Soap Burn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniNHF

Reaction score
A few days after my gelding came back from a 4 day venture to a show the skin on his neck near his mane line started coming off in sheets perse, then it started flaking bad after we started treating it. I came to find out from the barn owner that my youth exhibitor (who is my 15 yr old niece) didnt wash him thoroughly and the end result was soap burn :/ frustrating...

Since last friday we have tried using rose oil, selsun blue and micro tek but its having little effect on it. Has any one ever experienced this and know what will really works? I hate to have to pull him out of the show on Saturday/Sunday just because of this ugh.

another note, there is no hair loss or pain to the area.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used aloe and vitamin e in this situation before. After a good rinse, I'll apply the gel and keep the horse out of the sun to avoid irritation. Over washing it can further irritate it too. Hope he feels better.

I really don't know, but what about zinc oxide (desitin), it's used for baby butt rash, so maybe it would be a good choice for this issue.

Aloe works wonders
default_smile.png

I have to try some of those things, thanks everyone for the suggestions
default_smile.png

I have always had good luck with Schreiner's Herbal Solution for horses. I have never had soap burn before, but last year I had one that had a reaction to medication. His skin was shedding and he lost almost all of his hair and mane. It seemed to help a lot. It is all natural and has aloe in it. The spay-on is good for larger areas. The only downfall I have had is that it does darken the coat while you are using it if your horse is light colored.

Back