Skunk Solutions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viki

Reaction score
I am having a skunk problem in my barn! I have a bunch of barn cats and put out food for them around 5 a.m. each day and pick it up in the evening after feeding the horses. I cant wait till later to put out the food because of my work schedule. (I'm at work at 6 a.m.) So, how do I get the skunks to move on???? Any ideas?

Viki

Have you got a loft or some place off the ground you could feed the cats?

Viki,

I had a problem with skunks under my tackroom. My farrier said to put out moth balls as they don't like the smell of them. I tried it and he was right, they left and didn't come back. Hope it helps you.

Judy

Take some old perfume or aftershave lotion & spray or sprinkle it around out in the barn & they should leave. It does work. My dog got sprayed in where the chickens are & I took out some old Stetson aftershave & sprayed around where he was & out he ran right in front of me. Haven't seen him since. Scared me when he came out, but ran right passed.

Thanks everyone! I'll try the moth balls AND perfume!

Viki

Take some old perfume or aftershave lotion & spray or sprinkle it around out in the barn & they should leave. It does work. My dog got sprayed in where the chickens are & I took out some old Stetson aftershave & sprayed around where he was & out he ran right in front of me. Haven't seen him since. Scared me when he came out, but ran right passed.
That's hilarious. So the stinky little critters don't like perfume but can stand to be with each other. I mean really think about this. You go Pepe LePew!

Be careful with te maoth balls, they are deadly. You dont want the cats ro anything else eatting them.

Anytime I smell a skunk, it makes me happy my horses are kept UTD on their rabies shots...

We haven't had a problem with any of them hanging around (our dogs probably are a deterrent) but skunks are sometimes hit on our road.

Get a shot gun! (of course your barn will look like swiss cheese.
default_laugh.png
)

I forgot about the perfumy stuff, but it has worked for me before. Skunk living in culvert....I sprayed the area with a strong smelling shower and tub cleaner. (that was all I had with a strong smell)
default_saludando.gif
skunk!

I've had real good luck with Irish Spring bath soap too. Chunks of it. Stays smelling strong for a long time. I would think it to be fairly safe around horses?

Skunks just scare the pants off me. Rabies
default_new_shocked.gif
In northern IL it was bats that were the primary carrier.

Good luck!

Charlotte

Get a shot gun! (of course your barn will look like swiss cheese.
default_laugh.png
)
Charlotte
Been there, done that! Only one hole in the barn wall, though, LOL, and it was the barn at the old place so not too bad. Darn thing was sitting right there in the stall...

Hire someone to get rid of them for you. You can set live traps, but you need to put the cats away for a few days while the traps are out. You can sometimes just call the division of agriculture or wildlife and they'll loan out traps. Then hire someone to come get rid of them. Never shoot them! They release all their spray. The only way they won't is if they are being constantly drowned with a hose. For some reason they won't spray then.

My solution for skunks, opossums, raccoons is a Remington 12 guage shotgun!
default_wink.png
I have gotten 2 of each this summer already!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas! The Wildlife Dept here said ammonia! Of all things! I'm going out now to pour ammonia at all the entrances to the barn...after I make sure no skunks are sleeping in there! Then, I will put out moth balls where they have been digging and cover with a little dirt. Sure hopes this works!

No guns here. I used a SHOVEL last weekend to dispatch a youngster! It was pretty amazing that I had the guts to do that! LOL

default_wacko.png
No, Stephanie, I dont WANT to get sprayed. I THOUGHT I was pretty safe because it was so young. I was safe to a point. My shoes and socks had to be thrown away.
default_new_shocked.gif
At least it didnt get on the rest of me!
default_rolleyes.gif

Viki

Oh my...Can you imagine if you had gotten some on your skin? I bet your coworkers would have loved you!

Latest posts

Back