Silver lovers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie P

Reaction score
How many of you love silver horses or silver dapple horses? I just find them to be so beautiful. Of course conformation is my top priority and then paint a little color on. I absolutely love the overo pattern and have to say that black would probably be my most favorite color, then bay, then silver I think........................would love to hear how many love silvers.
default_biggrin.png
Now then a solid bay with chrome is stunning also!

Show us your silver/silver dapple horses. Solid and/ or pinto!
default_wub.png

Here is mine! Magic Mans All Izon Me - Silver Dapple Pinto/Tovero - Pardon his ill fitting halter. :)

_MG_0167.jpg

IZON TESTED NEGATIVE FOR THE SILVER GENE ON 11-2-09 - HE IS NOT A SILVER HORSE AFTER ALL WHICH GOES TO SHOW YOU SOMETIMES THESE TESTS CAN BE INACCURATE. I LOVE HIM JUST THE SAME SO NO WORRIES!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love them too! Here's some of mine...........

Our main herd sire, Thousand Oaks Sirs Lancelot, silver bay overo (LWO+)

Lance250A.jpg
Lance-250.jpg

A yearling daughter of Lancelot, Thousand Oaks Lancelots Lady Beth

Beth%20300%2009-0456.jpg

Bond Peppy Power

Peppy190.jpg

These are only a few....lots more can be seen on my website under "Sold".

Sharman

Have you had him lab-tested for silver? Although he is beautiful, I don't think you can have a black mane and tail on a silver black/dapple...as the gene modifies it to white/silver? Perhaps what makes his body "look" silver black, is sabino roaning. Just a guess.
default_unsure.png

Yes Sue he has been lab tested Silver Dapple Pinto.
default_wink.png
default_smile.png

Sharman - your horses are gorgeous! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
He is gorgeous!! Here are my two silvers!

TMABS Avalanche Joe-Silver dapple homozygous tovero--4 yr. old stallion

joey-1.jpg

M&Js Silver Mystique-Silver dapple tobiano--7 yr. old broodmare

DSC01387-1.jpg

Well, here is Max at 4 days when he was still a silver bay tovero (LWO+) .... he is turning gray/white like his dam now. Yes, he was tested....

Max_rt_side.jpg

I LOVE silver!
default_smile.png

Silver black appy colt

shakespeare116-7-9.jpg

Silver buckskin mare (Ee Aa Zn Crn)

cocoa38-13-9.jpg

Silver black gelding (Ee aa Zn)

cruiser6117.jpg

Silver bay mare

design58-13-9.jpg

Silver bay mare

esmquitethediva.jpg

Silver bay mare

amber45-24-9.jpg

I no longer own this silver black gelding, but LOOOOOVE his color!

4bf6792b.jpg

I also have chestnuts that carry silver, but of course you can't tell by looking at them
default_smile.png

Here's our silvers:

Copper, silver bay roan mare:

DSC_0075.jpg

Trixie, silver buckskin:

artsytrixie.png

Buster, believe he is silver buckskin (though not tested) since his points are diluted:

101_2713.jpg

Interesting, dont think I have EVER seen a silver with a dark mane or tail......... he is beautiful!!!

Well I guess I posted this in the wrong area and when I came back tonight to read it had been moved. Whoops! :) Thanks for the compliments!

Everyone has such gorgeous horses. I have really enjoyed looking at all of them! Thanks for sharing and please keep them coming! :)

Interesting, dont think I have EVER seen a silver with a dark mane or tail......... he is beautiful!!!
Me neither...I really didn't think it was possible, as the gene is a modifier, and takes the black, and changes it. This is strange...and unusual.

Has he produced silvers from non silver mares yet? What made you think he was silver...so as to make you have him tested? Interesting...

I love the silver blacks !
default_wub.png

I have one silver black pinto

my gelding Crystal Ridge Carousel Royale

One of theses days I have to take a "top view" picture,

he has the neatest starburst dapples over his loins.

crystalridgecarouselroyale002.jpg

Here is a little bit of info that I found explaining the silver gene. Info copied and pasted from The Silver Dapple Morgans Project.

What do silver dapples look like, and how is the gene inherited?

Silver dapple, sometimes simply called "silver" (Rocky Mountain Horse breeders call it "chocolate"; in Australia, it is called "taffy"), is a dilution gene that only affects black pigment, with an added affinity for lightening the mane and tail to various shades of silver gray through platinum. The name is a bit of a misnomer, as some silvers don't have dapples, other than those "good health" dapples other colors get as well.

Since the silver gene only has an effect on black-based horses, if a black, bay, brown, buckskin, etc. horse has the silver gene, it will be a silver. The manes and tails on silvers can vary in shade from stark white through very dark (often they darken with age), but they often retain a "core" of darker hair in the center of the tail and darker "roots" in the mane, with lighter hairs at the tips of the mane. A red silver (light bay silver) has a light mane and tail and chocolate or charcoal colored lower legs instead of the black points of a bay, and can be mistaken for flaxen chestnut. Black or brown silvers, a color which is common in the Rocky Mountain horse, can also be mistaken for flaxen liver chestnuts. Since the silver gene is not visible on true chestnuts- because they have no black pigment to dilute- silver can seemingly "skip" generations through chestnut "carriers". It is theorized that these "stealth silvers", along with actual silvers being mistaken for "chestnuts", enabled the color to be basically unrecognized in the Morgan breed until the present day.

The silver gene is dominant, so one parent of a silver must be silver or a chestnut carrying silver. The genetic designation for silver is "Z".

Izon's dam is a Silver Dapple Pinto and his sire is a Black, Roan, Rabicano, Medicine Hat Frame Overo.

Here is a photo of Izon as a yearling - note the light tail - his tail has obviously gotten much darker as you can see in pic on the first page.

DSCN0505.jpg

As for his foals - below are two of his colts that I believe to have the silver gene. I don't know if their new owner has ever had them tested but I would bet the answer would be yes.

2006 colt

DSCN2105.jpg

2008 colt - both colts are owned by Subres Miniatures

dakotascolt.jpg

I hope this helps some.
default_smile.png

Here's my silver black tobiano mare, Morning Glory's Silver Bullette. She's gotten darker with her summer coat and had started to roan out from the base of her mane back late this summer. Next year should be interesting. I'm thinking she is possible homozygous for the tobiano gene (sire and grandsire are both silver black tobianos that are homozygous) because she has a hidden black spot under her white hair on top of her butt (can only be seen when she's wet) and a black spot in the middle of her tail under the top layer of white tail hair but haven't had her tested.

Here's when I first got her in May '09, she was clipped three weeks prior to the photo:

100_0543.jpg

Here you can see her two-toned mane:

100_0552.jpg

These two pics were taken the end of May '09 at a show, you can see how dark she got in just a couple weeks from a clip:

100_0562.jpg

100_0568.jpg

Becky M.

I don't actually love the silvers but I seem to collect them.

Gal, silver dapple

gal09.jpg

Mouse, Gal's first and only foal so far. Silver dapple pinto, one blue eye and TINY

mouse20.jpg

mouse19.jpg

Streak, Smokey Silver Black roan.....we're working on her feet. She didn't get the best of care for a while.

streak03.jpg

Silver black mare:

P1050313.jpg

Silver bay appy filly:

P1050444.jpg

Their beautiful silver black dam:

Sunshine-body2.jpg

my 27.5" silver grulla mare:

Rosemary7.jpg

Her pretty momma-a silver red dun:

Rowena.jpg

Silver Bay pinto filly: