Slight Overbite?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbroke Farms

Reaction score
My yearling filly has a slight overbite. It is about 1/4 tooth off. I know that the rule of showing is 1/2 a tooth off, but is there anything I should do to help correct it? Is there anything that can be done? Or should I just not sweat it?

I'd heard that if they are about 1/4 tooth off that a good vet can file the teeth appropriately to help correct the bite. But then I have also heard from other sources that it very well could straighten out completely once she matures more.

Any experiences?

A slight overbite is actually considered normal bite for horses. But having said that you will want to have the teeth examined every so often to have any hooks floated off. If she has hooks it could force her jaw out of position and the bite WILL likely go off and get worse and worse.

Young growing horses need to be watched closely for hooks because this is their growing time and a problem left unattended can become permanent.

I bet your little girl does well in the show ring for you! It sounds like you are on top of everything.

Charlotte

I've seen "bad" bites correct with floating and have had them floated on horses only a year or so old in the past.

A One-Quarter tooth off bite isn't that uncommon for a growing yearling. But I would have her mouth checked for points or hooks just incase.

What Miniv said....
default_yes.gif
!

Margo

My yearling filly was off just a bit last year. It corrected itself as she aged just fine. She's two and her bite is perfect again. I wouldn't sweat it, just watch. It'll probably correct itself. I would file it unless it becomes necessary becuase it may cause problems later on if you mess with it.

I would check her for other tooth problems, but leave this particular one alone for now.
default_smile.png

I had a buyer look at a filly at about 10 months. Prior to that moment, her bite was perfect. It went a teeny bit under that day. It was a real surprise. The buyer bargained with me and got me to lower the price, I felt bad and I did. She didn't buy that filly then came back a few months later and wanted her, of course the bite was right on and she wanted her for the off bite price. She got her for the off bite price. Darn!

Latest posts

Back