Some good animal rescue news from Katrina

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is encouraging that some animals are being rescued. I would be frantic about mine if I was in that situation. I pray they are all back with their families and safe soon.

My friends & I have been talking about this................we all are sure we'd be staying behind if they told us our animals couldn't go. There's no real choice here.

I just came home and Oprah is talking about animals being saved. I am so happy they are finally able to save some of the animals.

I didn't see that the above LSU link mentioned all their horse rescues (could have missed it though
smile.gif
) & the other link does mention the carriage mules being rescued.

From another board where one of the people involved with the LSU horse rescue posts daily, I know that they have been bringing horses out since Thursday of last week. They got 63 horses on Thursday, 7 horses (5 of them Minis) from Folsom on Friday, 19 carriage horses & mules (& their caregiver) on Saturday (2 more horses from that group went down in the trailers & had to be euthanized)--these horses had been in waist deep water since Monday & some had drank the foul salt water--they were very sick but have come around. The vets brought some out on Sunday, then yesterday got another 58 animals yesterday (mostly horses, a few mules & goats). This group wasn't as sick as the others, but this bunch had a lot of injuries from flying debris & such. As Elizabeth described it, there were horses with gashes & holes, and very bad infections. There were quite a number of foals, some of them not halter broke--one had injuries to both front legs and had to be carried into the barn. There was a report of 3 loose mules in the French Quarter, so the Texas mounted patrol that is working with LSU went in to look for them. They found them, and spend a long time trying to catch them--the mules would see them & go into the water & swim away. But, eventually the mules were caught & brought out. This dedicated group is no doubt in there again today rescuing more horses & mules (& yes, they have brought out some dogs too!!)

It is so great to hear of all the wonderful people that are now in there rescuing the animals!!

I just saw on another board--dogs and cats in Waveland MS are in a desperate situation. There was a reporter there today who says she say starving, thirsty dogs & cats, and there is no animal rescue there to help them. She got out of her car & was approached by several dogs. She took 3 of the worst injured to the Gulfport shelter, but they are at capacity. She's going back tomorrow with a trunk load of food & water, but they need more than that. She said she will take some cats/dogs back to Mobile tomorrow, but she is from Phoenix & has to return home on Friday.

Who are the animal rescue contacts for Mississippi's gulf coast, especially Waveland??

Minimor said:
I just saw on another board--dogs and cats in Waveland MS are in a desperate situation.  There was a reporter there today who says she say starving, thirsty dogs & cats, and there is no animal rescue there to help them.  She got out of her car & was approached by several dogs.  She took 3 of the worst injured to the Gulfport shelter, but they are at capacity.  She's going back tomorrow with a trunk load of food & water, but they need more than that.  She said she will take some cats/dogs back to Mobile tomorrow, but she is from Phoenix & has to return home on Friday.
Who are the animal rescue contacts for Mississippi's gulf coast, especially Waveland??

463405[/snapback]

If you can post back to her on the board, tell her to contact both Lone Star Rescue AND the Humane Society. By contacting more than one outfit, someone should help.

MA

PS: Have her contact the media as well....... The more attention given, the better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell her to go to petfinder and start contacting rescues in that area there are shelters closer than the ones I work with...... and the media is making this all sound like nothing is being done........plenty is being done but if the university vet school, AKC, and all the others involved in these efforts don't know where there are animals in need then of course they won't recieve help..........and there are shelters all over offering slots we have people all over the northwest willing to take one or two each it is a transport issue getting them to where there is some room...........

Latest posts

Back