Silver Roan ??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
Can a horse inherit both the silver and a roan gene??
wacko.gif
unsure.gif

Yes they definitely CAN, Christine
smile.gif

Here is an example of a silver bay roan.

And I have seen lots of others at a farm not too far from me over the years. :)

Susan O.

twixie16months.jpg

We have two silver dapple roans, a mother and daughter. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of them all cleaned up and beautiful at the moment, but here's one of Fergie, the dam, looking cute! She sure does change colours with the seasons, and her yearling, Gem, is the spitting image of her. This year she had a blue roan filly, no silver passed on that time!

fergie.jpg

Come to think of it ... Fergie's had a black pinto and sorrel pinto (no roan or silver passed on in either case) when bred to our bay pinto stallion, and a silver dapple roan and a blue roan when bred to the black stallion. Hmm, she's in foal to the bay pinto for next spring, sure would be fun if it was a bay roan ... maybe she's on a roll now!!
wub.gif

Fergie (Forget Me Not) is Bunny's last foal.

Yep! Silvers can also be roan. My Lonesome, who is a true bay roan, is out of a true roan silver bay mare, Mhoon's Fine Sugar. I think she's registered as a red roan, but I know the mare and she is absolutely silver bay roan.

And then my silver pinto mare has sabino roaning. Not true roan, but a roan... If that makes sense.

I had a black roan mare with double silver dapple gene... yep, anything is possible in the wonderful world of mini colors!
biggrin.gif
well almost any combination you can think of... and why stop with 2, try 3 or 4... sabino and tobiano black silver dapple roan.... etc.....
yes.gif

How about a

Smoky Silver Black Dun Roan, Snowcap, minimal Splash + Sabino????

wacko.gif

So, anyone got one????

Here is a colt that was born here a few years ago. His dam is a chocolate silver and his sire is the blue roan, Fallen Ash Scouts Good Deed.

fuz.jpg

Thanks so much guys..soooo a silver roan and a silver buckskin...gotto be hard to keep them apart IF you don't know the parents..roans got darker faces..right??
rolleyes.gif

Tami..what a BEAUT!!
wub.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember......

Horses are capable of inheriting ANY combination of colors or patterns that are possible in horses.
yes.gif
Of course, this depends on what they inherit from their parents. But whatever colors the parents carry...the offspring has the possiblity of inheriting them ALL.
biggrin.gif

Tami i was hoping you would post him one of my favs!

Latest posts

Back