Sleds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
I really want to sled behind Chaos. I have read a bit about it, watched videos, read Chimacum's blog entry. Those ice fishing/cargo sleds are so pricy though, not sure I can defend buying one. I have been checking daily on craigslist and my local FB marketplace for weeks. Do you think the Shappell JSR Jet Sled Jr would be big enough? It is 21 x 43 x 8-Inch. Amazon.com

It works--I have a Koenders sled that is about that same size and can use a mini to pull it. A straw bale fits in it to sit on. I haven't hitched any one up in years--too cold, too much snow. I've considered adding shafts but for me it's not worth the cost.

Cayuse has/had an otter sled. That seems to be what I need. I hesitated to buy a sled years ago as we so seldom get snow. But we've had snow the last two years! And all I have is a silly saucer. It's a little tough keeping my legs stuck straight out all the time. But wheee!! Today was a fun snow day.snow horse.jpg

Dangit now of course they raised the price, sigh. It was $34 when I found it. Ah well the search continues.

Cayuse has/had an otter sled. That seems to be what I need. I hesitated to buy a sled years ago as we so seldom get snow. But we've had snow the last two years! And all I have is a silly saucer. It's a little tough keeping my legs stuck straight out all the time. But wheee!! Today was a fun snow day.View attachment 45900
Marsha, that has to be a good work out for you too. I know my quads (thigh muscles) would be burning while holding my feet up!!!

Tracking said my sled was to be delivered on Tuesday. Didn't come. Then we had two days of snow! The sled was delivered today and the snow is all gone. AND the fed ex driver called; he was stuck on one of the dirt back roads and wanted to know if we knew someone who could pull him out. We've done that before with our little tractor and vowed not to do it again. Our chains are too short and our tractor is too little. I called a neighbor with a 1 ton pickup and he pulled the fed ex guy out. So the sled has arrived. Now, when will there ever be snow again??

Tracking said my sled was to be delivered on Tuesday. Didn't come. Then we had two days of snow! The sled was delivered today and the snow is all gone. AND the fed ex driver called; he was stuck on one of the dirt back roads and wanted to know if we knew someone who could pull him out. We've done that before with our little tractor and vowed not to do it again. Our chains are too short and our tractor is too little. I called a neighbor with a 1 ton pickup and he pulled the fed ex guy out. So the sled has arrived. Now, when will there ever be snow again??
Marsha, I hope you will get to try out your sled. What's the irony of the snow delaying the sled after the snow is gone.

Oh geez. We got our at last, and our snow is still around but too crusty. Need to spend the time setting it up now and getting it all figured out for when we have fresh snow! Not sure where to even take it. The street is no go of course, and my yard is too small I think. If I take it to the park I would have to carry it... I will have to figure it out!

Just a heads up, the sled sounds a lot different than a cart and it took my guys a few minutes to get used to the noise, I just dragged it beside them with a little weight in it and after a few stops and starts they were fine :).
Did you get a big sled, like an otter sled or a small one? I've used both. I liked the small one best but I needed a seat (1/2 bale of hay) because of my arthritis so we got the otter sled. Have fun!

Problems we don't have in Canada: Snow for two days and gone the third... However, oddly, this year we're having unusually warm weather this February and it's melted a good portion! Not so bad, my littles will be able to get out in the field without going through 3+ ft of snow drift!
On the topic of sleds, I bought a second hand "calf sled" with shafts made by Patty's Pony Place in Alberta, Canada. It cost me $500 CAD (probably $325 USD) the shafts are heavy but what a great piece of kit!
We've had snow since November, and it was a bit late in coming.
Best wishes for loads of fun in the snow with your pony! <3

Attachments

• Ali Jasmine 2.jpg
    Ali Jasmine 2.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 4
Just a heads up, the sled sounds a lot different than a cart and it took my guys a few minutes to get used to the noise, I just dragged it beside them with a little weight in it and after a few stops and starts they were fine :).
Did you get a big sled, like an otter sled or a small one? I've used both. I liked the small one best but I needed a seat (1/2 bale of hay) because of my arthritis so we got the otter sled. Have fun!
That must be why Dapper Dan has such a hard time with the sled. I think of him as Mr Reliable, but the sled is a big challenge for him. Midnight just does straight ahead. My sled is little. I could probably put a bag of feed or a bale on it in a pinch. But we never have enough snow to make that an issue. I just wanted something I could get on without having to hold my legs straight out in the air! Hope I get to try it out before I get too old--sometimes we don't have snow for 2-3 straight years.

I never thought of a sled! What a wonderful idea! Seems like there's not much fun to be had with the littles in the winter, other than mere survival like dragging buckets of fresh water out to everyone with below zero temps and wind chills. Couldn't do it this year as they aren't yet trained to drive at all (I'm not trained either!) But I love the thought. Can't sympathize with the lack of snow--sorry. It's been fairly mild here this winter too but we certainly have our fair share of snow--come to Northern Michigan or Canada. We can share ours :) LOL

Latest posts

Back