Solar Fencers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenB

Reaction score
We need a new electric fencer for all of our new fence, and as stated on another post, the insurance company wants it installed outside. I am relying more on the electric than before, and I am concerned about a power outage if we aren't home to start the generater. Solar fencing would eliminate that worry, plus it is designed to mount outdoors. But we live in Michigan, and sometimes especially through the winter months, we don't see a lot of sunshine. Would the solar fencers be able to collect enough energy to operate efficiently, or would I have to have a back up fencer?

They work here, so they will work anywhere!! They charge the battery that runs the fencer, and most have an "overcharge" setting so they cannot get carried away and blow the battery up!! So, the answer is Yes- get a good battery, though, as it charges more easily, do not rely on an old car battery, like me!! The other option is a wind generator, they really do work!!

One problem you might encounter in the winter time few people think of. In many areas of Michigan as well as the other northern areas is the ground freezing. If the ground freezes to a depth below your ground rod the electric fencer regardless of solar or electric with not work with any degree of reliability. Are you sure it is necessary ?? My animals will not go near the fence and it has not been turned on but once for a few hours when we opened the new pasture. They have a mortal fear of the electric fence and give it wide birth. Horses could walk over the electric fence if they wanted but their nature does not allow them to reason how high the fence is just that they got japped there.

I have a few like that but most will test the fence at regular intervals and a couple even listen for the "ticks" so they can tell if the battery is low. My fencing is all internal- I would hate for a horses life to depend on whether or not it would risk walking through a fence that is not live.

[SIZE=14pt][/COLOR][/size][/SIZE][/size][/font]

Karen,

We used a solar fencer one winter. Living in Michigan, just under Lake Superior we get very few days of sun. Our fencer was hit and miss and was not reliable so we switched over to electric, mainly because of the stallion. BUT...I also found that deeper into winter we need no fencer at all because of the huge depth of snow we get!! These dudes don't want to venture far when they can't see over the snow banks! It makes a natural fence.

Otherwise, in the spring, summer and fall, the fencer was ok....that is until it got hit by lightening!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. I do have horses who will test the fence. I have seen them chewing on the old stuff when it was off.
ohmy.gif
And I have stallions who would love to break through and join the mares. So far they are all very respecting of the new fence, and I want them to continue that. We are hit & miss here for depth of snow. Sometimes we have lots, and some years we get only moderate amounts which melts off quickly. Although our snow amounts vary a lot, cloudy/overcast days are very normal here.

I am in central Michigan and my vets assistant had a solar charger and she had no problems what so ever.

Latest posts

Back