Skin Scrape experience

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Too my horse today for the skin scrape. He asked me what all I was trying, and of course I had a list a mile long.

He took scrapes from three or four spots and checked under the microscope. He couldn't find mites, so he came back and scraped a few more areas. No mites.

He suspects a fungal problem and prescribed bathing the hrose twice a week, alternating between two different fungal shampoos, as there are different kinds of fungi.

I asked about the biopsy and he seemed reluctant to do it and kept advising the shampoo treatment. I finally agreed to that, but by the time I got in to pay, I decided to assert my opinion and insist on the biopsy.

I take him in next week. I am to use no treatments on him for 7 days, or the biopsy would be compromised. I will take him in in the morning and leave him, as it will require sedation and stitches.

The biopsy SHOULD show: what kind of fungus, if any; bacteria presence; and any mites.

My thinking is, I can bathe him for 3 weeks, twice a week with shampoos that will cost me roughly $70+. Then at the end of that time, he MIGHT clear up if it is a fungus, but I won't know which shampoo worked, as the two shampoos treat different fungus. Or, he MIGHT not be better at all and I would still be looking at a biopsy. There is also an internal fungal treatment, but it has side effects so it would not be an option unless it was a last resort.

I am tired of messing around with this. Every day he has more spots and looks more moth-eaten. I am inclined to agree with the vet that it is a fungus, though, as I don't think he is itching badly enough for mites. The good news, is fungus is cureable! And more good news, my other horse is not affected by it at all so it must not be contagious.

I don't have experience with skin disorders, so I am basing my decision to biopsy on what other horse and dog owners have found.

I'm glad your doing the biopsy. It will put a name to whatever he has. I cleared mine up with lime sulfur is that one of the shampoos he suggested?

I mentioned the lime sulphur to his helper and she had never heard of it. I forgot to mention it to the vet himself. The shampoos were the yeast infection one and an iodine one. I've used the iodine one on him and it made no difference at all. The yeast one helped a few areas, I think.

If it were strictly a fungal thing, don't you think that I would have seen signs of it when I clipped off the winter hair?

default_wacko.png

If it were strictly a fungal thing, don't you think that I would have seen signs of it when I clipped off the winter hair?

Not necessarily.

Beings from Florida I think I've seen every skin problem ever invented.

Its good that you clipped him off and the hair growing back in can also be itchy. Betadine and Iodine shampoos are great for skin problems when you lather and let it sit on the body for several minutes as well as fungasol spray from Jeffers and full strength listerne or massengil desposible duche (yellow) applied in the problem areas. http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/search_re...ipp=10&c=11

Keep in mind that with all the rain you have had, unless he is in the barn under a fan and staying dry and cool, the moisture and extreme heat can surely cause rainrot type conditions easily. He could also have allergys or be allergic to something you are feeding or a certain weed that may be growing around him. Last but not least, if he is getting sweaty it needs to be rinsed off. Absorbine makes a great after workout product to sponge on called Refreshhermint that cuts the sweat right off. A must have on my wash rack. http://www.stcroixsaddlery.com/Absorbine_R...ol_refresh1.htm

Don't forget bugs or biting flies can set some horses off easily too.

I hope you get to the bottom of it. I know this is annoying.
default_saludando.gif

Thanks for the ideas, Marty. I think I have tried all of them.

We are very dry in my part of OK. Hot temperatures and hot wind--not good conditions for fungus. He is out on pasture, mostly, with access to lots of shade if he chooses. Flies are not really a problem here. And no gnats right now, either. Not even a mosquito. He's been on antihistimine for three weeks and it didn't make a speck of difference.

I've had horses get a fungal patch occasionally, but it always goes away after a few treatments. I think this horse has something going on internally.

I am using the same brushes on both horses. Whatever it is, thank goodness it isnt' contagious. Maybe I will wash them all in a bleach bath today. I haven't thought of doing that and it can't hurt.

Do certain lines of horses have skin problems, like dogs? Other physical disorders are passed on, so why not skin problems? How would one know? This horse is a gelding, so he is the end of the line. But what if I WERE breeding him?

Do certain lines of horses have skin problems, like dogs?

What a great question!

I don't know but I would assume its feasible. My GSD Tracey had gobs of skin issues same as her mother. So when I purchased Amy, (GSD) I did include investigating both parents and grandparents who were on sight as well for that reason.

Good luck with your dilemna.

I just saw this post and am really watching it as it may help w/one of my horses. Is this rash ( not sure what you call it ) all over your horse or only on certain parts. Will be interrested to hear out come of skin scrapes as Im thinking I will have to do the same w/one of mine.

What did the biopsy show? Would LOVE to put a name to the skin crud.

My vet did a scaping which showed nothing.

I also did the yeast and iodine and the diluted bleach and 2 other over the counter horse shampoos, fungus powder and spray all made no difference. I would STRONGLY suggest the LymDyp or Lime sulfur (from the elevator) I can promise you it will help.

Let us know what you find out.

Latest posts

Back