Slow Cooker Recipes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you like that link, Susanne! I like to eat healthy and light/low calorie - Cooking Light and Mrs. Dash's both have wonderful recipes! So I finally got my knob issue resolved - I'm thinking a tri-tip something...

Liz N.

These all sound so good!!! This is great "Crock Pot Weather" now that it's gotten cooler.

I'm going to make turkey chilli in ours tomorrow
default_eat.gif

Two of my favorites - Pot Roast

Put in crockpot

2-3 lb beef or pork roast

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can (12 oz) coke or diet coke

1 package onion soup mix

Cook on low 8-10 hours (10-12 if roast is frozen when you put it in)

Can also throw in some potatoes

Use cornstarch to thicken the juices for gravy. Yummy!
^ That's what's for dinner here tonight
default_yes.gif

I have made that pot roast twice now and it has turned out great both times. I did cook mine on high for 12 hours though!
default_whistling.gif
I ment to turn it down but forgot about it and it was just perfect!

We loved the roast!!!

I got up early this morning to put a MEATLOAF in. It's based on a recipe from Cooks.com, but I changed it a little. We've liked it before.

Crock Pot Meatloaf:

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 pound ground turkey (we prefer "ground turkey" over "ground turkey breast")
  • 3 eggs (beaten)
  • 1 3/4 cup bread crumbs or oatmeal (your choice)
  • 1 tbsp of Worcestersire sauce
  • 1 package dry onion soup mix
  • 1 cup BBQ sauce
  • 1 cup (plus) diced green pepers & onions (optional -- I use frozen)

Mix all the ingredients and just press it into the bottom of a large (oval) crock pot. Cook it on medium for about 8 hours, or on a higher temperature for fewer hours. Optional -- I make a topping for it using "to taste" bbq sauce or katsup, yellow mustard, worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard and brown sugar -- mix and heat in a sauce pan and put over top of it about and hour before it's time to eat, or less time if you're using a higher temperature on your crock pot.

I love my crockpot! If it weren't for the crockpot, most nights my family wouldn't be eating as we have so many things to keep up with. But coming home and just serving it without cooking when I'm tired is soooo good!

One of my new favorite "comfort food" recipes for the crockpot is Cheesy Chicken and Rice. I found it on Pinterest which is the best place for amazing new recipes!

Place chicken breast in bottom of crock pot (I just throw mine in frozen in the morning).

Dice onion and sprinkle on top of chicken.

Add one can cream of chicken soup.

Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours.

When you are ready to eat, add one box of Zatarain's Yellow Rice - cooked following instructions on box. (I usually cook it in the morning when I am putting the chicken in and then when I get home, I can just add it to the crock pot).

Add one cup of shredded cheddar cheese.

Add one can of corn.

Stir it all together and serve. It is a hearty, yummy, stick to your ribs dinner and is always a huge hit anywhere I take it.

I tried another one last week. I love Mexican food and found this recipe for Crockpot Chicken Fajitas. It was super easy and really good! My girls don't like "fajitas" they say, so before I shredded the chicken, I just scooped some out for them without the peppers and onions and they loved the flavor of just the chicken. They said it was their new favorite!

Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas

1 yellow onion, sliced

3 sweet peppers, sliced

1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast or thighs

1/4 to ½ cup chicken broth, depending on preference

½ teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons cumin

1 ½ tablespoons chili powder

Squirt of lime juice

Tortillas

Fajita fixings

Combine sliced onion and peppers in the bottom of a greased crockpot. Lay chicken on top of veggies. Pour chicken broth over top. Sprinkle everything with cumin, salt, and chili powder. Give a nice quirt of lime juice over the top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours (or on High for 4-6 hours). When meat is done, shred with two forks and stir back into juices. Serve meat mixture with slotted spoon on tortillas with your choice of fixings.

Barbara

I made a quick and easy French Onion Soup yesterday with ingredients I had..

4 small/medium yellow onions, sliced

2 cans French onion soup

Beef broth, low sodium

Black pepper

2-3 spoonfuls flour

Butter

Swiss cheese

Bread

Cook onions in butter until golden brown. Add another spoonful or two of butter, add flour and cook until flour is cooked. Throw soup and broth in crock pot. Add cooked onions. Black pepper to taste. Cook on low for 4-6 hrs. Ladle into individual oven safe bowls. Top with a crusty bread and Swiss cheese.. Broil until golden brown.

Boss Mare......YUMMMMMMM that sounds so good!!

Aw man I just back tracked and looked at a few that have been posted sense I read last and gosh they all sound great!! Yep now I need to eat!! LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The French Onion Soup is very good! I am a cheese fan so I broil four pieces on top!!

I don't really like the regular canned French Onion Soup, even though you can eat it as is - I decided to add my own touch and mixing it with the cooked onions and broth -- all the flavor was still there from the prepared soup, but not as salty and processed tasting.. and more texture and heartiness from adding the onions, flour and butter!

Enjoy!

That sounds really good!!!! So do the chicken fajitas!!!
default_new_multi.gif

Liz N.

Jill - we had a potluck yesterday at school and I used your mac and cheese recipe. It was a hit and was the first thing gone! Thanks for sharing!

I've got the broccoli cheese soup recipe on the menu for Saturday. I can't wait!

Barbara

I'm glad it was a hit!
default_yes.gif

I'm making a turkey breast for our "home" Thanksgiving on Friday. It is the kind that has the bones in it. I've never done this kind in the crock pot (or oven) before, only the boneless ones. I read some ideas online but thought I'd ask here if anyone has suggestions on Turkey Breast for the crock pot?

Ok, Since y'alls recipies sound sooo good, I'll add my 2 cents worth, especially since it's almost Thanksgiving.

For 2 people roasting a whole turkey is not worth the hassle, but I've found that if you do it in the crock pot it's easy and yummy!

We use a small turkey(10#or less) or one of those without the legs and wings.

Use a BIG crock pot 6 qts at least.

Just prep the turkey like you would when roasting it, (I brush with melted butter, dust with garlic powder and poultry spice) and throw it in the crockpot with a little water. It cooks in about 4-5 hours I think??!! Not too long anyway.

It will come out so tender and juicy!! All you have to do is pick out the bones after you get the breast meat off. The skin is not crisp and yummy like a roasted turkey, but in these health conscious times, who eats the skin anyway!
Yay! Thanks for the heads up on this one, Candy!!!

I have to work today so we did our Thanksgiving yesterday. I didn't do my turkey in the crockpot, it was too big, but I did do my mashed potatoes and green bean casserole in my crockpots and it definately made the dinner easier since it was all done when the turkey was and there was nothing to do.

Bump!

This weekend, I am going to make bean soup using a hambone from a spiral ham. I will post the details if it turns out good!!!!

Oh, that DOES sound good! Let us know how it turns out!

Okay... YUM YUM YUM!!!

The soup is still going, but I've sampled it, and it is really good. Plus, true to my nature, it is also VERY easy. Icing on the cake is I think it's pretty healthy... Basically:

Crock Pot Bean Soup

• 1 pound bag of dried beans (I used Northern White) -- soak them overnight per the instructions on the bag
  • 1 bag of frozen sliced carrots (thawed)
  • 1 bag of frozen diced onions (thawed)
  • 1.5 cups diced bell peppers
  • 1 32oz bottle of carrot juice (you will want to use about 75% of the bottle as to not overflow the crock pot)
  • 1 32oz box of chicken broth
  • 1 hambone
  • 1-2 cups of cubed ham
  • Seasoing: Celery Salt, Garlic Powder, Minced Dried Onions, Parsley and Sea Salt (to taste)

1. Soak the beans over night, according to directions on the bag
  2. Break the hambone in half
  3. Cube some ham meat
  4. Thaw the frozen veggies
  5. Put the hambone and ham in first
  6. Put the soaked, rinsed beans in
  7. Put in your thawed frozen veggies (I think they are actually "fresher" w/ more vitamins than fresh as they are frozen quickly... and they are already cut up)
  8. Add you seasoning
  9. Put in (most of) a bottle of carrot juice (makes it a little sweet -- but I'm sure you can substitute another box of broth if you don't like it)
  10. Put in the box of broth
  11. Put the crock pot on HIGH for a couple-few hours, the reduce the heat to low
  12. Take out the hambone and remove any meat for return to the crock pot
  13. ENJOY! We're eating ours with homemade chicken salad made mayo, seasoning, and fugi apples wrapped in soft tortillas.

I used our BIG crock pot, and had hoped to include some diced celery, however, the soup grew into the pot and there was not any room for it. Maybe next time!

Oh, boy, does that sound good!!!!! So it cooks on high for a couple (2) hours, then reduce to low...how long on low should it cook? Thanks for sharing, Jill - sounds great!

We let it go on low for four or five hours, but I think you could leave it on high or medium for less time. It was mostly about the beans becoming done and soft.

Latest posts

Back