Slow Feeding Hay Options

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrockmommy

Reaction score
Ok, still in my research phase for preparing for a couple minis next year!

(found a really cool mini manure spreader we can pull with our lawn tractor! Ok, but that's an aside for later)

I'm looking at slow feed options. Looking at PortaGrazer and nets from the Hay Chix.

Both options look doable, just need to make a decision at some point.

SO, for 2 minis, should I get a few smaller hay nets and hang them around the paddock so they'll walk around? OR, should I get a bale feeder net and set the bale out for unlimited hay? I've read about drawbacks... teeth getting entangled in the nets or feet (shod horses)

Or what about the portagrazer? It is quite expensive up front, but I like that the plastic insert doesn't damage teeth, and they eat in a head down position without twisting their necks to get hay out of nets.

Should I do "measured" feeding, or have unlimited in slow feed and they'll adjust? I would muchly prefer once a day feeding to fit our schedule, but trying to make it so they have food available all day.

How do you feed your hay?

I have a bag from hay chix. I like it because I can put it in the trailer, take it from one area to another, and hang it on the fence so horses can eat from both sides of the fence. It doesn't hold a lot, but that suits me as it is not under shelter and I only put a flake or two in it. I've had it for 4-5 years and it is still working great. It helps to look at their youtube video on how to use it.

My horses like it, too. I have fewer eye irritations as they don't put their heads down into a pile of hay.

I think they also make one that bolts to a building and would be easier to use,, but it wouldn't work for my setup.

I have three slow feeders from freedom feeders 1" spacing. They have worked great all winter and still in great shape. Thinking they will survive at least two seasons.

image.jpeg

Thanks! I also found the Hay Pillow, which gets them to eat in a head down position.
default_smile.png

Such fun things to shop for!

I have heard mixed reviews on the hay pillow. I looked at it too. Doesn't work great in areas where it snows. I have heard horse get frustrated with it as gravity is not helping them. Also they may consume a lot of dirt or sand depending on your ground structure.

I really like the Nibble Nets. They come in a bunch of different styles and sizes. They are very well made and durable, fairly easy to load, and really reduce hay waste. As a side note, my horse actually prefers eating from them as opposed to just a pile of hay, which you think would be easier to eat. I think he's come to like the way he must grab at the hay and pull it out, which is more like actual grazing.

I have the Hay Pillow and HATE it with a passion. I will use it if I HAVE to, but I HATE it. It's difficult to fill, the stupid zipper gets caught up in the hay and if it rains or snows the zipper is completely useless. Mostly it just sits in my shed.

I have the Hay Chix nets for the bale of hay and I LOVE them! I put a bale out and it will last 4-6 days depending if there is one or two minis on that bale at one time. They move around on their own looking for other things to eat in the dry lot and sometimes I will put out hay pellets to satisfy that "seeking" need they have. The mini that has been on a slow feeder for the last 3 years is looking awesome. I brought home two other minis, a nursing mama and her yearling foal (I know, he is in the process of weaning...) and they have adjusted to the slow feed nets wonderfully. The mare needed to put on a little weight and she is evening out beautifully. The colt has grown a lot since I brought him home and loves the net.

I prefer the bale nets as the horses can graze out of them in the head down position. I don't like to hang my nets and have them twisting their necks to eat. That's also why I got the Hay Pillow. Just wish it was easier to load and the zipper was not a zipper...

Chamomile when you say you put out hay pellets, how do you do it? Do you sprinkle them on the ground? Are talking the small pellets, almost rabbit pellet size?

Yes I sprinkle them on the ground and encourage them to seek. I do not sprinkle them where there is sand... The pellets are the little ones. A long time ago when we had ponies we had one choke on the big pellets and I've never fed those to either my big horses or my minis...

Yes I sprinkle them on the ground and encourage them to seek. I do not sprinkle them where there is sand... The pellets are the little ones. A long time ago when we had ponies we had one choke on the big pellets and I've never fed those to either my big horses or my minis...

Latest posts

Back