So I got A sheep. PIC ADDED!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These sheep my neighbor has he calls hair sheep. There is no shearing so I like that part!

Yes, there are 'hair' sheep, raised for meat (katahdins, st croix, dorper for example) and wool sheep that are raised for their fleece.

Just depends what market you are wanting to get into

~kathryn

wow, never heard of a hair sheep, will have to google that one.

I have Hair sheep, and now a Finn ewe. Decided to get at least one with wool, as I hand spin. Do plan on getting at least one more Finn.

Hope you do not mind me sharing.

This is the newest,, she is the Finn ewe

AddaFinnSheep26Aug13.jpg

Here I have two pure Bred Katahdin and one Katahdin/Dorper/StCroix, they have a job, being lawn mowers. They are "Hair" sheep. If you want ones that fully shed, get the old line pure bred Katahdins.
Not the crosses.

The crosses with Droper, like the boy on the right... need some help fully shedding out. In fact, he still has a tuff of hair left, I couldn't get off.

Katahdins5Aug13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shari, Yes, I've found that with my dorper/st croix they don't fully shed out....and the cheviot/dorper I have to shear.

I like your Finn...don't know much about them.....

~kathryn

If all the Finn's are like her... they are super people friendly, easy to halter train and handle and wonderful to have around. Hear their fleece is both good for felting and hand spinning. Her's feels sooo soft!

Mindy your new little guy is beautiful. Back in the 80's we had a barbadoes sheep, she was brown and black and looked like a goat, I had to bottle feed her and hubby built me a play pen so I could keep her in the bedroom till she was old enough to stay outside with the minis. She was self shedding. We haven't had sheep for years, but this year at the fair there were some Old English Baby Doll sheep that were so cute, and now I want one!

Latest posts

Back