losing still but slowly, and he eats (metered by himself, out of 3/4" hole nets) about 5lbs of hay a day in summer and maybe 6-7 in cold weather. So, 1.5-2% depending on how cold it is, of good quality first-cut grass hay, supplements that amount to less than a half cup a day total most of which is timothy pellets, and he normalized his own weight and lost all his fat pads on that once the fresh grass was out of the picture. If he was in regular work it would be just about perfect.

For me, I worry less about the actual weight and more about whether I'm seeing any abnormal fat pads (crest, fat pads on the butt, saddlebags). If you have an even layer all around then that is much less of a concern than these abnormal deposits, which indicate metabolic issues. Obviously it's better still if they are not overweight at all but I'm not going to panic about it if it's "insulation" type fat.

every horse is different and has a different frame.
Yes!! This is so true! According to the weigh tape, my 34" gelding is 370lbs, and he is certainly not fat, but he does have a foundation style frame. My 2yr old 36" halter gelding is 350lbs and looks ok, could stand to put on a bit more weight to be in full show condition, if I were taking him to Nationals for example.

Latest posts

Back