Some people make me so mad

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I went out for a nice leisurely drive through the park this afternoon with Chantilly. I trust her completely under harness, so I always get out of the cart satisfied when I get home.

I love making little kids happy, because I let them come up and pet Chantilly if they ask. However, today there were no kids at the park; just stuck up jerk teenage punks. The minute I saw them I got Chantilly into a trot (I knew what was going to happen), and all of a sudden I hear "NICE PONY" in a mocking voice, and then "Do you RIDE it?". At this point I keep her at an extended trot and I push her on, behind the safety of a building. I slow her to a walk, round the football field, and low and behold, many more teenage guys! This time I have Chantilly do a fast extended trot, and she was more than happy. Finally I was safe on a different road. I was NOT going back the way I came from.

I was on a new road with her, she did great even though she kept eyeing the grass. People do not know how to slow down. Although Chantilly was great, and she is so used to traffic, I was just afraid of anything happening.

I just felt like ranting, about the thing I LOVE SO MUCH. Tuesdays will not be a park driving day
no.gif

Oh I know how you feel about that. I had a good example of the same thing today, however I don't just go by as you do
biggrin.gif
. It was raining today so I hauled all my horses into town (10 miles) to ride in the indoor barn. I was loping circles on my mare and I see this group of teenage guys who had nothing better to do than cause trouble I guess come into the barn. "Can you go 100 miles an hour on your horse" "Pretty horsey" "You look good too" "Is it fun to ride" "Maybe you could ride something else" "Can we ride" (not meaning the horse) and several other very obnixous comments. I ignored them at first, finally I got mad and rode over and told them that if they didn't decide to either be polite or relocate I'd relocate them myself
biggrin.gif
. I informed them that my brother who is 6'6" 250 and buff was coming to ride in just a couple minutes. Along with about five of his friends who treat me like their sister and they had better be gone by then. Maybe there were a few other words that I included as well, but they did leave me to the rest of my peaceful afternoon. I know I shouldn't be that way, but the teenagers of this day and age are so rude. I can't help but tell them where to go. I'm barely past a teen myself, but I always try to be polite (unless they've got something else coming". I just hate the cat calls and rude comments about my horses that always seem to accompany these people. OK done venting now.

Please do not judge ALL teen-agers by a few trouble making louts of little or no upbringing. There biggest problem, unfortuantely is their parentage. Not all humans are as well bred as our horses.

Having seen so many GOOD hearted teenagers at the Nationals it is heart warming. On the night of the terrific rains I know my grandson was over in barn 'F" shovelling out muck until at least 3 a.m. Just because our own horses were not flooded was not enough. Many others were there as well,helping both friends and strangers. I never met a young person that was not polite, friendly and helpful . I think if more kids had a horse show to occupy their time there would be less out doing the catcalls & obnoxious stuff. It is very unsettling when you are out alone, mainly in case someone should hurt your horse somehow. I sympathize with you both, just don't like to see "teen-agers" lumped together both the good & the bad.

Some people can be jerks, that is for sure, and a lot of teen age boys can be totally immature. Sometimes, they out grow it...

I remember when I used to ride a lot, it would feel like every 10th car or truck past the riding ring would honk, I think to see if it would spook the horse, or motorcycles would rev loud to see if anything would happen. Some people just have a wierd idea of what is funny.

Don't let them bring you down. You're having way more fun than they are most times!

I am not saying all teens are like that. I am a teen myself, only five years left until I am adult. I get along with a lot of people, but mostly horse people and ffa members, along with the occasional nice people (including some "punks").

I just can't stand how people just don't respect other peoples' opinions. I mean, how would they feel if I completely made fun of their skateboard? I was already ridiculed by the more "popular" crowd last year for my showing off my horses, so I can say I am used to it.

If only there were more horse people in the world
rolleyes.gif

I know EXACTLY How you feel! Its one of those things you have to look at and say, WHO CARES WHAT YOU THINK! I am happy and enjoying my life better then you!

-Gage-

I have to apploud you for your even temper and the fact you just kept going about your own bussiness
aktion033.gif

I cant say I would have done the same
rolleyes.gif
I would have had a few "choice words"

I had a lady a year back... A big horse lady... Say something about Ernie being a horse/pig cross and what on earth can you do with a Miniature and something about him being just a hay burner after I explained that I drive him and have him as a pet but you can show minis in everything you can show horses in. After that I told her that Im sure her horses are no better then Ernie is and I really dont need her approvial to own a miniature especially since I didnt know her and she was just there for the garage sale but saw the horses.

Some people.

biggrin.gif
My method would have been different.

I'd have taken my "nice pony" right up to them and asked if they wanted to pet it and learn about her. Play dumb to their leading comments and make them feel uncomfortable. These type kids thrive on making wise-butt comments when surrounded by their friends but can't hack it if they are confronted and quickly back down.

As for the teenagers at the riding arena...I think they were handled very well with the 'threat' of big brother and friends coming.

Heidi

I know just how you feel. The ignorance and outright crudeness of some of the people you encounter out and about w/minis (or even big horses, as Jill mentioned, I had some real stupid situations present themselves courtesy of ignorant ppl that liked to "honk" as they drove past) is epic!

There was one probably a "tween" age boy that was particularly annoying over at Seaview when Kari and I would go out. I was in the process of helping her train her 38" B mare, Princess, and she was driving her 34" gelding. This kid would pop out the front door of the house they were staying in and shriek out in his little pre-teen falsetto, "the pony patrol! The pony Patrol, it's the pony patrol!" To make matters worse, we had to pass their house almost every time we went out and "Princess" chose that time to balk and not move forward, so we had to listen to the little idiot go off for three times as long, and laugh at her antics!

rolleyes.gif

Still, I have to figure he must have been pretty bored w/himself and his life to resort to that behavior.

Keep doing what you enjoy and maybe find someone who would like to go out driving with you!

There's safety in numbers and the comebacks are easier to think of when you have a good buddy along.

Liz M.

Insecure people mock what they don't understand because they are too ignorant to take the time to learn. I get the "mini" jokes all the time from people I work with because they think that they are worthless. We are a heavily agricultural area and anything that can't do a "job" is just a pointless waste of money. I'm the one that gets to enjoy them though because I think they are worth every penny, and they go home to their pathetic lives. Chalk it up to ignorance and be happy you are the one getting to enjoying one of the greatest breeds on the planet.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back