Sold a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candleliteranch

Reaction score
I am so upset! I sold a gelding to what I thought was a very good home. the family made payments on him for several months. they paid him off and picked him up a little over a month ago. He had at one time had an eye injury and lost a small section of his eyelid. I made sure the new owner was aware of it before he left. I told her it would sometimes tear up and get runny if it was windy out. all we ever had to do was wipe it out and rinse it and it was fine. Had the vet flush his tear duct just in case.

She took him home and put a fly mask on him AND left his halter on him 24/7 for over a month without ever taking the mask off. She called today and said she noticed a "bad smell" on his mask so took it off to look. His eye is a mess! She said it's swollen, red and has a blue film on it! He also has a major sore on his face where he's been trying to rub the mask off. Says she called the vet and they can't come till THURSDAY!

I told her to tell them it's an emergency and to get them out there quickly! She says "I don't think they'd consider it an emergency"! To me an eye injury is most defiinitely an emergency!

They are in the process of buying a house and packing to move, so obviously the horses took a back seat. THIS is why I seldom sell a horse! This is just making me sick to think that my boy is suffering because of her carelessness.

So sorry to read this Lisa - an eye injury is most definitely an emergency!

We had two eye removals this year - one mare had injured her eye and slammed her head into a post while we were catching her, the other poked it with we don't know - not fun! They are costly and can affect many horses personalities, plus endanger them.

It is difficult selling anyting living - I keep thinking I should raise fish or plants - I probably wouldn't worry so much about their future!

l totally agree people now a days are also starting to make me a little sick when it comes to animals and their care. l hope he can get looked at sooner then thursday.

URGH!

I am so sorry!!! This is one reason I don't like fly masks. It's too easy to "forget" to check and make sure all is well and YES it is an emergency. At this point, even if the vet were out TODAY, he might loose the eye. Horse eye injuries can go from bad to worse so fast from what I have read.

I can only imagine how I'd feel to have the new owner tell me she didn't feel it was an emergency. I'd want to come through the phone.

I know I may be jumping the gun but could you see if she wants to sell him back to you? I put fly mask on all 3 of mine but my horses come in at night so off the masks come. I don't think people realize the responsability of a mini. They take just as much care a a big horse and just because they are small does not mean the vet charges any differant!

I just can't see how you could not notice a SMELL
new_shocked.gif
comming from you loving pets eye!

Keep us updated as to how he's doing

Leya

I agree, I offer to bring him home. The heck with them, the horse is most important. Hope it works out. How far away is he?

My vets have always told me anything to do with eyes is considered an emergency. We do not mess around with eye problems at all. i hope they reconsider and get the vet out before thursday!

jennifer
saludando.gif

capall beag said:
Lets hope she will learn from her mistake?

470161[/snapback]

Unfortunately it may be the horse who suffers for the mistake.
no.gif

And I agree that an eye injury IS an emergency. I'd nag at the new owner to nag at the vet to get there ASAP.

I'd also warn the new owner, that she is risking that her horse may lose his sight!

MA

Any vet worth the title knows ANY injury to or around the eye which may affect vision is an EMERGENCY!! Can you get her to call another vet? Funny smell, my rear! That fly mask needs to come off to have the whole face checked out at least once a day! I'm so sorry about this....I sold a big horse once, my first horse, and the lady called a week later to say he was in the middle of a serious bout of colic. I cried and cried, I thought I'd killed my horse by selling him. Took him a month to fully recover. I am sending good thoughts out to you and this little guy.

I would certainly off to buy the horse back for his own good and health.

Dimimore said:
I agree, I offer to bring him home.  The heck with them, the horse is most important.  Hope it works out.  How far away is he?
470078[/snapback]

Same here! He needs to get the right care... Immeditatly!

Back