Snickas is shedding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hi

Just wanted to know if its normal for my mare Snickas to be shedding. We are coming into winter soon and she had started growing her winter coat, then she foaled (April) and is loosing it all again. Like its falling out, If I run my hands down her back I have a handful of furr and of a morning she has loose furr all over her from when she rolls and all. Its getting pretty chilly here the other night it was 2 decrees C, and I just wanted to know what you think, will she grow it back? I have rugs for her if necessary. None of my horses have shredded this much right before winter hits

This was in one afternoon, and I could have kept brushing.

2yzd7o2.jpg

Thanks in advance.

No, she shouldn't be shedding her winter coat before winter. I don't know if have the foal would affect it, but more experienced people here may be more help.

I would be inclined to have her checked out by a vet.

While seasonal shedding is normal; winter coat sheds in spring leaving behind their short summer coat, and summer coat sheds in fall as the winter coat comes in; if she is shedding her new winter hair something is up.

Alright. If I were to get a vet out what could they do for her?

I have noticed that she is mainly shedding it around her back and rump area, her neck doesn't shed that much. I have a photo of her from this morning. She is still furry, but compared to the others she is a lot less furry.

Please excuse the dirtiness, we just had rain.

2rxboya.jpg

I don't know what would be causing that kind of shedding before winter. 2*c is COLD! If we had short coated horses that were being kept that way, they started wearing a sheet at 60*f, a blanket at 40*f and layers of blankets as the temps dropped from there (2*c = 35.6*f)... In the spring, they were unlayered in the same way, LOL.

I agree, a call to the vet is in order. Since we don't know what could be causing this - I have no idea what the vet will say or do. It could be hormonal changes that are affecting her - but that requires some tests to know. We know a lot more now than we did years ago, but there is always more to know.

How old is Texas now? I can't remember... Is Texas weaned yet? Is Snickas back in foal(bred) for next year?

That could be a regular shed for your mare. I DID own one old timey type shetland mare that shed almost like that. But her "fur" wasn't that long in the fall before going into winter. She didn't get the really "long fur" until the much colder months at the heart of winter. So what she shed was shorter and denser, not "fluffy" like what is in your picture.

To avoid a vet bill, you could check with other horse owners - to see what their horses/ponies are doing as far as shedding. Preferably you find another mini owner to check with.

All good replies here and well worth looking into. There are many things that could cause this and a call to the Vet is always encouraged. Even though it's not normal for her to be shedding now, It is normal for shedding to be patchy, a lot of horses begin shedding on their necks and flanks so I wouldn't worry about that part. I'm wondering is she stabled or does she live out in a corral? How about any artificial lighting? Keep in mind cold / warm temperature doesn't trigger growth or shedding... it's the daylight that increases and wanes that causes it. Any artificial lighting will cause this shedding.

I notice your loose hair safely in a bucket YAY!!! PLEASE keep that up! Keep all the shed hair out of the pen and away from the foal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies.

Texas is about 1 and a half months old now and she isn't weaned. Also Snickas is not bred. Ill try see what others horses are doing.

We dont really have stables, just an undercover area where we can lock them up if its storming or anything. She was only locked up when Texas was about a week old and we got a big storm. Artificial lighting? No I dont think so.

Our weather here has been very odd as well. Some days its freezing then some days its really hot. Today its cold and very windy and the other day it was pretty hot.

All my others are fine and not shedding

I looked back at her foaling journal archive at some photos when she was starting to shed her winter coat in August of last year. Comparing them with this photo now she seems right on track and now looks to have a normal for her going into winter coat.

Since she's shedding the most on her back and rump which are areas she can't reach, and a place a horse generally has to roll to get hair off of, I'd tend to say it's normal; however, I've always admired your photos and the fact that the horses always look so well groomed... what I'm getting at is I understand that you know your horses so with this being out of the ordinary it's naturally a concern to you.

I don't think it's anything to be overly worried about but I would run it by my Vet, it very well could be estrus related and he/she could have a answer for you.

It could just be a normal correction on her part, my minis when they put on a winter coat they then go through a period of blowing off part of it. I've had many I can get this much hair off of at any given time over the winter BUT I admit I don't groom them on a regular basis.

The weather could well be one of the reasons she has begun to shed. Even though Im much further down south that you Carly, we have also had a rather warm Autumn compared to the temperatures we would normally get here. As it hasnt been consistent to what it normally was ,My bigger horses had been shedding also. Its freezing here now and my horses are now all sporting their winter coats.

Keep us posted on how she is going , But I agree with everyone in saying that if she continues to shed her winter coat then a call to you vet would be in order
default_smile.png

Thanks Debby and Ryan
default_smile.png

I'll keep an eye on her still. The weather last night was FREEZING! All the water troughs were frozen and I went and broke all the ice at 6am, also the dog's water bowls were frozen too. I'll probably call a vet anyway just to get some advice for now.

This is what I am normally used to seeing Snickas look like in terms of fluff. This was last winter I think.
default_smile.png

1zixxh.jpg

She is so pretty!! Something else you may want to consider is your mares feed, it could be contributing to the hair loss. Snickas will experience protein and vitamin loss since what she eats will be going to her growing foal, as the foal grows you will need to adjust Snickas feed to keep her in condition. You could up her protein and maybe give her a probiotic which may help her better adsorb the nutrients she needs.

Thanks!

Oh okay, maybe if I put her back on her mare and foal mix, would that help, if not is there any suggestions??

Just to say, she has slowed HEAPS with her shedding, now I am just hoping she is going to grow it all back.
default_smile.png

If she is still nursing her filly, she should still be on the grain. The baby benefit from the grain also. Snicka should stay on the grain until you wean the baby, then just give it to the baby.

Yes I agree with Magic Marker, Both should still be on the mare and foal feed until Texas has been weaned. Are you getting good weather still ?
default_smile.png

Alright, thank you
default_smile.png

The weather has been pretty cold lately, although not freezing like the other night when it was -1! The horses troughs were frozen, so glad the horses were rugged lol. But this weekend we are expecting rain, then its supposed to get really cold again. Hows your weather?

Our summer is just getting here 96 here today with high humidity. We've been pretty lucky this year it has not been unbearably hot...yet. I think next week we'll be a little cooler. I wish we could skip Summer and go straight to Fall.

Oh Im happy for you to send some summer down to me Debby
default_smile.png

We have had some sunny days but the nights are freezing and foggy. -2 the other night , but the troughs didn't freeze over. Rain is expected here too over the weekend.

Our summer is just getting here 96 here today with high humidity. We've been pretty lucky this year it has not been unbearably hot...yet. I think next week we'll be a little cooler. I wish we could skip Summer and go straight to Fall.
Don't rush it. Fall and winter come soon enough. But, then we haven't really hit normal spring weather yet. Low as 40,got up to 75 or 80 today.

-2 sorry I couldn't stand weather that cold! I'm a cold weather lover...ended up in Ga. go figure lol but that kind of cold, no sorry! I'm happy to share the heat but NO trades LOL. Arizona heat I'm told is not like the humid heat we have here so I might could stand that...if it didn't last long. July and August here is almost unbearable, to me in south Ga. it was unbearable so middle Ga. is a little better. Fall and Winter here I love, our coldest part of Winter is Feb.

Latest posts

Back