Snowcap or Few-Spot?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
I know this is probably splitting hairs between the differences but just curious what everyone thinks..

This is our yearling colt, sire is a bay fewspot (sire is solid black appaloosa, dam is black roan appaloosa), dam is white fewspot, she is litterally solid white, with a hint of color on legs and chest (her sire is chestnut near leopard and dam is solid black appaloosa)..

This guy is definitely black, but not sure whether he is a snowcap or a few spot or heck both.. I know that there's no way to know for sure, but looking at him I'd say snowcap since he has more color than a typical fewspot, but looking at his breeding and the leopards in his background makes me think fewspot, and while finishing body clipping him today I found these hiding on his belly about the size of a nickel:

100_2260.jpg

I know a true snowcap won't have spots within their white area, so since he does have these two spots within his white (and he has a couple of tiny ones on his neck in the dark area) would that indicate he may actually be a fewspot?

100_2268.jpg

100_2271.jpg

100_2248.jpg

welp dear I would say this colt is a snowcap. Fewspots are more towards leopards which he isnt. Snowcaps can still have a couple of spots but just not excessive.

To be a true snowcap, wouldn't he need to have one leopard parent?

I think he is a false snowcap.

A beautiful snowcap! A few spot is a leopard pattern, with very few, if any spots. A snowcap is a blanket pattern, with no spots.

Melba

A beautiful snowcap! A few spot is a leopard pattern, with very few, if any spots. A snowcap is a blanket pattern, with no spots.
BUT his sire and dam are few spot LEOPARDS, with leopards in their lineage, and this colt DOES have spots in his blanket..

To be a true snowcap, wouldn't he need to have one leopard parent?
To be a true snowcap he has to have appy to appy breeding which he does.. And technically, both his parents are 'leopard', they're just few spots which is a leopard pattern..

I would call him a snowcap. The difference between a snowcap and a fewspot is only in the size of it's blanket or the amount of white expression. IMHO

Snowcaps can have spots in the lower areas of their blankets, but you don't want to see spots up over the hips/croup area. He is a snowcap.

Fewspot is a misleading name, yes sometimes they do have "a few spots" as in a couple of spots but not always.

Thanks, doesn't really matter since he's appaloosa X appaloosa through in through so will produce us color if he remains a stallion.. Forgot to mention in the original post that his two full siblings are both fillies, one a black leopard and the other a black near leopard..

I would call him a near fewspot, since a near leopard would show that much white. I consider if the white goes beyond the front shoulders they are capable of producing fewspots or leopards. Hew has more than just a white blanket.

Nice looking boy! Congrats.

I would call him a near fewspot, since a near leopard would show that much white. I consider if the white goes beyond the front shoulders they are capable of producing fewspots or leopards. Hew has more than just a white blanket.Nice looking boy! Congrats.
Thanks! and that does make sense..
default_yes.gif

Definitely snowcap...he's not fewspot sorry. He'd be pure white or at least almost pure white if he was a few spot. I think you might find that he may roan out a bit in the next few years and look few cap. So he's NOT few spot. I'm going to rule that out for you right now. But he's snowcap for sure and just may turn out to be fewcap.

Also--few spots do NOT have to have leopard parents. They do however have to have a leopard within 3 generations. And leopard to leopard doesn't automatically give you leopard. You can get a snowcap by breeding a leopard to a leopard.

I will attach a couple of pics that may help in the color question here..

Here are a couple of pics of snowcaps....

eagles-tardy-tributesnowcap.jpg

snowcap1.jpg

And here are a couple of true fewspots -

Goldbydesignfewspot.jpg

JRsShadofewspot.jpg

Latest posts

Back