Skunked!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret

Reaction score
Max has the run of an acre of a whole pasture, with trees, but a few nights ago he must have run into a skunk..
default_no.gif

I suppose he thought he would get in real close, and check the little guy out, and had himself a smelly encounter.

It smells like he got sprayed on his head, and neck, and Im wondering what can get this stuff out..

Someone wants to stop by to see him, but I cant let them see him smelling like this.
default_shutup.gif

His eyes are clear, but his face and forlock have got most of the scent.

Has anyone ever had this problem,
default_unsure.png
and found a good soulution?

Thanks for any suggestions.
default_saludando.gif

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomato Juice, put it on him, rub it in and let set a few minutes, the rinse. Should do it.

Yuck! There are several things you can buy but I use the old standby of tomato juice, especially if it is on the face.

I had about 6 of my mares all get skunked back in March, everytime the smell would go away, theyd get skuned again, happeped 4 times, so I guess they didnt learn
default_biggrin.png
I guess that little black and white fuzzy thing was too interesting to pass up
default_wacko.png

Years ago we raised scottish terriers. They live to do battle with skunks. We bought a product called Nature's Way Skunk Be Gone. It reacts chemically with the spray of the skunk and eliminates it completely. You wipe it on the animal, let it sit for five minutes and you don't even have to wash it off if I remember correctly. At any rate, the directions are on the bottle. If you live in an area where skunks are frequent guests, having a quart on hand is a good thing.
default_wacko.png

I forgot to add that you can buy this stuff or something like it at most pet stores in the doggy section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Petco also has a skunk deoderizer that worked on one of our corgi's that got it this year. The tomato wrked kinda sort of, but this stuff knocked it completely out in one application.

One other note watch the skunks as they are the biggest carriers of rabies in the wild kingdom.

Good Luck,

Ok here's my tried and true skunk remover, that as an owner of JRT's gets put to use several times a year (tried tomatoe juice and just ended up with smelly pinkish red dogs, lol).

1 cup baking soda

1/2 cup peroxide

1 tbsp of Dawn dish soap

1 gal warm water

Mix in an open container, and rub into animals hair well (be careful NOT ot get it into the eyes), let sit for 5 mins and then wash out with regular shampoo, condition well.

It works wonders, even has gotten the smell out of nylon dog collars when soaked overnight. Gets the smell out of clothes when soaked overnight, and works on humans (yep I got skunked this year,
default_no.gif
).

Latest posts

Back