Smokey Black Color Changes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Smokey Blacks just crack me up with all their different colors and how they change so I want to see the differences.

Here are my 2 that have been DNA tested as smokey black.

My stallion, Frichnick's Black Cloud..........

As a Baby

29150BlackCloud1.jpg

With His Mom

2915099.jpg

As a 2 year old

29150BlackCld2Jun01.jpg

Summer coat as a 4 year old

29150bcawesomepicapril.JPG

Early winter coat as a 5 year old

60689rightjuly.JPG

And his lacing on his back. He does still have this lacing this year as a 6 year old and it's a deep golden color, I just haven't gotten any good pics of it this year. This picture was last year. He also has deep golden eyes.

29150bcgiraffe2003june.JPG

And my other smokey black, the above stallion's yearling daughter, MF Charmed C Me Shimmer

As a baby

291503daysshimeyes.JPG

60841shimmertalk.JPG

As a weanling

60841leftclip.JPG

And now as a yearling, her eyes have changed to a smokey blue/green.

29150J17rightshim.JPG

29150J17leftshimbest.JPG

I also have a smokey black gelding but I don't have any baby pictures of him and he doesn't seem to change colors like the other 2 do.

Ok your turn, let's see yours
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! that lacing pattern is awsome! I've never seen any but white ones. that's very distinctive.

thank you for posting all of the good pictures of those color changes. I have a black colt out of a palomino dam that I am thinking may be smoky........he has gray eyes. guess I need to test him. and for Tobi too. He has a little roan spot and a tobi sire.

th_dinahboyclip3small.jpg

What do you think? should I test him? I haven't had another black foal with gray eyes.

Charlotte

edit: hmmm, that picture doesn't show his color well........brownish body, but could be sun bleached?

WOW......he looks like a completely different horse in every picture! And that lacing is incredible!
aktion033.gif

Little Shimmer certainly has grown into a lovely little filly!
wub.gif

Charlotte-- I can't see the color very well in that picture, I will go see if you have any more pics of him on your website. What color of hair are the inside of his ears??? That usually helps, all 3 of my smokey blacks have cream ear hair.

Dona-- Thank you for the compliments on both of them!!!
yes.gif

Shimmer is just a doll, but she's one of those horses that every time I see her I go "WOW", and so does everyone else, she is gorgeous and is put together just wonderfully!............The kicker is that she is just terribly unphotogenic. I just can't capture her beauty with the camera, I think it's genetic, her sire is the same way
unsure.gif

Latest posts

Back