Snotty Nose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Guerin

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

While I am waiting for the vet to call me, I thought I would ask here!

My just one month old colt, Sport, has a very snotty nose this morning. I took his temp, and it was with in the range.

Any thoughts?

While I am asking, my other colt, Eddy, born on 21 Jun, has the runs, for two days now. Seems that I recall this being some what ' normal '??

Thanks!! Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Fourth!!

Jim Guerin

Yelm, WA

To answer your second question on the loose bowels it's more then likely a result of his dam going into foal heat. You said he was foaled June 21st so that would be about right timing. As long as he's alert and nursing well I'd just keep an eye on him and not worry to much. You might want to clean his bottom to keep the flies away until it clears up.

The first foal sounds as if he caught a cold and if have no experience with this I'd have a vet check him and tell you what to do.

Good luck and let us know the outcome. Joyce

Thanks Joyce!

The vet did call me back, and ask if I had any SMZ pills, ( dont know what those are ) I dont. She suggested she could come out today, emeergency call, or I could wait till tomorrow and go in and get the pills. I opted to get the pills tomorrow... I just got back from the barn, checking on Sport. He had been nursing, doesnt have his usuall spunk, as in wanting to chew my hand or arm off like before. And, the milk runs out his nose. I am now waiting for another call back from the vet, and will have her out to see him. ( Vet just called, she will be here in about an hour. )

Yes, that is what I thought was wrong with Eddy, foal heat runs, and that is what the vet said. He still nurses fine, I was going to wash him off, but he didnt want to even come to me this am, but did a few minutes ago. So I will go back out and wash is butt for him:)

I will let you know what vet says.

Jim Guerin

Yelm, WA

Hi Jim

SMZ and sulfa are the same thing. It is an antibiotic that covers a very wide range of things and is found in most horse med cabinets. I like to keep it on hand, but... as in humans, antibiotics if over used can become inactive towards certain bacteria so that being said, unless his nasal discharge is yellow thick or green, or he is coughing or wheezing, or has a temp, I would try to let it run its course. You are wise to have the vet out. If the vet suggests antibiotics than by all means do it. Let us know what he says. With a stuffy nose he may just not be able to keep up with the mares milk coming out and it is spraying him in the nose and then running back out.

I'm glad the Vet is oming out. The milk running out his nose could be a problem with a cleft pallet. Hopefully it's just a stuffed noce. Let us know what the Vet says please.

Ginny StP

Vet was here a short while ago. She said Sport could have pneumonia, he could have aspirated milk into his lungs.

She gave him a shot of Banimine, along with penicillin, and Gentocin. And left four shots of Gentocin, one a day, and a huge! ( thats the smallest bottle she had ) of penicillin, so I can give him one and a half cc twice a day. Never had the nerve to give shots before, so now I get to!
smile.gif

She said if he isnt better in a couple days, he might have to spend a few days at the hospital, and have a catheter installed. Or put one in and I could give him the fluids here.

She did check for a cleft pallet, and that was ok.

Thanks everyone for the support and SMZ info!! Still larnin this here horsey stuff!!

Jim Guerin

Yelm, WA

jim

im so glad the vet came. I was going to question if it could be pnemonia. I had a couple friends go thru this last summer. Right now is the biggest time for pnemonia due to heat and bacteria and flys. Catching it early is the big key. Good luck!!!

Jim, sorry to hear you have to give shots. I have had to do that before with one I bought that had pneumonia and a million other things
sad.gif
Anyway. Just wanted to let you know that I have had better luck with the peniciilin when it is warm. I do not leave the whole bottle out, instead, I will draw it up into the syringe and leave it on the counter for a bit until it is room temperature. Vet said that was fine and that it would probably be easier that way and it was. Penicillin tends to be thick and it goes through the syringe easier when at room temperature. Also, I'm sure the vet already told you. But it is always a good idea to have a dose of epinephrine on hand. It is cheap (only a couple bucks) and on the rare event you get Penicillin in a vessel it will counteract the reaction they have. Don't want to make it scary, but since you said you hadn't done this before, just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

js1arab said:
...that it would probably be easier that way and it was. Penicillin tends to be thick and it goes through the syringe easier when at room temperature. Also, I'm sure the vet already told you. But it is always a good idea to have a dose of epinephrine on hand. It is cheap (only a couple bucks) and on the rare event you get Penicillin in a vessel it will counteract the reaction they have. Don't want to make it scary, but since you said you hadn't done this before, just wanted to give you a heads up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
417079[/snapback]

She did say it would be thick, and that it could warm up a bit, but not just how much. She did also say that it seperates, so not to leave the bottle out. I have it out near the barn in a refer now, so I will draw a couple syringes and bring them into the house refer, so I can set them out before I head out to feed.
smile.gif

No mention that it would be nice if I had some epi around. Would seuphafed, or how ever it is spelled, work?? Where would I get the epi?

Also, I didnt think to mention that she snot from Sports nose is clear, unless it is white from the milk
smile.gif
I moved him and his mom up to the foaling stall, so I could have him on camera. Moved Rosy and her baby to the other barn. I havent posted pics of Rosy and Eddy yet. Note to self, better do that
smile.gif

I think Sport is feeling better already. He seems to be out and a bout a bit more. I cant stand it when one of my kids are sick.

Thanks!

Jim Guerin

Yelm, WA

I am glad the vet was out. It is always nice to get started on whatever needs to be done as soon as possible.

Like was said, this is the worst time of year for pneumonia. The heat is really very hard on the foals. I just clipped the fuzz off of mine today and then gave her and Mom a nice lukewarm bath, they really seemed to enjoy it, it was really hot here today.

I guess you get to learn to give shots! It is hard for me to poke the babies, they have such small butts. Did he show you to give them in the butt or the neck? I personally prefer the butt.

The fact that he already feels better is a good sign that he will respond well to the antibiotic. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Are you going to be Spanaway this weekend at all? Would love to meet you in person.

hhpminis said:
  Did he show you to give them in the butt or the neck?  I personally prefer the butt.The fact that he already feels better is a good sign that he will respond well to the antibiotic.  Hang in there and keep us posted.

Are you going to be Spanaway this weekend at all?  Would love to meet you in person.

417256[/snapback]

Hi Annette,

Terry, the vet, showed me both the neck and butt areas for shots. She said to not give the shot in the same spot.

Dont know if I will make it to Spanaway for sure or not. I did meet you once, along with Crabby Chicken, Sam from New Port, Rob, and Jana from out on the coast, could have been a few others too
smile.gif
It was when there was a show at The Trails in Tumwater, across from the Oly Airport. Was that two years ago? They were about four hours behind, and Rob didnt get to do his Flamingo thing, and appeared upset.
smile.gif

I moved Crystal and Sport back to the foaling stall, and they are back on the camera. I was out there a while ago, and Sport was acting much better, could be the bute he is on. He was laying down and got up and came to me and nawed on my fingers for a bit.
smile.gif

Macho was very happy Rosy is back near him. She is in heat. Eddys butt is still clean after I gave it a quick wash. Moving targets are always fun. I dont know who was wetter / dirtier after!!

Jim Guerin

Yelm, WA

Hi Jim

You are right, it was at the Trails last year and yes the show was running quite behind. Sorry for not remembering.

Glad your boy is doing better today. Might I make a suggestion though. Be very careful with Bute and the minis. I have one I give it to occasionally who is old and has foundered but on my minis I really prefer Banamine. Bute can be very toxic if given too much and is really hard on the tummy. If he does not appear in pain dont give it. Next time you talk to your vet, ask for banamine instead and proper doseage for your minis. On a foal that age I would guess 1/2cc would be appropriate but please discuss this with your vet.

hhpminis said:
Hi JimYou are right, it was at the Trails last year and yes the show was running quite behind.  Sorry for not remembering.

Glad your boy is doing better today.  Might I make a suggestion though.  Be very careful with Bute and the minis.  I have one I give it to occasionally who is old and has foundered but on my minis I really prefer Banamine.  Bute can be very toxic if given too much and is really hard on the tummy.  If he does not appear in pain dont give it.  Next time you talk to your vet, ask for banamine instead and proper doseage for your minis.  On a foal that age I would guess 1/2cc would be appropriate but please discuss this with your vet.

417599[/snapback]

Annette, no appology necessary!!
smile.gif
Didnt expect any one to remember me. Mom and I were there just to see all the very nice horsies:) About the only showing I do is my belly, thankfully that isnt all that big!!

The Bute was a one time thing. I gave my VERY FIRST SHOTS this morning!! After some hessitation on my part, I got Sport cornered and he got the antibiotic shot. I was just about to give the penicillin shot, and he got away from me, so I fed Crystal and a couple donk girls, and went back in for try two. Sport came to me, so I scratched on him, then kinda straddled him, not realy holding him, and gave the second shot. He barely flinched!!

Sport is doing great today. Back to chewing on me, comes when I call him too. Doing ' drive by ' kicks at me. Last night, even the runny nose was stopped. So, have no idea if he has pneumonia or what it is. Just very glad he is feeling better!

Jim Guerin

Yelm, WA

Latest posts

Back