Silver Dilution Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
default_smile.png
Just want to let everyone know that Animal Genetics in Florida will have a Silver test available in a week or so. We are testing it out right now.

N/N No mutated sequence detected.

N/Z Heterozygous or one copy of the mutated sequence detected.

Black-based horses will be chocolate with flaxen mane and tail.

Bay-based horses will have pigment on lower legs lightened and flaxen mane and tail.

No effect on chestnut color.

Z/Z homozygous positive or two copies of mutated sequence detected.

Black-based horses will be chocolate with flaxen mane and tail.

Bay-based horses will have pigment on lower legs lightened and flaxen mane and tail.

again no apparent effect on chestnut color.

Thanks

Arne

www.equinecolortesting.com

Yeah, it's SO cool! UC Davis just sent me the results on 2 of our horses they used as controls, and I will be having more tested as well!

Now there will be an answer for "chestnuts" or "sorrels" that are really silvers or the reds that carry silver, too!

Yes the cost will be the same as all of our other tests. We are also looking for a few additional controls if anyone is interested. :bgrin

Thanks

Arne

What do you mean by a few additional controls??? (not understanding)

I am very excited about this test.

I sent in hair samples earlier this year and want to now do silver testing on those horses....will I have to repluck hair?

Sorry, what I meant was samples of horses with color pattern representative of the different silver dilution patterns. Sending samples with picture of the horse would be great.

Thanks

Arne

Arne:

That is super!

I went to the www.equinecolortesting.com website

I have a "dumb question" to ask -- How much would it cost to test one horse (one sample) for multiple factors --

Maybe Cream, Tobiano, Agouti + Lethal White -- or any other combination? Is it $25 for each thing or $25 for one sample?

I also have a horse I would want to test for Cream, Agouti, Silver (and champagne too if it were possible).

Thanks

JJay

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 25.00 per test but call me and a can get you a good price for first time submissions.
default_smile.png

default_smile.png
Just want to let everyone know that Animal Genetics in Florida will have a Silver test available in a week or so. We are testing it out right now.

Thanks

Arne

www.equinecolortesting.com
I checked out your site. As of now you don't have anything there about silver. I mean it's not one of the list to select from when looking at combinations for foal colors.

I have a silver (black) dapple pinto. Would you want it for testing or is there any point? I mean I know he's silver. He's thrown one silver pinto and one (not pinto) probably silver chestnut.

The link is www.animalgenetics.us

Thanks

Arne

Hm well this is interesting. I have a chestnut who clips out to be a true chestnut however.. that said I can see the silver in her so I cant wait to get her tested

Black Horses. When only the black factor is detected, then the horse tested homozygous for black pigment. Right? To be homozygous for black, do both parents need to be black or bay??
default_unsure.png
: I know to have a homozygous pinto, both parents need to be pinto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nancy,

In order to be homozygous for black (EE), the horse must have two parents that are "black based".

That could mean:

black

bay

buckskin

perlino

grullo

silver dapple

etc and so forth.

Also if the horse has ever produced a true sorrel, chestnut, or palomino foal, it would not be considered homozygous for black (EE).

Two ways to look at it. The parents AND the foals.

OK, I will admit I don't know much about the silver dilution, and I don't have any silvers (that I know of). How would I know if I had a horse that ought to be tested? This goes for all the other genetic tests that are offered. Is there someplace that a horse owner/breeder can find out which tests would be helpful - or even lifesaving - for which horses? I know more about the LWO test because we raise pintos, and I think more people ought to have that test done, but just aren't aware. Perhaps a little box on the websites of the companies that offer the tests?

OK, I will admit I don't know much about the silver dilution, and I don't have any silvers (that I know of). How would I know if I had a horse that ought to be tested? This goes for all the other genetic tests that are offered. Is there someplace that a horse owner/breeder can find out which tests would be helpful - or even lifesaving - for which horses? I know more about the LWO test because we raise pintos, and I think more people ought to have that test done, but just aren't aware. Perhaps a little box on the websites of the companies that offer the tests?
Other than LWO, none of the color/pattern tests are lifesaving. They are primarily to satisfy our curiosity regarding what MIGHT be produced. Certain colors/dilutions can be hidden in other colors such as Cream and Red can hide in Black, and Silver and Agouti (Bay) can hide in Chestnut/Sorrel.

Other than determining if a horse has a hidden color gene, there is no real purpose to the testing (except of course for LWO). The testing also determines if a horse is homozygous for the gene tested for, which would assure the passing on of that gene.

So my chestnut (pinto) stallion, whose dam was a silver dapple (pinto), might be hiding the silver gene? But then that would only be helpful if I had a mare that was also hiding the silver gene, right?

So my chestnut (pinto) stallion, whose dam was a silver dapple (pinto), might be hiding the silver gene? But then that would only be helpful if I had a mare that was also hiding the silver gene, right?
If your stallion carries silver he can give you silver foals when bred to black based mares, only his silver would be enough, since silver is a dominant gene.

So you could, get him tested if you would like to know.

But if he already sired a bunch of foals from black based mares and none are silver or silver bay, it would be more likely he does not carry silver.

Back