So much energy!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjoy85

Reaction score
Our minis are about 2 weeks into their new feeding regimen. They have so much more spunk and get the zoomies a lot!! Our 24yr old gelding is just a blur in front of the window as he runs past. The girls are full of spunk too, which is awesome because they need to lose some weight. Our gelding is on triple crown senior and the girls are on triple crown lite and they are only getting 1.5% of their body weight in hay instead of a lot more. The girls have hay bellies and are overweight, so this is going to be so good for them. I'm excited to see them play more, act like young horses, and be healthier. We have fed purina products in the past and thought we loved them...but they didn't produce this much energy. I'm loving it! They aren't "hot headed" even with their new-found energy. It will be fun to see how their coat, body condition, and energy levels improve over time.

That is wonderful! I put my 4 little boys on their new feeding program last fall and boy has it made a difference too. I feed a ration balancer along with coastal hay. Little Thunder‘s coat was coarse and rough, now he is silky and smooth. In fact all of them look beautiful! My farrier says everyone’s feet look good and their hooves are growing so fast. And their body Condition/weight is perfect! Very exciting!

Triple Crown Lite feeding directions are 1-2# per 500# bodyweight, so you need to do a little math. If you mini is 250#, the daily ration would be 1/2-1# daily. When I had it and weighed it, it was 6oz per cup (standard dry measure kitchen cup). [Per Triple Crown website, they have a density chart, it's 1.42# per quart, that's .355# or 5.68oz.] 3/4 cup is 4.6oz by my weights (so 1.5 cups daily would get you close to that 1/2# daily for 250# mini). Always weigh to double check amounts.

Now I’m wondering if mine are getting enough feed. I worry all the time about their feed and it is helpful to see a formula. Thank you!
Are your minis grazing in addition to getting this feed?

Now I’m wondering if mine are getting enough feed. I worry all the time about their feed and it is helpful to see a formula. Thank you!
Are your minis grazing in addition to getting this feed?

Are they fat? Then they are getting too much. Are they skinny? Then they aren’t getting enough. 🤣 🤣 😂 😂

I know what you mean though, I worry about my little boys all the time. I like mine on the slimmer side, they get 1.5% - 2 % of their body weight in hay. So Shadow weighs 250 pounds, he gets 3.75 pounds of hay a day plus his ration balancer. Mine are on a drylot. I weigh everything using a kitchen scale.

I laughed out loud at your response. 😂 I think they are just right. Vet says one should gain. Farrier says she’s fat. (He’s a very experienced horseman and he’s helped me with other horses in the past.) So I’ll draw that line down the middle and say shes fine.
I’ll start weighing their hay from now on. They graze all day in a paddock that has nothing to truly eat. It’s the psychological aspect and it makes them happy although they act like they are starving all the time. And that worries me. It’s my first time owning minis and it’s a new learning experience.

Are they fat? Then they are getting too much. Are they skinny? Then they aren’t getting enough. 🤣 🤣 😂 😂

I know what you mean though, I worry about my little boys all the time. I like mine on the slimmer side, they get 1.5% - 2 % of their body weight in hay. So Shadow weighs 250 pounds, he gets 3.75 pounds of hay a day plus his ration balancer. Mine are on a drylot. I weigh everything using a kitchen scale.
What is Shadow’s ration balancer?

Triple Crown Lite feeding directions are 1-2# per 500# bodyweight, so you need to do a little math. If you mini is 250#, the daily ration would be 1/2-1# daily. When I had it and weighed it, it was 6oz per cup (standard dry measure kitchen cup). [Per Triple Crown website, they have a density chart, it's 1.42# per quart, that's .355# or 5.68oz.] 3/4 cup is 4.6oz by my weights (so 1.5 cups daily would get you close to that 1/2# daily for 250# mini). Always weigh to double check amounts.
Do yours also get hay and are they in a dry lot?

Do yours also get hay and are they in a dry lot?
Not currently feeding TC Lite, but rather TC Senior and a ration balancer, depending on what each horse needs in addition to hay and/or pasture. Our grass is just coming in good, the geldings have been getting some grazing the last couple weeks, the mares haven't started going out yet. We have cattle fattening grass, so they only get part time on grass, then the rest of the time on dry lot with some hay (dry lot at night for safety, as we have coyotes). I'm not sure how much pasture time they will get this year, if we don't get more rain it won't be much, as our grass is not as plentiful as previous years.

Latest posts

Back