Some photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washitas Dapper Dan has a new pasture mate. Rocking M RCS Billy the Kid. He needs some TLC, but he and Dapper Dan were fine with each other right away. He is 17, and Dapper Dan is 26, so they are getting pretty mellow in middle age.
For some reason, he just doesn't seem like a "Billy" to me. Not sure he knows his name; I don't like to change animals' names, but I might call him something else. Any ideas?
I gave him a bath this morning; his first in several years I think. Then he could hardly wait to roll, so there is no "after" photo of the bath! He did very well being bathed though. Tidying with clippers can wait for another day.
He won ribbons as a weanling and has been trained to drive in the past. We'll see how that goes. I was assured by former owners that he had no metabolic issues.
btw, Princess Midnight is doing wonderfully in her new home.

Attachments

• bill july.jpg
    bill july.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 0
  • dd and billy.jpg
    dd and billy.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 0
Congratulations!! Glad he and DD had a smooth transition. I agree, he doesn’t strike me as Billy….maybe Simon? Simeon? I’ll keep brainstorming for names!

Gorgeous! And congrats! DD must be so excited to have a new friend! Can’t wait to see how he drives for you.

Simon is cute and now all I can think of are names that start with S 🤣
Dapper Dan & Stan?
Dapper Dan & Superman 🤣

…Dallas 🤣
Texas! 🤣🤣 Tex for short 🤣🤣
That's so funny! My neighbor is named Stan. The horse looks more like a Stan than a Billy, but I couldn't do that! Hey, I'm from Oklahoma--definitely NOT naming any Dallas or Tex names!
I'll try to get a good picture of his face; he has more of a Robert Redford face than Billy the kid. Sundance isn't euphonious, though.

Washitas Dapper Dan has a new pasture mate. Rocking M RCS Billy the Kid. He needs some TLC, but he and Dapper Dan were fine with each other right away. He is 17, and Dapper Dan is 26, so they are getting pretty mellow in middle age.
For some reason, he just doesn't seem like a "Billy" to me. Not sure he knows his name; I don't like to change animals' names, but I might call him something else. Any ideas?
I gave him a bath this morning; his first in several years I think. Then he could hardly wait to roll, so there is no "after" photo of the bath! He did very well being bathed though. Tidying with clippers can wait for another day.
He won ribbons as a weanling and has been trained to drive in the past. We'll see how that goes. I was assured by former owners that he had no metabolic issues.
btw, Princess Midnight is doing wonderfully in her new home.
So it's not a real "change", maybe "Kiddo"?

My husband suggested Tonto. I thought of Sundance. I tried out several of the names last night while grooming.
I did not know Dapper Dan's owner was named Phipps! Very interesting to know.
Right! Ogden Phipps - he's the one who "won" the coin toss with Penny Chenery so that she ended up with the second choice mare's foal on the traditionally yearly "coin toss" breeding deal her father had had with Phipps over the years. HER foal ended up being Secretariat.

Thank you, AKSThomp. I learned something new today.🤗

As far as a name, since you mentioned Robert Redford:

Johnny (Hooker) from "The Sting"?

Tom (Booker) from "The Horse Whisperer"?

They both did good things in their movies. 😊

Although I must admit that I'm kind of leaning toward the Mr. Phipps too, even before I scrolled down and read the association with DD.

Right! Ogden Phipps - he's the one who "won" the coin toss with Penny Chenery so that she ended up with the second choice mare's foal on the traditionally yearly "coin toss" breeding deal her father had had with Phipps over the years. HER foal ended up being Secretariat.
I love this! Best horse movie/story out there I think! Now Mr Phipps seems very fitting.

Billy sure knows his name. Guess I won't change it; just have to get used to it.
He is 34" on his papers. Dapper Dan is 32 1/2. Do horses get shorter as they age like people do? I ought to measure Dapper Dan and see if he is still the same height.

Latest posts

Back