Single Rotated Fetlock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awkward Artsy

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience/ know what would cause a somewhat sudden fetlock rotation?
My mini is full grown, and has recently started to develop a fetlock rotation in one of his back legs. This is causing him to put too much weight on one side of his hoof so now it's getting to where it looks like his hoof is wanting to stand mostly on its outer side.
He was not like this before and stands correct when squared. He shows no signs of lameness and has no swelling or obvious heat in his leg. He was seen be the chiropractor back in November, and is regularly seen by a farrier. We are trying a shorter trim cycle (4 weeks) to see if it helps.

I know minis are not normally shod but would temporary shoing possibly help? I have easy boots but I only have two and that would probably be awkward just putting them on on his back feet.

Could you post a picture? Or a video of him moving? Pictures would be a big help.
I wonder if he is loading the hoof awkwardly because he is compensating for some discomfort higher up, maybe the stifle or sacroiliac area. I had a mare with sacroiliac problems and she would stand oddly behind.
I would think shoes might help but you would probably have to pinpoint the cause of the rotation to know exactly how to proceed.
Any chance he may have a hoof abcess and that is making him stand funny?

No abscess that I can see or feel. I've contacted the chiropractor last night and as soon as this while coronavirus thing dies down in our area she says she would come out for another adjustment. I agree that I think he is trying to compensate for something higher up. I wont be able to get pictures till tomorrow as it is too wet to get anything at the moment.

You might need xrays. Maybe the chiro can figure it out. My older gelding will get to frolicking in the mud and then I notice he has stifle trouble. The slippery footing must cause it. Now I try to keep him more confined to a flat area when it's wet.

You might need xrays. Maybe the chiro can figure it out. My older gelding will get to frolicking in the mud and then I notice he has stifle trouble. The slippery footing must cause it. Now I try to keep him more confined to a flat area when it's wet.

Sadly I dont have the money right now for an x-ray since I've been having health troubles with my dog. I contacted my chiro yesterday and she said she'll be glad to come out as soon as the coronavirus situation gets better. In the mean time my farrier is trimming to balance (infact he has an appointment this weekend) he's actually knowledgeable in trimming minis. It's just developed in the last month so I thought it odd.

Latest posts

Back