Slow Cooker Recipes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is one of my favorites.

1 32 oz jar sauerkraut (rinsed and drained)

1 cup Thousand Island (or Russian Salad Dressing)

1 1/2 lb. skinless chicken breasts

1 1/2 tsp prepared mustard

6 slices rye bread (toasted)

1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese

Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Place half (about 2 cups) of sauerkraut in bottom of slow cooker. Drizzle 1/3 cup of salad dressing over sauerkraut. Place 3 chicken breasts on top, spread mustard over chicken. Top with remaining sauerkraut and chicken breasts. Drizzle another 1/3 cup salad dressing over chicken. Refrigerate remaining salad dressing until ready to serve. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Just before serving toast bread. Place a bread slice on each plate. Top with chicken breast and sauerkraut and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese (1/4 - 1/2 cup) and 1 tbsp of dressing.

I have substituted corned beef instead of the chicken and it is also a great winter meal.

Someone emailed me this recipe but it may be on the internet somewhere. It is not my recipe.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Makes a great New Year's Day meal.

Lois

yum yum...I can't get enough fresh cilantro. It is my secret ingredient in my chicken salad. Yikes! It is not a secret anymore. Here's another secret about cilantro...wet it before you chop it for recipes. The dampness makes the flavor pop! My hubby says I make the best chicken salad on the planet.
default_eat.gif

Recipe please?

Last night I put in Sonyas "breakfeast" recipe and it was AWSOME this morning! I have a super picky guy here and I could see him eyeballing me when I was putting it together! LOL! I don't do onion or green peppers so I left them out and just made buttered toast with it. Super easy and great tasting!!! One for the books for sure!! It does make ALOT so I think it would be great for a large get together morning, like a holiday or I think it would be perfect for a camping morning with friends!

Thanks Sonya!!!

So many great recipes on here that I want to try!!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Lois...definately going to try that one..the hubby loves sauerkrauet. Leia, glad you guys liked it...you are right, it is perfect for when you have company over, or a holiday morning. Remember you can half it too...I think that's what I'm going to do next time. We put alittle sour cream and hot sauce on it...yummy.

Wow there are a LOT of really good sounding recipes here! I'm going to try some. I had been adding some recipes to my blog here so I put a few of my slow cooker ones on it you can view them here..look over on the side under categories.

These are awesome! My current dilemna - I bought a slow cooker (Hamilton Beach - I won't be shy about naming them!) and unfortunatley did not keep the receipt. When I put it together, the knob to turn it on was missing. Called/emailed Hamilton Beach and they are refusing to send me a new knob! They're saying it's not a replacment part! They told me to cut the cord and take a picture of it and email it to them, call them with a credit card # and they'll bil me for a new slow cooker. Pretty horrifying customer service! Anyway, I'm going to go to the hardware store and get a knob- can't be that hard to find one! LOL - lesson learned - don't buy Hamilton Beach products anymore! So once I have my knob I can start cooking all these yummy recipes!!!

Liz, Although you don't have the receipt, you might still ask the store where you bought it. If they're big on customer service, they may help you out.

Another thought is to check Goodwill and second hand stores for a \similar model with the same knob.

Recipe please?
Bonnie, unfortunately it is one of those recipes that get cooked without measuring and with whatever I have. I use either canned chicken or boil chicken and chop it. It gets lots of chopped stuff...apples, celery, onion, toasted pecans. Some mayo, or miracle whip, or salad dressing. Pickle relish if I have any. Lots of black pepper. A spoonful of dijon mustard, a tablespoon of plain yogurt if I have it, and then I grab a sprinkle of oregano, poppy seed, dill. You get the picture? If I have some dried cranberries maybe a bit or even golden raisins. Always mystery ingredients but always good.

Two of my favorites - Pot Roast

Put in crockpot

2-3 lb beef or pork roast

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can (12 oz) coke or diet coke

1 package onion soup mix

Cook on low 8-10 hours (10-12 if roast is frozen when you put it in)

Can also throw in some potatoes

Use cornstarch to thicken the juices for gravy. Yummy!

And another - French Dip sandwiches (this is the best sandwich ever)

3 lbs roast

2 cans beef consomme or broth (consomme gives a richer flavor)

2 cans french onion soup (canned soup)

1 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (not the Italian dressing mix, the italian seasoning that's in the spice aisle)

Let cook on low 8-10 hours until beef pulls apart easily

Put meat on hoagie buns (with provolone cheese is incredible), spoon some juice into bowls to use for "dipping".

Made this at Nationals and folks LOVED it!

Yum, that French dip sandwich is going on my menu for next week, thank you!

I really don't know the name of this but it is really good, I have made it once

1 box uncle bens quick cook wild rice-make per directions - I used plain minute rice

in crock pot put the rice, and below items

Add ½ or more to taste the big Velveeta-I usually cube it up & add to hot rice to melt it quicker

4-5 cans cream potato soup

8 cups milk

Chicken breast pieces torn into bite sized chunks-3 breasts - I used the precooked chicken that comes in strips

Top with crumbled bacon for additional calories & yumminess

Wow this is a great thread! I have so many recipes I want to try!!!

One more and I'll stop posting...as you can tell I use my crockpot alot, especially in the winter, I have 4 crocks all different sizes and it's not unusual for me to have two going at once (one for a soup, and one for a main course)...tip: buy the liners, makes clean up a breeze!

This recipe I actually got from here a couple years ago...it's so simple you would think it would be mediocre, but it's the best Broccoli Cheese Soup ever! I double it and freeze the leftovers for our lunches.

Broccoli cheese soup:

8 oz jar of cheez whiz

1 can of cream of celery soup (10 3/4 oz)

Bag of frozen broccoli (16 oz)

2 cups half and half

Mix up in crock, cook on low for at least 4 hours (I always do alot longer) I add pepper but do NOT add salt, the celery soup has enough.
I'm trying this for supper tonight. We were in town yesterday, so picked up the ingredients and giving it a try. Even Hubby said he'd try it, and he's not much for brocolli, but does like cream soups. I may have started it a bit earlier than necessary, but its in the crock and cooking, so we can eat whenever I'm done with evening chores and he's done in the shop.

Hope you like it Chandab...the longer it cooks the better it is I think! I've had it cooking as long as 10 hours.

Its been in about 4.5 hours, now, I have about an hour of horse chores to go do shortly, and then, shortly after I come in, we'll probably eat. [He can never wait long for supper, especially this time of year when it gets dark so early.]

What's in the POT for H and I today?
default_biggrin.png

It's not something that requires slow cooking, but I bet that many of us also like those crockpots for the fact that it's ready when we get home from work
default_eat.gif

In our pot today is some jarred white alredo sauce, some (pre-cooked) sweet apple chicken sausage that I cubed up) and frozen spinach --- EASY but really good. This time, I add some frozen onions, peppers and "home" seasoning which includes garlic powder, pepper, and splenda (but don't tell H about he spenda)
default_biggrin.png

Serving it today and tomorrow over linguine (or whatever pasta you prefer) and some garlic-cheese bread and with tossed butter lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad. YUM YUM YUM
default_eat.gif

I'm doing my best to hold out lunch and wait for dinner
default_smile.png

Have macaroni and cheese in the pot for supper tonite. Mmmmmm is beginning to smell good. May have an early meal.

Latest posts

Back