similac for a foal? or ultra start

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagles ring farm

Reaction score
my vet recommended similac she was not farmiliar with ultra start (Bovine colustrum) (sp)

for mare with very little milk only on 1 side

any experience

Please

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a new foal Lori? I may have missed a post.

I would do a few things while giving the foal Mares match or another brand of milk replacement. I think you can get Mares Match at Woodstown Ice and Coal, give them a call.If it is a little older foal you may want to get some foal lac pellets, sometimes the foals like them and they are really good for them.

Warm wet compresses just before you try to milk her every 2 hours. Frequent warm wet compresses really help.You may wish to try to milk the mare to actualy stimulate milk production if the foal isn't doing a good job at it.

Call the vet, get her to call in a prescription to Wedgewood Pharmacy( I have the number somewhere) to have them make Domperidone, to help bring in the mare's milk. They can overnight it to you. It is amazing stuff and will bring milk in a mare that isn't even pregnant. Too bad, I just gave the last of mine away to another friend. I am sorry.

Also ask the vet about small doses of... I think it is Oxytocin... I think you give it about half an hour before you milk the mare to help her with milk let down. It helps a lot.

In a case of poor milk production, try to give the mares some nice leafy alfalfa hay.

Good luck!

Robin

Hi Robin

we had a little B & W pinto filly last night

the mare only has milk in 1 utter

but her IgG came back fine I was worried and thought the other had dried up

and Courtney told me 2:30 this morning to go buy Similac so off to Rite Aid

I did but was afraid to use it never read anything about that

I did try some of the Ultra start had no luck with the bottle but the filly keeps nursing off

the side with milk now and she is doing ok

the vet will probably start her on some foallac pellets to suppliment but

will wait and see.

Thanks for all the info I printed it and will ask the vet if any will help

I wish she would bounce around more like were used to

but vet checked her out and sees no signs of problem

sending blood to check for infection but there are no indications that there are

just playing it safe .

They were in today all day under a fan

Here is marestare link

marestare

Last edited by a moderator:
Lori,

Dr. Tonja Hanyi is the one that knew all about the Domperidone and recomended it to me when I had an orphan and started my non pregnant non related mare on it, and her milk came in in 3 days, it was such a relief.

Keep trying to milk that other side, the stimulations helps as well as the warm wet compresses. If hand milking bothers her, put a little KY jelly on your fingers to make it slide more. Make sure you wash it off afterwards, in case the foal wants to try.

Good luck!

Lovely filly!

Robin

Latest posts

Back