Some photos

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Kelly

Reaction score
You are so sweet Marsha but you don’t have to call the vet, I was just curious about his formula. I’m always interested in seeing what vets think and what others do.

I agree with Abby, 3 lbs doesn’t sound like enough hay to me either. All my boys get more than 3 lbs of hay a day each and they are much smaller than Billy.

I wonder if your weight tape is accurate Edelweiss. 370 lbs seems really big to me for a 34 inch mini. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is there a dog vet in your area that has a floor scale you could use?

Edelweiss

Reaction score
I wonder if your weight tape is accurate Edelweiss. 370 lbs seems really big to me for a 34 inch mini. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Is there a dog vet in your area that has a floor scale you could use?
That is what I am wondering.
I don't think so. I wish. I might have the vet weigh him with her tape next time she comes out. He could be every bit of 370. He is big barrelled and can be a hard keeper if not fed enough, but most of mine eat as much or more than a full size horse anyway. I believe the 2yr old is every bit of 350 though. Quite honestly I expected him to be more like 400. I was always told that the average 32" mini weighs around 250lbs and my 32" weighs 245 according to the tape, so I am not sure how accurate it is or isn't!

MaryFlora

Reaction score
I’m in the comfortable with more weight camp. DD in particular is chunky but her frame is broad and low to the ground. Our vet checked them over a few months back and was ok with their weight. He prefers more weight because our winters are so cold.

He has some pony clients where the fat ripples like a wave when he pats their back, and he said that is definitely too much.

So if your ponies don’t ripple, you’re golden. 😂

Latest posts