skunk tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn R

Reaction score
Okay a redneck question here, for baiting while taking photos, does a slightly scented tail work as well or better than a completely tanned/scent free one. I know, how hick can you get, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about scent, but I bought a complete hide (tanned) on ebay. All I wanted was a lot of color. It works like a charm for getting ears. Now I can even take pictures with my dear, but horse-posing challenged husband!

I definitely get a better reaction with a smellier tail. To "refresh" my tails, I just spritz them with a little water and let them sit for an hour or so.

Smelly definitely works better for me. Thanks for the tip to get them smelly again Tiff.

I have never used a skunk tail, would waving the whole one work?

She's very cute!!!
default_yes.gif

I definitely get a better reaction with a smellier tail. To "refresh" my tails, I just spritz them with a little water and let them sit for an hour or so.
too funny. I went on a snipping escapade. Tried to use the wire cutting portion on needle nose pliers, not big enough. Hubby is not home so I enlisted my cousin to join me on a redneck adventure. FYI for anyone as pathetic as me, long handled garden pruners work well, LOL. It is slightly scented as the scent glands were not ruptured, only horse people
default_smile.png
Nothing like plucking the tails off of roadkill

A trick used here by pro photographers, is a mirror. Just "wiggle" it to catch the horse's attention. Works like a charm, and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY less smelly!!!
default_biggrin.png

Never thought of ROADKILL - got it all the time! Snip Snip Snip!

Ok, I am a real newbie on this! You use skunk tails to get the horses to pose? Yuck! LOL Wouldn't a favorite treat work too?

Another little tip for anyone that has a hard time getting good expression in the pasture - I attached one of my skunk tails to the end of a dowel, and now I just dangle it out there when I'm alone. The hubby also uses it when we're trying to get good action shots (he's my honorary chaser):

skunkday.jpg

I don't see many skunk road kills around here. I guess a possum tail wouldn't do as much. I see the occassional racoon kill, but I'm not brave enough to get either one. My boy really gives me good expression for the crinkle of the peppermint candy wrappers. Thank goodness for that.

default_laugh.png
This is funny!

Just be careful with roadkill. A few years back a guy had a skunk hanging around his house. It wouldn't go away so he shot it. He then pelted it and the oils off of the hide gave the man rabies as the skunk had it.

new_shocked.gif
SKUNK TAILS !!!!

laugh.gif
I have NEVER heard of this ... I always just make weird noises ... now I know the insiders secret
aktion033.gif

Just be careful with roadkill. A few years back a guy had a skunk hanging around his house. It wouldn't go away so he shot it. He then pelted it and the oils off of the hide gave the man rabies as the skunk had it.
I agree with taking caution with rabies,The rabies virus is in the saliva, and can die off in a few hours in hot temps or a few months in freezing temps. We had rubber gloves and long handled pruner/nippers, it is being hung out right now. I am set to clean it with gloved hands in a bleach solution just incase, a good point to pass on.

I threaten my horses with "Show me your ears or I'll get one of daddy's socks!"
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back