size difference of pasture mates

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crponies

Reaction score
I would definitely not put a miniature or small pony with a big horse. I know some people do so without incident but it would just be too much of a risk in my mind. My question is though, where do you draw the line? My ponies range in height from about 38" to 44". What's the biggest horse/pony you would put in with them? What's the smallest? Just how much difference is okay in your opinion.

Ohh you will be fine with a small pony, i have some larger shetlands in the 42-44" height range and then my minis range from 28-38" ..they are fine. I have a weanling filly (miniature filly) that is up to be shown next year and she is drylotted during the day with my 42-44" shetlands as well as other minis ranging 30-38". I dont think i would put anything in over 50" with the minis ..smaller ponies with them i feel okay, but i just feel strongly agianst pasturing biggies and littles
default_smile.png
. Of course temperment will make the difference but i feel "safe" with them heights together ....

Mine are all fine together ...they all play and from time to time rough house but they are fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
So very much of having successful pasture mates depends on the personality of the animals, not just size. Two neighbors have a mini with big horse and no issues whatsoever. But, they are calm horses, were fenceline introduced, have large pastures to roam, etc. I have a B mare and a tiny 27" mare who are best friends! They eat together, groom, etc. The tall mare was at the bottom of the pecking order in the group her size, so I moved her because of that. The small mare was more assertive in her group than this mare would ever have been but, not mean. The little one kinda took up for her when the other small mares shooed her off. It has worked out fine.

Hot blooded, stallions, ill tempered &/or very dominant are things to be extremely cautious over.

I often look to who is compatibe at the feed trough, who needs same type feed, etc. Have a field of mares who are 20+, the don't fight anymore
default_biggrin.png
So, only non-agressive types in that group, and those who need their type feed, shelter, grass, etc. They still enjoy the foals, so I sometimes put a couple of the younger mares with foals in for some "grandma" time.

Know their personalities, any special needs or concerns, go from there.

We have a big modern pony (haven't measured yet but probably 45") and he plays regularly with my 25" and 32" geldings. In fact, the 25" gelding often stands under the shetland and i had to yell at him the other day for biting the shetland's belly. Our mares are the challenge. They bicker no matter what size they are.

We manage things a lot like Bess Kelly. How personalities mix and what their needs are for feeding........is more important than height. Our minis/ponies range in height from 26 inches to 38 inches, but that difference doesn't seem to matter.

Right now I have a 25" yearling colt, 30" yearling colt, 34" stallion and 39" gelding all sharing a pasture. They all do fine, they seem to play the most with the one closer to their size.
default_smile.png
It worked out here because the stallion is very mellow and tolerant, and everyone's personalities fit.

Latest posts

Back