Sold our first horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
We sold our first horse. It is both exciting and bitter sweet. We will miss him very much. He is going to a wonderful home and for him we are excited.

Just wanted to make sure I covered all the basis.

Coggins, Health papers, farrier trim, start on vaccinations, started on grain of new owners choice, order new halter and lead rope to send him home in.

Is there anything else other than preparing the paperwork once they get here I should do?

Thanks

Kay and Traci

[SIZE=14pt]A contract, bill of sale is imperative. Do you make any health guarantees, height guarantees, What is the payment cash or terms , what happens if buyers default??? Who pays for registration and transfer..... these are things that should be in writing even between friends.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Good idea to include at least a week's worth of the feed he's currently on, so that he can be slowly transitioned onto his new feed. Will help lower the risk of colic.

Make sure that ALL registration papers are current eversince he's been under your care! And you give the correct transfer papers. If there is no registration papers than we do a contract, or if there is a payment deal we do contracts or bill of sales.

I hate it when I recieve papers and they aren't current and you have a huge mess to clean up.

I have to repeat what the others have said....a contract is imperative!
yes.gif
It protects both you...AND the buyer.

Also....I like to make up a packet with lots of pictures of the subject horse (including appropriate pictures the new owner can use for the transfers). Also pictures of sire & dam & siblings if you have them. Type up a sheet with all the information you can think of pertaining to the horse...pedigrees, show records, favorite treats, favorite places to be scratched, things they DON'T like, habits (good & bad)...etc.
yes.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Dona I like the packet idea. I think Im going to steal that if I may![/SIZE]

Lyn
aktion033.gif

Help yourself Lyn!
yes.gif
I always have TONS of pictures around, and figure the new owner would appreciate them. I know that "I" would appreciate having photos of any horse I buy...especially foal photos, so I can see how they looked as a baby.
yes.gif

Congrats on selling your first horse and yes it is bittersweet, but hopefully you did your homework and the horse is going to a wonderful home. So I would follow everyone's advice above and then I suggest congratulate yourself and have a little toast with a nice little toddy and pat yourself on the back.

Thank you all. I do have a contract so I think that part is taken care of. I also like the packet idea and will start preparing it. This is one of this years colts, our little palomino. He is just be weaned and I am weaning him over to the new owners grain of choice(Omelene 300).

Thanks again

Kay and Traci

Latest posts

Back