Size of rider for this mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adell Equine

Reaction score
I was wondering what size would be safe for this mini to carry. I think (read didn't measure him) he is 34 inches tall. He is very solid. I think I have read something like 20%. So with guessing he is about 400 lbs would = 80lbs?

We are going to try to sell him, but I would like to have a good idea what someone could have him carry. Or if he is not sold, then what we could do with him. We have been told his is broke to ride, but we didn't really get much information about what he could do.

Here are his photos.

DSC09409.jpg

DSC09414.jpg

DSC09422.jpg

My opinion would be to not put anybody over 50 lbs on a miniature. Best bet is to get him broke to drive. They can easily pull their weight plus on solid surfaces.

I think 80 pounds is way out of line.

35-40 at the most IMO

A mini the size of your guy can safely carry up to about 40 lbs but he will be more comfortable with less weight than that. He would be best suited for leadline for chidren say 5 yrs and younger (of course depending on their weight), so he would be considered for toddlers. He would probably be marketable for leadline birthday parties and photo shoots with kids sitting on him. You would need to put a weight tape on him but he will weigh more like 250 pounds. Most of my 44-46" tall (stoutly made) Shetlands do not go over 300 to 350 lbs when put on a scale at the vet clinic. Hope that helps!

I don't think there is any way he is 400 pounds. He looks to be maybe 300 if your lucky. I am guessing 250-275. Anyhow, yes get a weight tape, not just for the reference as to how much he can hold, but just so you have an accurate weight incase you need to administer meds.

Carolyn

Well, I use Kgs, but even estimating, Rabbit, all 28" of him weighs 120 Kgs (x 2.2 = 264lbs) so I do think there is a good chance this chap tops 300lbs, easily.

I will see if I have a tape around, and give him a measure and weight.

Thanks for you help everyone.

Oh ruffian - He is broke to drive, but due to an bad accident that my mom had with driving (full size horses) she is not ok with her grandbabies in a cart. Even if I think he/they would be fine, I have to respect her wishes as well.

My guess is he weighs less than that also, 250-300 is a high estimate. I would not put anyone over 40 pounds on him. HE can pull probably 400 but not carry more than 40.

Lyn

Before you advertise your little guy as "broke to ride" you'd better make sure he is. If a buyer comes to look at him and wants to set their little darling on him, they won't want to see a rodeo.

He is a showy boy!

I just had my 34" boy weighed at the grain elevator. He weighed 300#. If you have a public scale near you, it might be fun to take him to be weighed. Some vet scales go that high, too.

Latest posts

Back