Slinky's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
do you all put them on. Cripes is there an easy way :arg! Full body.... I bath my guys alot and always stall w/slinky to dry. All summer I struggled getting the head part on straight and quick before their legs wanted to buckle and they could roll. Once the head is in and ears ...Im fine but there has to be a better way to get it straight on their head than what Im doing. any suggestions. Am I the only slinky dummy?
default_frusty.gif

I like the ones that have a zipper from the muzzle down to the chest. They unzip completely in half, you lay it over your horse, and zip it up. They seem hard to find in mini sizes, but if your handy with a sewing machine, you could probably cut a slinky and add one. I cant sew well, so I order them from Sleezy Barb Horsewear

I have bought my lycra horse wear from Barb for over 10 years, even "sleezy sleepwear" (the expencive "top of the line" brand name) doesn't compare to Barbs.

Well I never get it 100% right when I put it on either but its no big deal to me, just get it on their head and straighten it out and just finish putting it on, no worries.

Are your horses fussing with you everytime your trying to put it on or what? If you don't want them to roll then before you put them in the stall put the slinky on first. I really don't care so much for the zipper ones. If I had one I probably wouldn't even bother unzipping it. I really like the sleazy sleepwear personally, never personally used Barb's horsewear, but yes the sleazy sleepwear is a lil more expensive its just like a lil less then $10 more then Barbs.

I don't have full body ones, but for our big horse's head and neck one (which is probably the same size as a mini full body
default_laugh.png
), I pull it up in my hands like you would do with nylon stockings. Put it on the head and they pull it out over the rest of the body.

I like the ones that have a zipper from the muzzle down to the chest. They unzip completely in half, you lay it over your horse, and zip it up. They seem hard to find in mini sizes, but if your handy with a sewing machine, you could probably cut a slinky and add one. I cant sew well, so I order them from Sleezy Barb Horsewear

I have bought my lycra horse wear from Barb for over 10 years, even "sleezy sleepwear" (the expencive "top of the line" brand name) doesn't compare to Barbs.

a have one of the zipper slinkys. mine is made by beautiful tails, definetley alot easier to get on

okay, I give, can somebody tell me what's a slinky and what do you put it on for? Is it top protect a cleaned horse from getting dirty?

JMS, I have several of the sleazy sleepwear ones, have used them for biggies and minis. They are my second pick, behind barbs. The price isnt the issue, its the quality. Barbs is BY FAR superior in quality. My barbs sleazys are actually more expencive than sleezy, because I add the zipper, and I also get the buckle girth instead of velcro. I find that with the zipper, I dont have to stretch the hoods to get them on, so it helps the lycra last longer, if that makes sense. I get the plastic buckle instead of velcro, because although I fasten all of my velcro before I wash, it always comes undone and snags my hoods up. Another plus about barbs is if you have a odd sized horse, she will custom make your hood to your exact measurements. Ive tried other people who make hoods, and havent been satisfied. Barb does it as a full time business, and has been around as long as I can remember (started using her hoods when I started showing AQHA, she had a booth set up at congress)

One brand I cant get to fit my horses right are the schneiders ones. The eye hole / ear holes never stay in place right, and I tried every size of their hoods. My horses end up with their ears in the eye holes, and their eyes covered.

I do the same thing RhineStone does and I don't have any problems. I also have a forgiving horse who doesn't mind being blind for a few seconds... That helps a lot.

ETA: I have Barb's and I love them. Very customizable to get exactly what suits you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have one suggestion, never leave your horse alone with a hood slinky on. My daughter bathed her gelding at a show and put his slinky hood on for the night, to keep him clean. The next morning the slinky had irratated his eyes by rubbing and he could barly open them. We used eye ointment and got them open, but when my grandson was showing him he still couldn't get his eyes all the way open. We don't use them anymore unless attended. We bath maybe put one on, then take it off before leaving the barn, I'd rather have a dirty horse to rebath then a squinty eyed one. sorry for the late post, phones have been out for a week.

Thanks everyone...will have to look into the zipper ones

Theresa, excellent point...it happened to me once...eye was fine but i felt terible...I left it on over night and the next morning it was all twisted over one eye. Luckily for me and her she never tried to rub it off and I guess I was just lucky.. but since that time they are only left on a couple hours while Im right around the barn. ive seen many on stalled horses at shows but i guess an accident only has to happen once to get you to sit up and take notice.

We used the zippered ones on big horses when we were showing, but haven't seen them in mini size. I use the ones from Supreme Equine, and they last forever. Most horses learn pretty quickly that having their eyes covered for a couple of seconds isn't the end of the world lol.

I always leave them on overnight when showing, have had them slip around a time or two but what I've done when they are a little snug, or the eye holes are maybe a little close, is to just cut a slit to enlarge it. If I were more ambitious I'd enlarge the eye holes and restitch it but what I do works.
default_smile.png

Jan

In a pinch, Ive cut the "head" off and sewed the seam. It doesnt keep their head clean, but still layed the mane down nice, and kept the neck clean. This was after my old "clothing destructor" decided to ruin the other slinky I had in his size. This fit, but the eye holes were rubbing him. I didnt have anything else to put on him, but this took about 5 minutes, and worked like a charm in the situation.

Latest posts

Back