Skin scrape/Biopsy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my horse in for the skin biopsy this morning. I could not bathe him or use anything on him for 7 days prior to this. I left him at the vet's about 8:30 this morning and he was ready to come home about 2. He has an incision about 2 inches long with staples. Have to go back in 10 days to have htem removed. One one area was biopsied.

2 weeks to find out the results and 3 weeks for the fungal report, as that is how long it takes to culture them. I can start bathing him again in 2 days.

I had him tested for bacterial infection, fungal types, insects, and also the test for autoimmune. So, I will be relieved to find out what is going on, and will certainly pass on the results. Do not know the cost of the tests, as I did not ask. I am expecting in the $200 range.

Now, if after all of this I find out NOTHING I will be a gibbering idiot.

Oh Marsha, I feel for you, it's the uncertainty of not knowing that drives us all crazy. I do hope they can find out what is wrong with your horse and better still be able to fix it. I'll keep your horse in my thoughts and prayers.

Yvonne

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. With that BATTERY of test they are bound to find SOMETHING.

I asked if I should pay that day and was told that they didn't know how much it would cost yet. Sounds scary, I know, but they only charged me $22 for the skin scrape visit so I didn't get too worried. I am thinking that if it is something glaring, the lab will know right away what it is. If it is something obscure, I will have to wait for the cultures.

In case anyone is interested, I took a picture of the biopsy site yesterday. It is about 2 inches long with 4 staples. You can see a few patchy areas around it. The inscision is on his lower shoulder. Some areas were worse, so not sure why he picked this spot to biopsy. It is right where the harness breast strap would rub so it will be a while before he can drive again.

I can bathe him today. Yay! He is a dirty boy, and I am ready to wash all the parade paint off him.

www.cassphoto.com/skinbiopsy.jpg

Latest posts

Back