Silver Dapples........do they show well?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I'd love to have a jam up silver dapple filly someday.

Just always been crazy about that color.

Do you think that color shows well?

Actually, they do show well in my opinion.

The color is good at camoflaging dirt and it looks good when clipped.

The contrasting silvery manes always shine and make an appealing picture.

If there are dapples then that is the icing on the cake.

[SIZE=14pt]Color is like the paint on a barn. If the building is awesome then it doesnt matter what color you paint it but I would chose a red barn over a blue one because people expect barns to be red.... Anyway a good dapple will attract attention. In color classes I have seen them won by dapples and buckskins more than any other solid color. Get the fabulous conformation, look at me attitude to win and if it has dapples then more power to you![/SIZE]

Lyn

Now that is some good advice from Lyn!
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=14pt]Color is like the paint on a barn. If the building is awesome then it doesnt matter what color you paint it but I would chose a red barn over a blue one because people expect barns to be red.... Lyn[/SIZE]
Exactly.
default_wacko.png
: Color should have nothing to do with it. It's the quality of the horse over all that should make the difference. And if it happens to be a color you love than you are lucky.

I do personally believe that there are some colors that don't show well.

Solid white or nearly all white is soooo hard to keep clean. Especially if the dirt is red clay, which stains easily.

Solid red tones on a horse being shown in an arena with red clay dirt....well the horse just disappears into the dirt and can be overlooked. Red also seems to make some horses look bulkier, IMO.

Solid black is one of my favorites--it appears lean and refined and shows up against most backgrounds. It doesn't PHOTOGRAPH well though. Black does hide dirt fairly well and it hides hoof black mistakes.

Not to change your subject Marty, but how about an orange appy. I know she is chestnut but I swear this girl is a pumpkin orange. I know that a lot of people say you have to like appys or you don't and that is the way the judges are. I am wanting to show this filly this year.

I don't have an updated picture uploaded somewhere yet, but here she is as a foal, but she is a lot more orange now.

BFilly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You and I both, Sandy! My whole life revolves around appies now and it is my goal to get out there and show judges that appies are not bulky, frumpy, ugly mini's anymore. A lot of judges out there seem to skim their eyes over the appies and go straight for the pinto's IMO, i've seen it happen a LOT and it disgusts me that they'll overlook an amazing confirmationally correct appy, for the frumpy pinto next door (not saying pinto's are frumpy, I just saw this happen last year and it really was disappointing!)

You would think now days that judges would keep an open mind, and I am keeping my mind open now too because I don't know the judges around my area or if they keep open minds to appies or not but I hope they at least give a good second or third look at my appies before moving on to the solids and pinto's that have taken over the show world.

GO APPY POWER!! =) Show her, she is a doll! I bet she'll look awesome clipped down and in show condition, i'll be rooting for you!

I have to look at it from either angle, as I completly agree, it's a 'masking' color. I am not a fan of the way it makes a horses head look sometimes. It's either a blessing or a curse, and I have heard more then a few trainers say they do not prefer them to show thanks to the 'masking' effect.

That having been said I have shown one to multiple color wins (He has Amazing dapples!), and overall as well. He's also got amazing conformation, and a is an overall appealing horse. I personally think he'd be prettier all black, as the mask 'hides' how pretty his head is versus showing it off.

I think red horses, if they are turned out right, with crome, show very well. The best color is black and white though, really...IMO.

If you like to color then go find your horse that has it all plus the color you want. There are so many horses out there, and in that color as well, I just know your horse is out there somewhere Marty!! Good Luck!

Yes Sandys She is ORANGE..LOL :new_shocked: i have seen her and yep she is bright as a pumpkin!!! :lol: and I think she will do great .. For one she will really stand out and ya know Excalibur is gonna fall in LOVE :new_shocked: with her......
default_wub.png
:

Sandy she is just so precious. 100% kissable and yup, she's a punkin......I hope you do very well in the shows with her. She's really going to stand out for sure.

I love a dapple grey, black with chrome, and my favorite has always been dark bay with chrome. I always thought though that dapple greys were just gorgeous in a ring, but I don't see a lot of them anymore around.

I'll say they do:

mouseseatac05.jpg

This is Mouse one year ago, taking honors at our first AMHA show of the season, and generally one of the bigger ones.
default_smile.png
He took home several Reserve Champs and a couple Grand Champs for me as a Jr. Gelding, and he even did quite well as a weanling and yearling stallion.

Here is a photo of him taken the end of Aug. last year for a difference of coat color that varies:

mouseorsf05.jpg

Mouse ended the year being a High Point Amateur Jr. Gelding for our club, Reserve High Point two year old Gelding, he is on the AMHR All Stars (#4) in the Nation for Two Year Old Under geldings and he earned me over $150 in gelding money, about $60 cash back incentives for his GRand Champ ribbons, a cooler, a halter (both have Champion on them...so he gets to brag when he wears them), and no small amount of pride. He LOVES to show, though, and even though he's a cribber, very worth having.

Every shade is different, but all in all, if your horse is beautifully shaped, you will do just fine.

My personal favorite shades of silver are the deep chocolate near-black w/flaxen m/t (had a B mare like this), and the color of Mouse but w/the big starburst dapples like Hosscrazy's beautiful mare, Silver Mist. I dream about that mare sometimes and she's frolicking in the stars and hides in them w/her coat. Heheh, bet Liz didn't know that! What a beautiful mare so sad she's not with us anymore.

I used to be a silver dapple "snob" as in I didn't like the color, but I am beginning to really love almost every shade though I will admit I don't care much for the grey w/grey m/t variation that looks dull all the time (it's fairly rare, though).

Liz M.

Just have to jump in here and say that the only thing better than silver dapple is silver dapple pinto. This guy did pretty well for himself last year. He's gone for driving training now and I'm hoping he loves pulling that cart as much as I love driving!

awesomeHAMES.jpg

I personally love the color especially in the summer with the lighter mane/tail and large dapples and I agree that being a pinto is even better. This is a pic of one of our homebred fillies (she is also for sale! :bgrin ) .

pepper%20running%2005.jpg

Yep color don't matter to me in the least........Bay pintos are my favorites just because I tend to have quite a few, buckskins, blacks or bays or chesnuts with or without chrome, are my favorites.

I did have a silver dapple that I showed in 03, Mountian Meadows Dancing in Diamonds, pictured and showen as a 10 yr old mare (who had three foals already on the ground) She was actually my driving mare.........but I haltered her too, one of those she's already conditioned might as well, she took many grands and went Reserve National Champion too.......

fb0b23b7.jpg

We love our silver dapples. Not only do they show well in halter (I now have 2 in the hall of fame as well as both being national champions) but they look beautiful in harness. And I would rather clean a silver dapple for show than anything else we have shown--and we have all colors as well as pintos. They seem to look clean with a lot less effort than many of the others and don't show dust as easily as some in the dusty barns.

Silver Dapples and/or Flea Bitten in colour are my absolute favourites! :aktion033: One day, I hope that I will be blessed with a matched team of Flea Bitten geldings.

I have to agree that seeing a well matched pair of either colour mentioned above, under harness, brings tears of joy and envy to my eyes! It may have to do with my earlier days in Europe when carriages were the only form of transportation in our small village....no I'm not a thousand years old. In my forties actually! My relatives owned a beautiful flea bitten horse that I loved dearly.

Go for it, Marty! However, keep in mind that if you are trying to match a team it can become a real challenge.

In the spring, it's like opening a box of chocolates when you clip them. Surprise! It's difficult to believe what was under all the fur, totally different horse in colour.

Good Luck

Color really should not matter except in color class.

That said, I do appreciate the colors I like on a horse (which now is a great number of colors...).

Just a tip that is probably silly but what I have been doing the past 18mos or so is that when I see a horse that makes me say "WOW" at first, then I paint it my least favorite horse color in my mind and ask myself if I still like it.

But, for the record, silver dapple is one of my favorite colors
default_smile.png
Especially with big dapples, snow white manes and tails, and four white feet -- like my Lou and CKC's / Kim's Cole. I just love their color of silver dapple.

I think they show very well. Of course, I am biased.

I actually looked for a horse like Cole for a while. I dreamed of owning a horse with dapples and he is exactly what I wanted. It doesn't hurt that he has 4 white socks, partial bald face and a lot of dapples.

I just received a couple of trophies in the mail from Horseheads... he was the year end reserve champion Junior geldings and reserve champion in solid color! I'm very proud of him.

Cole0605--smaller.jpg

Jill mentioned her girl Lou. Lou is an incredible horse. A driving horse that anyone can drive and beautiful to boot!

I am a big-time silver fan! I love every shade, I so wanted a silver bay, but I am NOT adding to herd at this point so will have to pine away for it.
default_smile.png

Here is a full-size pic of little Alladdin, I think he showed VERY well last year, to high-point Sr. Stallion 28-30" Open and Reserve High-Point Amateur Level 1 Stallion (against all heights!) in 2005, for the NW Club.

Pangraf02.jpg

Back