Socializing new foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
So I have the custest filly. She was born on Sat. And mom will not let me near her. She blocks her or runs aroundl. It is not uncommon for the mare to act this way but I do not want the filly to take these trait on. How can I socailize this filly with any stress or harm????

Once I get my hand on the filly she is fine and the mare doesnt try to charge or harm me. It is just a chase until then.

My husband delivered the fosl to we were able to do some imprinting. I hope it helps.

Sounds normal to me. My mares do the exact same thing. She should relax some over the next few weeks. She's just being a good protective Momma. I make a point to never get between Mom and baby. I usually kneel down near the front door of the stall and set quietly. Mom will relax and go back to her hay and eventually curiosity takes over and baby can't stand it and has to come and investigate me.

You'll be fine. Your little one is still very very young. If necessary most new Moms (at least the ones in my barn) love a special treat. For a few carrots they don't mind us having a few moments with baby.

Good Luck

Thanks. This is a mare that fleets a lot. We have worked so much woth her and she came around a lot!! She will not let loose even for treats. It is like she is running a marathon. The poor baby runs like 8 steps to her one. I just want to kiss the baby!!!

if you feed her in her stall will she let you near the foal, while she eats?

Robin

Oh yeh! When mom is eating I can play with the baby, and once I catch her the mom has no problem playing with the baby. She never pins her ears or anything. She just makes me work for the luv
default_wub.png

Instead of trying to catch the baby every time you go in try loving the mare instead. (think of all the hard work she did so you could have this foal to love ;) ) Groom her and talk to her and clean her feet and I'll bet with in a week that foal will be sniffing you and momma will be completely relaxed about it. When she realizes you aren't 'after' her baby and you are there for her she will be glad to see you and that will benefit baby too. Her being glad to see you will let baby know you are safeand then you can start to teach baby all about life as a domestic horse.

We have worked with the mom. She was not abused but neglected. She is not mean but is a runner. To love the mom I still have to chase them down. I dont want to add stress. Mom wont even take treats.

We have a couple of mares that came from huge herds that are like what you describe.

As Reignmaker said, it's important to give recognition to the mare first. Then sit down in the stall and just have a quiet time. The mare will get used to your being there and the foal's curiosity will win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is what I have done. I bought a mare last year in foal. A very dominant mare (Big Boss). She was pasture bred so no idea of when she would foal. I stalled her in early January and started working with her. Leash trained her to come to the gate to get out for a walk and a run. I had to use a curb chain cause she was bad, would try to walk over me. Well to make a long story short after 4 months of handling, grooming, talking sweet nothings to her but also being the leader she has really come around. When she foaled I was afraid she would hurt me, but when she laid her ears back at me I just walked right to her head and took hold of her halter quickly, talked to her softly, scratched her favorite spot and bent down an started scratching the foal. She hasn't done it since. I always go to the mare 1st when entering the stall or round pen, then we get the baby. It is a 2 man job to get both for sure. Well worth the effort spent on the mare she is so worth it. The baby is gorgeous just love her and want to socialize her too. She is already willingly coming to people for a scratch and petting.

Well, the mare we have been able to catch and bring her in every night. She is not the boss. SHe is the low man in the heard. Even though she was our 2nd mini. I am so happy of her progress. She leads great but she is a runner and now so is the foal. Eventually the mare comes around but the poor foal runs sooo fast. But lets me hold and hug her once I get eventually get them

Hmmm.........I had a mare that did the same thing. She wasn't a runner, unless she had a foal. Since I feed twice a day, I kept the mare and foal in a smaller pen during the day, and a stall a night, then tied the mare up when I fed her, so I could love on the baby. I just went slowly with the foal, and it didn't take long for the foal to realize she liked being scratched, especially on her neck and rear. After a week, I didn't have to tie the mare anymore, and the baby was all over me, wanting to be scratched. Good luck!

That is what I did. When I fed mom, I loved on the baby. THe mare was ok with that until the cat ran in and scared everyone. I think she will come around

Oh and take a treat when you aproach the stall just for moma, fruit loops, an apple something she likes. I went out 10 times a day just with alittle treat for her so she would link me with something yummy. I would sometimes make her eat it from my hand but also just put it in the feeder. I would stand there till she came to the feeder to get it and then reach in and scratch her withers or her neck. She will come around with gentle persistance. I would try not to chase them. Lots of times that makes it worse. Like many people have said sit in the stall or pen and let them come to you.

I have tried every treat and the mare will not eat it! If I leave it in the bowl she wont even eat her grain. Oh, you cant even tempt her with grain either. She doesnt care for it.

I have tried

froot loop

apple

horse treats

etc

Latest posts

Back