snotty nose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
My gelding has a snotty nose, it is a cream to clear color. Otherwise he is acting totally fine, eating, temp normal, no cough, no sneeze. He has not been around any other horses and is up to date on shots/worming. He does have some watery eyes too which has been going on for a couple weeks, the vet thought the watery eyes were allergies. Other gelding is fine.

I know there was a thread about snotty noses recently but it was regarding a 2 week old foal. Do you think I should have the vet out pronto or give it a day or two?

Thanks.

Mine are getting the snots too, but I think it's due to weather changes. Seems to occur every year around this time but it may be allergy or mold related.

If it's clear liquid I don't get nervous and tend to watch it. But if it develops into any type of thick goo, then I will panic and want a round of antibiotics or something. I'd keep an eye on it. Could very well be the weather changing. If you do get some serious eye tearring that just won't quit, then that could possibly be a blocked tear duct, but at this point, that would be reaching.

I don't usually worry too much unless it's opaque... and it's even worse if it's colored (like green or yellow...)

I did have a draft horse that had persistant white snot... it turned out to be a sinus infection that was easily cleared up with SMZs (antibiotics).

Andrea

We generally let it run its course and don't use antibiotics unless there are signs of pneumonia, or it's a very long term infection

Latest posts

Back