Snow and Ice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mima Acres

Reaction score
We're not used to all this snow and ice around here! We got about 20 inches of snow followed by freezing rain. Almost 300,000 without power in the Puget Sound area. My 3 horses are locked in the barn, thankfully we have a small creek to get water for them. Next comes warmer temps along with 30-40 mph wind and rain. It's not looking like we'll have power back quite yet...so glad to have a generator, it's going to be a long cold weekend! I hope everyone else is staying safe and warm during this nasty winter weather in the usually mild Northwest.

Our 9 'kids' have been in the barn for, this is the 3rd day now.

They are handling it well and I think enjoying the free lunch program

delivered to their rooms, several times a day.

It feels like they understand what is happening outside and aren't acting

like they'd like to venture from their rooms. I think the sound of cracking

trees and an occasional chunk of snow slipping off the roof has convinced

them that they are in the best place.

We're on well water and it's been plugged into the heater, for the just

in cases, since mid December. Then Michael re insulated the pipes coming

into the barn this fall so water isn't an issue.

We've also underground wiring and are amongst the lucky that still have

power so while my heart breaks for all our beautiful trees that snapped

off from the ice, we've come thru comparatively unscathed compared to many others.

We are counting our blessings and keeping everyone in our good thoughts while

power gets restored and debris is cleared from the roads so people can start

getting out to re-supply, again.

The next issue will be the flooding and the massive clean-up from the heavily

treed Western Washington.

Sitting here dreaming of spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
We lose electric here on the east coast all the time during a storm. What we do is fill all tubs and buckets with water so if the electric goes out we can dip or pour. We also have a generator that we rarely need to use. We stock up on food that we can heat on our wood stove or eat cold, and use coleman lamps to read or play games. Sometimes the electric is off here for three to ten days, but this year hasn't been bad for us, but I feel for you guys. Horses seem to take it in stride as long as they are fed and watered, it's the people that suffer.

Thankfully the ice is gone but the damage it caused with falling trees and branches is pretty bad. So as far as where I live no power until Tuesday or Wednesday, so thats 7-8 days with no power. Good news is it doesn't look like we'll have too much flooding, so that's good. So glad to have a generator!

Latest posts

Back