So Excited!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O So

Reaction score
I had a new to me vet come out today to see if they would be able to geld O So the normal way! He is Crypt..... (don't know how to spell the actual word). The vet was a real nice younger guy! I really liked him. He answered all my questions and didn't keep trying to leave. He was able to determine he could do the procedure the normal way, with out a major surgery!
default_aktion033.gif
That means I get to have him gelded now! I can afford 200 bucks, but wouldn't have been able to swing a 800 - 1200 dollar procedure at this time! I would have had to wait another year if that would have been the case! But Yippeeee he will be done on Oct. 22!!! I am so excited!!!
default_biggrin.png
He is starting to act like a little stallion now and is kind of getting rambunctious! I think his better feed has something to do with that too though! He is finally feeling good enough to act like a stallion!!

I just had to share with you all!! I guess it is kind of weird to be so excited about a thing like this! LOL

Oh, and the new vet didn't even charge me for today visit!!! I mean, all he did was cop a feel! LOL I like this new guy. He is now my vet!! He likes it or not!! LOL
default_biggrin.png

Kim you really are the kind of person everyone would like to have own one of their horses...if you ever want to get another one I think you would have people on this Forum lining up to sell you a companion for OSo, he is one lucky chap.

I am so glad the gelding worked out OK, it is always great when things go right, isn't it?

$200 sure sounds like a nice price to geld. I had the vet that did Dusty's testicle exam (to make sure there were 2 and they were normal for AMHA) give me an estimate on a simple geld and he said it would start at $550 and WOULD go up from there. Well, he is staying a stallion for now. I have found another vet that is cheaper but I have not ever met this vet. I hate to have him handled as if he were a bull to get a cheaper price.

I just got my boy done here in Nova Scotia, Canada and the cost was 380$ and that included a return visit when Orion got a fever and a low grade infection. 550$ is way too much for a normal gelding procedure at least here where I live and I thought Canada was always more expensive from what I've heard on here. So glad that O So is going to be able to be gelded. Orion went to his first show in 3 years, a month after he was gelded and he won High Point Pleasure and High Point overall!!! in our local show (14 adult driving horses competing). You'll be so pleased with the change in his behavior. Orion is getting more and more reasonable everyday.

amanda

weerunner

Here in Alberta, I paid $250 to get my mini donkey gelded.

Gelding fees here in northeast Texas run from about $85 to $150 with the lower price being for weanlings. The last cryptorchid I had done (both testicles were retained) ran about $400.

The vet quoted me $190 in shop price. He said to add another $66. to do it at my house! I will be taking O So to the clinic. It is only about 10 - 15 miles from me. I can do all surface streets, remember, I am taking him in my bus! LOL It isn't a freeway bus! Slow speeds are best! LOL I figured at their place it will be sanitized and they will be able to watch him while he recovers from the Anastasia! Then I can just go pick him up later that day!

I am taking an extra week off from work, just to be with O So as he is recovering!! So in total I will have the whole month of Oct. off!!! Yippee!!! I have never taken that much time off work before!! I'm going on a 15 day cruise with my Mom the first 3 weeks, then the next day after we get back, O So has his procedure!!

I live in IL, and we have a vet school that will geld for free in the winter months. You have to leave your horse there for two days, but they do all sorts of tests beforehand for free. You have to make an appointment now, and they geld two a week, starting in January. U of IL vet clinic does this. I wonder if other state vet schools have a similar program. I found out about this, right after I had my little guy gelded. I paid 150, which is less than my vet charges to neuter a large dog! My newly gelded fellow is a yearling, and he is acting so sweet and mature now!

I live in IL, and we have a vet school that will geld for free in the winter months. You have to leave your horse there for two days, but they do all sorts of tests beforehand for free. You have to make an appointment now, and they geld two a week, starting in January. U of IL vet clinic does this. I wonder if other state vet schools have a similar program. I found out about this, right after I had my little guy gelded. I paid 150, which is less than my vet charges to neuter a large dog! My newly gelded fellow is a yearling, and he is acting so sweet and mature now!
We have UC Davis here in CA. I think it used to be cheaper, but with the times, it has become just as much as normal vets! I decided to go with Loomis Equine Center because it was closer to me! That and I really was impressed with the vet they sent out to "cop a feel"! LOL

My kids and I have a very bad thing about practical jokes. We were always pulling something on each other. Last time I had a horse gelded, I put those meatballs in a zip lock storage bag and froze them. You can guess the rest

Hey, Halloween's coming!

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW! Marty!

I took pics and have great close up shots of the proceedure done on both my boys in the pasture when they were done ... very informative and interesting proceedure to watch, but I never thought about saving them! EEK!

BTW ... My vet charged $145.00 each

Oso, congratulations on being able to have the gelding done so quickly! You will certainly enjoy your boy so much more. And great to hear he is feeling so much better so he can act feisty!

Good for you!

Latest posts

Back