SMZ's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefall

Reaction score
I had a yearling arrive with the dreaded snotty nose, it was only on one side and it hasn't been passed on to any one else. Vet had me give her the SMZ's, but after almost 10 days its still there a tiny bit. Is it ok to use it a few more days to make sure its gone?

Would like your experiences using these pills.

Thanks in advance.

Have you been using them 2x a day? I know they need to be used 2x a day, vs. only once a day. I have used it in the past on horses w/ a cough, and one I did use it for longer than 10 days (14 days, I think) since he kept the cough longer. However, I'm not a vet and don't know if it's usually "okay" to use the SMZ for as long as I did on the pony.

Just speaking from our own experience (I'm not a vet), we had a little filly who developed pneumonia upon weaning. Upon vet's recommendation, we gave her SMZ 2x a day for 15 days. No harm to her. I would too say at least 2x a day. 1 pill per 100 pounds.

Sometimes, when just one nostril is affected, it can be a sinus thing that's not contagious. Good luck with her.

SMZ's have been perscribed for several months for cases of Placentitis
default_smile.png
Just consult your vet, but it should be fine
default_smile.png

[SIZE=14pt]I know of a big mare that was on it for several months due to infection in her foot. She has no ill effects from it....[/SIZE]

April

[SIZE=14pt]WE had a colt once that didnt clear up because he had a gutteral pouch infection and kept reinfecting himself 21 days of SMZ twice a day WITH 1 tsp of powdered iodine was what it took for it to finally go way.[/SIZE]

Lyn

My experience is this:

If in 10 days your horse is not better or "well", I would recommend another type of antibiotic. I personally do not like SMZ's for much, they do not seem to work well. I believe the recommended dose is 1 per 80 lbs.

This is my opinion only!

Latest posts

Back