Silver lovers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really enjoying all the silver horses! :)
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png

It's hard to pass up a chance to show off my girls
default_laugh.png
Even if I've already shown these pics.... I love silvers, and love seeing all the different ways it shows!

My joy, Jelly Bean

aftjb2.jpg

My lovley, Midnight Lexus, "probably" silver black, with varnish roan and some sobino thrown in?

aftlex1.jpg

Well I love the Silvers I like the way they stand out very flashy. come on guys lets see more silvers love the pictures of all the beautiful silvers.

Wow Skye is a gorgeous horse!

Kendra,

I am so sorry for your loss of Lucky - she was a beautiful girl!

Connie.....you know how much I LOVE your boy "Izon"
default_wub.png
He is spectacular!

But....I have a hard time believing he is a Silver Black.
default_unsure.png
I see no indication of Silver on him...or on either of his colts. His mane & tail are VERY black in those photos. (uless they were dyed for show?) And he shows a lot of Sabino traits & roaning, which would account for the lighter hairs in his tail (in his younger photo)

In all my 20 years of breeding Miniatures, I have NEVER seen a Silver Black who didn't have a lightened mane & tail (even after aging....some do get darker, but never jet black, just a darker gray)

You know, they can, and do, make mistakes on tests. Have you considered having him re-tested?
default_wink.png

I have a silver black (appaloosa) gelding that has a dark mane and tail. His dam is red, and carries silver, and he sired a silver dapple colt and a silver bay filly (before he was gelded) out of non-silver mares, so I know he carries silver. Here are some pics:

rage_02.jpg

rage_01.jpg

as a foal:

rage_04.jpg

In person you can tell that the silver gene is affecting his black color, it just isn't affecting it MUCH. His silver bay daughter has a dark mane and tail too, with very little lightening, and his silver dapple's son tail is mostly white, but his mane is mostly near-black. It's interesting, and it's rare, but not impossible.
default_smile.png

This is my one silver baby....she was our first born at our ranch

Tapestry's Learning To Fly
default_wub.png

P10100012.jpg

She gets more spots with every year....the winter coat she is getting now makes her look like a leopard...spots all the way down her legs.

Here's my silver dapple guy - 6 yrs old -
default_wub.png

mocko10-01-09.jpg

You tend to see more dapples when he is freshly clipped.

I have a silver black (appaloosa) gelding that has a dark mane and tail. His dam is red, and carries silver, and he sired a silver dapple colt and a silver bay filly (before he was gelded) out of non-silver mares, so I know he carries silver. Here are some pics:
rage_02.jpg

rage_01.jpg

as a foal:

rage_04.jpg

In person you can tell that the silver gene is affecting his black color, it just isn't affecting it MUCH. His silver bay daughter has a dark mane and tail too, with very little lightening, and his silver dapple's son tail is mostly white, but his mane is mostly near-black. It's interesting, and it's rare, but not impossible.
default_smile.png
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........very interesting!

Yours & Connie's are the only Silver horses I've ever seen (in person or otherwise) who didn't have an "affected" (lightened) mane and/or tail.

May I ask what colors the mares were who produced the Silver foals by your guy?

I had a surprise this year when my sorrel pinto mare had this little silver colt. She's hiding silver really well and this was her first foal. His sire is my JC'S Winnie Walker stallion that's a black white pinto. This little man does NOT have one spec of white on him any where!

007colt_edited-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........very interesting!
Yours & Connie's are the only Silver horses I've ever seen (in person or otherwise) who didn't have an "affected" (lightened) mane and/or tail.

May I ask what colors the mares were who produced the Silver foals by your guy?

The silver dapple colt was out of a black snowflake appy mare, here is a pic of the mare and colt together:

foal_sis_00.jpg

The silver bay filly was out of a bay pinto mare (who was out of a bay mare and by a black pinto stallion). This is the silver bay filly as a foal:

m_desiree_00.jpg

I need to get current pics of her still. And here is her dam:

m_secret.jpg

Actually, I have another silver bay mare, and she has a dark, mixed mane and tail as well. She's a half sister to the sire of these foals, they are both out of my red-carrying-silver mare. Interesting! I'll see if I can round up some pics that show her color too.

This is a picture of the silver dapple colt, at 2 years old early this spring. His mane is virtually unchanged from the silver gene, though his tail is mostly white. His body gets darker once he sheds his winter coat.

Silver2yearold006.jpg

Ok, I found and uploaded some pics of my other silver bay. This is a pic of her at just a few days old:

m_remmy_10.jpg

A pic of her clipped as a weanling, several months old:

m_remmy_06.jpg

Her tail had gotten almost completely white at that point. Then, as a two year old, unclipped; her tail has some black in it again, her mane is mixed, actually looking lighter than it is in person since this pic is so light:

m_remmy_07.jpg

And then as a three year old, body clipped. No "enhancements" were applied, except for hoof black on her front feet. You can just see her tail in this pic, which is light at the bottom, but it has a lot of black in it as well. I would call it "mixed". Her mane has quite a few silver hairs in it but as you can see, is mostly black. Just when we think we've figured out miniature horse colors, they throw us another curve don't they? Lol!

misc_002-1.jpg

Wow Magic! I have to say I LOVE the backdrop in your second to last post. I wish I had a backdrop like that!
default_wink.png

Lovely horses everyone and thanks for posting. I have really enjoyed looking at everybody's silver horses.

Now maybe I should start a post - "who has the most wildly marked overo"?

This is a picture of the silver dapple colt, at 2 years old early this spring. His mane is virtually unchanged from the silver gene, though his tail is mostly white. His body gets darker once he sheds his winter coat.
Silver2yearold006.jpg
Now this guy is interesting! He looks (to me) to be a Black Sabino. Has he been tested for Silver?

The Silver Bay filly too.....seems to show a lot of roaning on her body....Sabino perhaps?

I believe Connie's IZON also carries Sabino. It would be interesting to know if the Sabino gene, somehow, effects how silver manifests on black.

My very first miniature horse Mckeever was a silver bay. He is also pictured in my avatar. He was a very sweet horse. I miss him...

McKeeverintheflowers.jpg

Latest posts

Back