Solar water tanks for minis??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secuono

Reaction score
Anyone make one for minis?

I have a 100gal and my minis can use it as long as there is 50% or more water in it. But if I add a cover and a square opening, they may not be able to reach anymore. If I place the hole by the wall, they still may not want to stick their heads into this weird box.

Picture of your mini solar heaters?

037b26ae99326d8a0566b50d0573bddb.jpg

Horses will put their heads anywhere for water if it is the only source. I don't have one, but i love the idea. I may just insulate my own! Not that it gets very cold here, in fact i have only had to break the ice on my trough once lol

Can you recess the tub into the ground a bit or build a small ramp/gradual incline to allow your minis to reach to the bottom? I like this idea and think it will work if you can figure out how to get them to use it. Is your barn plummed to rig upp a float and automatically fill it? Keeping it full would solve the issue. I use insulated automatic tubs for my cows. They have floating balls that cover the hole in the cover to help insulate and prevent freezing. I had to build a small platform out of a pallet and planks so that the little calves could get up high enough over the top of the trough to push the balls down and reach in for a drink. Without the ramp, they could not reach over the top to drink.

You would think that they would get thirsty enough to just stick their heads in, but it seems there is always one in the yard either not smart or brave enough to stick their head in there. With all of the risks associated with dehydration, it is nice to have peace of mind in knowing that they can and will drink from it.

I made one that was similar but with a tank that was lower - made for sheep. Whatever you do, make it easy to remove the cover - or pull the tank out of this in order to clean it about once a week. Otherwise it will get green and slimey and stinky if left any longer than that.

Latest posts

Back