So whats the meanest thing someone has said to you? I think I have a winner here!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My parents and I had a falling out....oh.....I guess it's been 40 years ago (I was quite young at the time). My father (who is a doctor) told me I'd never amount to anything, he wouldn't help support me (I was a teenager at the time) and if I ever got ill, not to go to his hospital because it would be too embarrassing for him. Whatever. So I haven't contacted him since then. Must have been 1976. They live in New Orleans. When Katrina hit, hubby said I should call to check to see if they were ok. I told him it wasn't a good idea but he sorta guilted me into it. So I call. My father answers, right? I ask how he is and he wants to know who is calling. I naturally say "It's Shelley". He tells me......wait for it.....I don't know anyone named Shelley. All righty then, if you don't remember having a daughter named Shelley, who am I to argue?

Sigh.

Haven't spoken to any of my family since then. Don't care to ever again.
OMG! That's just horrible. Guess what? Its their loss, cause we all love you and consider you family. The family we chose is sometimes better than the family we are born into. [i say sometimes, cause I do get along with my parents, its just my sister that has caused me issues in the past.]

I have to say I may have to change my title, some of your stories blow me away. Thank you all for sharing.

Mother of mercy, what the heck was your mother-in-law thinking?? That was a horrible thing to say and I bet it's not the first time she's been mean to you. That was a comment made by a very mean, hates- their- life kinda person. I seriously do not think that's a comment a normal person makes.
default_sad.png

Ashley, As a longtime forum member who has "known" you since you were a teenager, let me say that your daughter is an incredibly fortunate child to have such an intelligent, courageous and self-motivated mother. You are a great role model for any child, and your love for your daughter is evident in all of your posts.

DITTO Susanne Ashley

To everyone here, from my heart........{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Oh the "Fat" remark ...dont ya just love mindless people ! grrr , they prefer to ask me if i am pregnant ...I guess i carry my extra weight in front ! I hear that often . I reply with " No , I am going through menopause, and I spend too much time in the kitchen" we have a restaurant ;) I was recently told that I looked better in a photo I have with longer hair ... well most people look better in professional photos taken 10 years ago ;) good grief ! I was also told that same day my horse was fat ... exact words translated in English " oh your horse is so nice ...but too bad he is so fat" thanks !!! so not only do i look old fat and ugly in short hair , but my horse is fat too !!! I had dreams later that I was unemployeed , very large and living back home with my parents !!!! I can laugh about it now , but WOW , what a weekend !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why, after the week I have had, that I ended up on this thread. For the first time I got mad about how my horse was treated and put myself out there this last week. I try to stay home, or hidden online much of the time because I wonder sometimes if I too am dysfunctional. Especially the way some people respond to my post sometimes.

My sister and I grew up part of a large Italian family, but unfortunately our mother is evil incarnate, married to my father who suffered terribly in WWII so he was dysfunctional but intelligent and a hero. All of your horrible descriptions describe just part of what we endured. Both of us finally just cut off from her in order to remain sane. But she is such a good liar and actress that the rest of our family thinks we are terrible daughters. Growing up neglected, abused verbally and physically, and constantly moving tends to make you struggle for years just to learn what normal is, and how to function in the world. Many times we had no idea what the other kids in school were talking about for things like tv shows, movies, toys. I never once had a lunch at school, not once. And there is so much worse, but I learned to hide it well. I truly feel bad for all of you that have been treated terribly by others.

Because of the unfairness of an overabundance of love and care that was shown to our brother it took me awhile to realize why I go ballistic when I see a child, or when I was younger a handicapped child, or an animal treated unfairly or mistreated. That led to my kids keeping quiet about anything remotely going wrong at school, poor things lol. (injected humor)

I don't have a thick skin and I too get comments, even from doctors that are insulting about appearance. Many times people are just plain ignorant and don't realize they are insulting you, or hurting you. It still hurts, but I recognize an honest mistake. My hairy/furry kids are my life here for all the reasons mentioned. I too try to shop for groceries early, early, other things online or just not go to shop, I don't even go to my husbands company dinners. As much as sometimes I would like to, I never join any functions or clubs for art or horses because there are too many wonderful things in life to enjoy besides natty, jealous gossip, competition, clicks/cliques and mean spirited people. I admire those of you who can set aside someone's nasty temperament and just go on.

I have never, ever even breathed a hint of my childhood, not even my husband knows the extent of what was done to us, but I guess that is why I ended up here, and it helped. I never thought anyone would believe me, or would just think I was weird to talk that way about my mother. Thanks

rubyviewminis,

I'm so glad that you have your horses, as they truly are therapeutic, but I wish you would also find a counselor to talk with and relieve yourself of this burden. You're carrying about a huge amount of pain, and I believe entrusting your story to a good listener would bring you tremendous relief. You should NOT feel guilty -- you are not a bad daughter for being honest about your mother. Please take care.

Latest posts

Back