Socializing a Five Year Old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
My daughter's little black driving pony has evidently had a rough life. Any socializing tips or tricks anyone can recommend? He is five possibly six and I think he was left a stud until last summer. This poor little guy does not seem to be enjoying anything. He continually hides his little face in the corner of his stall and stands off by himself from his pasture pals. He does not seem mean just so sorrowful. We try to baby him, lots of treats (probably too many), constant attention, but nothing seems to help. Thanks.

You didn't say how long you've had him, but socializing takes time, time and sometimes more time. Good luck with little Blackie!!

Good point--I forgot. He has been in my barn since the first of October and I have worked with him every single day--usually two times a day. He is just so sad it breaks my heart...have had him completely vet checked and he is fine health-wise. Miniatures certainly are different than larger breeds.

What I have been told by a trainer, not too give the new ones special treatment in front of your other guys, they will be jealous and put him in his place.

Cannot change pecking order. Just make sure he is fed separately to make sure he gets his share.

One day someone will let him in with the rest. When you give extra treats, and give others heck (not sure if you are doing this or not) but I have been known to interfere, & made it worse.

I know our hearts go out to the miss treated ones.

Hope this helps
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a shy one. He was 5 when I got him and hadn't really been handled much. I have had him almost 2 years now. I got the TTouch book. It is a little complicated for regular people (like me) to use, but I got some pointers out of it, such as massage techniques. I think it is helpful to handle him all over.

I think it is important to be consistant with the shy one. Actually, mine is driving now and the cart work has helped him immensely. I think he needed to know he could perform a job well. Mine is also a little lazy, so I have to learn to motivate him without losing ground. Have patience!!

LGahr,

I would SO recommend talking to Bonnie Fogg! Some people (not you or anyone in particular) don't seem to realize animals have feelings just like us. If he's ok health wise, I would bet it's something mental. If you really want to 'get to know' him, please contact Bonnie, it's well worth the small amount she charges. I hope you believe in animal communicators. There are lots and lots of folks on here that will contest to her special talent!

Pam

How would be it be if he had a special friend in the herd? I had a filly that was like that, everybody picked on her. We finally got a baby jack donkey and they are inseparable! I have never seen her so happy. Could you pair him off with one or another and see if they bond together in private? If they do, he will have a back up bud in the herd and build confidence.

It is so heartbreaking to see them like that! Good luck, I hope you find something that works for him!

Yep thats sad l would also find him a buddy to pair up with seperated from the others for a while till he's more sure of himself before turning him out with the others....

STOP giving him all the extra attention and treats! Give ALL your horses treats EQUALLY.

He's not being accepted into the herd BECAUSE of the extra attention. It's like being the "teacher's pet" at school.

If you want to give him extra hugs and kisses, do it out of view of his pasture buddies, so he won't get picked on when you aren't looking.
default_yes.gif
:

Just my 2 cents.

MA

imo, i would sit in the stall with him on a chair every day, and read a magazine, :lol: and ignore him, he will come to you eventually...then you can talk to him ,and let him know you mean no harm, id say youll be friends in no time
default_yes.gif
:

LGahr,I would SO recommend talking to Bonnie Fogg! Some people (not you or anyone in particular) don't seem to realize animals have feelings just like us. If he's ok health wise, I would bet it's something mental. If you really want to 'get to know' him, please contact Bonnie, it's well worth the small amount she charges. I hope you believe in animal communicators. There are lots and lots of folks on here that will contest to her special talent!

Pam

i agree! Bonnie is great. she has been a big help to me already and i only found out about her a month ago. (P.S. Bonnie Maggie's behavior was MUCH better this morning... and my daughter found a HUGE crusty lump of gunk in between CC's teats and washed it all out - she's much faster than me at avoiding kicks! - so i am sure that she will feel much better now, at least there... the rest of the bruises and cuts will heal in time.)

Hey Linda,

I know what your talking about. I got the feeling from blackie that he just isnt use to being loved on and doesnt know how to respond to that. Dusty and your spotted mini grew up with plenty of people affection and love, they know how to exept it. Blackie came from that amish enviroment where he was thought of more as a 'thing'. I know if anyone can bring the love out in this little horse, you can!

What i would do:

Everyday bring him in and full body groom him, hug all over him and rub him ...find his spot that he likes to be rubbed. He may not let you know what spot that is but you can watch his ears/expression. Every horse i've ever met has that one spot that when you rub there it put them in la la land. Softly rub his face and tell him what a good little boy he is and how beautiful he is, tell him that over and over agian and dont forget to throw in a 'i love you so much sweety'. Sounds dumb, i know but i've had it work for me before ..i know it can work for you.

I hope you look into contacting bonnie, she is really good and may be worth it to find out what is behind this guys hardshell. I know there is a soft loving little blackie in their somewhere. I think he is just so use to be 'uses' and thought of as an object, you have to let him know he is more then an object.
default_smile.png

I know how much you and jamie love him, i could tell. You are the perfect home for him
default_smile.png
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Hi all,

I was suprised to see this post! The pony we're talking about is in my avatar.

His problem I don't believe has anything to do with pecking order. The others don't pick on him, he just keeps his distance from everyone. If we put hay in the pasture they will eat togethere. And they are all spoiled equally :aktion033: . Mom spends time with them all, they have a routine. I try to spend equal time with them all when I'm there too.

We haven't been working Blackie other than just petting, grooming, treats & lots of TLC. In hopes he realize human contact can be ok and it is not all hard work. I've wondered if him being gelded at 5 last August was a extremely tramatic experience. He was gelded by Amish and I hear they don't sedate or give them anything. Hard to tell what this guy has been thru. He already looks and acts better but still so depressed acting.

We are just so use to having all our pets being love bugs within a week or so. He's just turning out to be a harder case. He just seems so Sad all the time. It would sure be interesting to here what Bonnie would say? ( I'm not familiar with her or her work, but sounds interesting.)

We've all spent time in his stall and the round pen waiting for him to come to us, and he will but only for the treat and if you reach out to him he shys away. We've spent alot of time doing this but now its turned so cold, so as soon as the weather lets up though, I'll be sure to take a book
default_smile.png

Sorry to jump in on your thread here mom, but I think you'll agree its not a pecking order issue.

Thanks to everyone on this LB this is a addictive Forum, I'm always on here reading when I should be doing other things. >> I know when the weather breaks - We'll have to take a laptop to the barn and surf with Blackie,,LOL -- MOM, think we can get internet hooked up in the barn?? LOL :bgrin

Hi,

I came on here to again ask youall to PLEASE look into Bonnie's talent!! I know there are lots of people who do not believe in 'animal communicating' but there are lots of folks on this forum that sure believe it now! Bonnie is wonderful! You have had him long enough to have at least started seeing a difference toward people. It could be something else. Bonnie will be able to tell you what HE says is bothering him and she can also tell HIM what youall want to say to him.
default_yes.gif
: Let us know how he does.

Pam

Latest posts

Back